Supplementry cards. Right or wrong?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But what is different about 'competition play'?

I can see a difference between bounce games and comps, but the penalty for comp play is your handicap going up, and it's the same for the supplementary card. So why is it any different?

It has the course in the same condition for every single player on the day and their is always added spice to medal play, If you are out in a 2 ball and you are the only 1 doing a card there is an element of competitiveness gone and by possibly/probably easier to submit a good score for this reason.

I play medals for 2 reasons,

1 - Is to try and win the comp

2 - To get my handicap cut.

If you are trying to get your handicap down by not playing comps, why have a handicap in the first place?

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
It's not about trying to get your handicap down by not playing comps - it is about truly reflecting your ability. Would you rather go back to the general play system - why isn't it perfectly acceptable to you for players to play in one or two comps a year and still want to ensure that their handicap truly reflects their ability. This is what the supplementary card system is meant to achieve.

It's not perfect but I would rather someone used it to reduce their handicap than maintain an artificially high one and then enter a comp and take all the prizes tucked into their bandolier.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not about trying to get your handicap down by not playing comps - it is about truly reflecting your ability. Would you rather go back to the general play system - why isn't it perfectly acceptable to you for players to play in one or two comps a year and still want to ensure that their handicap truly reflects their ability. This is what the supplementary card system is meant to achieve.

It's not perfect but I would rather someone used it to reduce their handicap than maintain an artificially high one and then enter a comp and take all the prizes tucked into their bandolier.

Ive no problem with the system at all genuinely, however I believe it's for those looking to maintain a handicap rather than reduce it quickly. If you are looking at dropping the handicap quickly play competitions regularly because you can only submit so many (12 I think) a year anyway.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a couple of good rounds recently shooting a 69 and 71 gross, but these were both off the yellow with no CSS and no pressure of a card in my hand I could have got possibly 3 shots off buy putting those cards in.

Yes, but you can't submit the cards as an afterthought. You have to commit in advance to the round counting, so you have a card in your hand and there's a 0.1 increase if you don't hit buffer - so there is some pressure.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I share your views really. I am not in favour, unless your handicap is so wrong you feel the need to address it. I think the only true test of your handicap is off the back tees, medal card in hand.

Off our whites, par is 72, SS is 72. Off our tombstones, par is 72, SS is 72. But there is a massive difference in the way the course plays. Some holes being driver wedge off whites, driver 4 iron off the blocks.

If I put in a supplementary cards off the whites, there is no CSS applied, so it would be easier to get cut to a handicap I could not play to off the back tees.

All other things being equal, course length off the stones would have to be 220 yards longer to have a SSS 73.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't like them as a rule. I totally see their merit for keeping a players handicap eligible and thats fine. I don't agree with a player hitting a purple patch and deciding to bung one in to get the handicap cut just because there isn't a comp for two weeks. To me the handicap is about playing comps.

Our comps are drawn and so there isn't always the nuce happy go lucky player in the group and so I do think it doesn't always represent accurately the same pressure. Even with the jepordy of 0.1 back if you go out with your mates their is usually enough banter flowing to keep your mind off the score and the card. Not so in the medal when everyone is trying to do their best and compete. Yes you can still have a laugh and a joke but there is a clear line between "banter" and "concentrating". Also I believe you have much more thinking time in a proper comp and that is where the trouble really starts

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As said already in the thread - supp scores are a good thing but should only be in force if a player is not going to get 3 competition rounds played to maintain their active handicap. I'm only aware of 1 person at our club that submits them and to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing preventing him entering the club comps - he just prefers his weekly game with his mates outwith competition.

doc333

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My own case is slightly different as i'm sick of playing QC's at my club. Long story short: I joined the club and expected a handicap of 17 but given 16. Since then I've gone backwards 0.1 every medal until I'm now 18.3. Our club play medals from the blue championship tees which are some 700-yards further back or an average of 40-yards per hole, with some around the 70-yard further back mark. I play to around 12/13 everywhere I play even at home from the white or yellow tees no problem. I play a lot at many courses, and get sick of being called a bandit because i'm declaring 18 h/c. I will be using supplimentary cards to try and get my h/c down, and have spoken to the club who are also on the lookout for supp' cards being used to gain an advantage in medals by some. handicap engineering will always be around, but some are using extra cards to advantage themselves. I'm the opposite

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be tempted to avoid supplementary scores unless you need them to re-activate or get a few 0.1s if things are desperate.

I am in the process of reversing my inactive h'cap using supplementary cards....it's not pleasant.

There's no way I'd do a bounce game supplementary card. Too easy to get cut.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't like them as a rule. I totally see their merit for keeping a players handicap eligible and thats fine. I don't agree with a player hitting a purple patch and deciding to bung one in to get the handicap cut just because there isn't a comp for two weeks. To me the handicap is about playing comps.

Our comps are drawn and so there isn't always the nuce happy go lucky player in the group and so I do think it doesn't always represent accurately the same pressure. Even with the jepordy of 0.1 back if you go out with your mates their is usually enough banter flowing to keep your mind off the score and the card. Not so in the medal when everyone is trying to do their best and compete. Yes you can still have a laugh and a joke but there is a clear line between "banter" and "concentrating". Also I believe you have much more thinking time in a proper comp and that is where the trouble really starts

Nail on the head.