Sureshot GPS - Skycaddie Sg-5

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone got one of these, i am looking at comparing the two in a view to buying one or tother.

The sureshot looks very good but the skycaddie seems bit better built?

Any comments welcome.
Thanks, Jules. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am in the market for one of the rangefinders. After our recent debates on the relative merits I'm confused as to which is best. I need one I can use to mark each hole myself as the course hasn't been mapped by any of the major manufacturers

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am in the market for one of the rangefinders. After our recent debates on the relative merits I'm confused as to which is best. I need one I can use to mark each hole myself as the course hasn't been mapped by any of the major manufacturers

Homer; Royal Ascot is now in the skycaddie list - thought I saw it a bit back but just checked & downloaded it. Hole 1, par 3 SI 10, hole 2 par 5 SI 6 - does that sound about right?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been looking into this myself. Am torn between the Caddylite or the Skycaddie 2.5 or, if I hear some postive feedback, would be tempted with the Sureshot due to the fact that it can save all of your stats etc.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been looking into this myself. Am torn between the Caddylite or the Skycaddie 2.5 or, if I hear some postive feedback, would be tempted with the Sureshot due to the fact that it can save all of your stats etc.

Can't offer a comparison, as I only got the one - the skycaddie SG2 - now superceded by the SG2.5. It's a decent size, easy to use, will list you fairway features, (distance to bunkers, distance to carry bunkers etc). The Intelli-green is good - showing outline of green and the distance to front, middle & back from whatever line of approach you're on. Keeps no stats (but you can measure length of shots). I wasn't looking for whistles & bells, and the SG2 does just what I want.

Madandra just got a caddylite - check his recent thread.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do the any/all the GPS Caddies allow for inclines and declines in terrain? I know with the Bushnell scopes you can buy versions that work out yardages taking slope into consideration.

If anyone knows this i would be interested to hear?

Thanks again.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do the any/all the GPS Caddies allow for inclines and declines in terrain? I know with the Bushnell scopes you can buy versions that work out yardages taking slope into consideration.

There probably are some available with this technology but to use that function in a competition is, alas, against the rules. So is the "distance travelled" counter on the Motocaddy S3. That is why they have provided for this function to be turned off in a comp.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cannot find any feedback on the Sureshot so am now tied between the Caddylite and the Skycaddie 2.5.

Can anyone confirm whether the Caddylite has the ability to measure shot length (I know that you can on the Skycaddie by pressing a button at the point of impact and again when you get to the ball).

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I hired a sg5 last week from my club. Didn't get a chance to fiddle with too many of the features but enough to know it's a robust bit of kit. It was half charged when I got it and lost almost no power by the time I turned it back in 18 holes later.

The Intelligreen technology is something to look for on your course- if your course has it you can count on prettymuch all the features being mapped and 'distances to' being available.

Simple, light and intuitive- I was sold on the idea within a couple of holes.

Check your course (or courses you visit) permits it as it seems that the R & A have left it to local ruling concerning such devices legality.

As someone else said, run a search on Madandra's posts on the Caddy lite.

Anything that offers slope etc. is going to be dodgy in competition IMHO.

Distances fine, anything else - forget it.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Billyg

Are you considering buying the SG-5? Do you think it helped your game? Still undecided if they are worth the money...

I will search for the previous post, i am not looking at using it during comps, so should be ok on that front.

Thanks,

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why would you not use it in comps? (Unless your comp has not passed a local rule approving it)

I'm really tempted by one of these but I can't find enough info on individul systems on each system to let me make an informed choice as to which is best.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm really tempted by one of these but I can't find enough info on individul systems on each system to let me make an informed choice as to which is best.

Pretty much in the same boat, have decided it would be a good thing to have but cannot find enough info and reviews and the retailers are not much more helpful. GM Please do an article comparing the various options.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Echo that GB72 - perhaps if they can drag themselves away from Augusta, someone might think about looking into this!

Now that they are legal, I am hoping that more will come on the market and bring the price down. After all, who really wants to justify a device for the course that costs more than the one in your car!

That said, come Chrimbo (or July), I'll be tempted...

...unless of course GM want me to hardware test one for them... :D

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is why i started this thread as when researching could not find any decent comparisons anywhere.

(Happyhacker)I am not currently worried about comps as i am between clubs at the mo (concentratingon reducing handicap) playing various courses and trying to find a new course thats not always waterlogged! as with my previous one.

But if Golf Monthly would do a impartial comparison that would be very handy, as tend to be a bit geeky when choosing such things as want to get it right.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lads, as you know I have had the Caddy Lite for a couple of weeks now and it is that good that 6 mates either have them or have ordered them. The attractive feature on this unit is the price. £129 with 2 free courses or as many as you want for £30 a year is a bargain. One of the best players at my course had dismissed this as a gimmick, he tried it on Wednesday, and bought the bugger.

Ask me anything you want and I will try and advise as I feel like a rep for Golf-Plus and Caddy Lite.

here is my reason for not buying the models with all the bells and whistles on: in 2 years this unit will be dated as all our mobile phones will have improved GPS in them and will be able to add software for buttons. So i don't see the point spending £300+ on something that may not be top of the range next year. The CL does exactly what it says on the label.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will take a look at the CaddyLite, you do have a point with the difference in cost.

Thanks, Madandra. Do you think its helped to cut your handicap? I suppose at £129 you can give it a punt and try, for much less outlay.

Thanks again.J

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wilf, the Cady lite and any GPS system for that matter will not make you hit the ball better but it will reassure you that you are using the right club to get the ball to where you want it to go. Today for instance I played 18 holes and hit 13 in regulation but more importantly I had 5 reasonable birdie putts that I would expect to make in a medal.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks Billyg

Are you considering buying the SG-5? Do you think it helped your game? Still undecided if they are worth the money...

I will search for the previous post, i am not looking at using it during comps, so should be ok on that front.

Thanks,

To be honest- I wouldn't spend £300 on any gps. I'll probably go for the entry level model,after all,it's just the numbers I want really.

Madandra makes a good point about gear being superceded but with the caveat that it probably won't move anywhere near as fast as the mobile phone market so should be good for 3-4 years IMHO. Over that timescale I think it's a fair price.