Suarez given 8 match ban!!! so what about Terry?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
While I agree with some of what you're saying, clearly being a Liverpool fan is playing a little influence in your viewpoint.

From Tigers post:

Guardian "Evra had reportedly pushed away Suárez's hand when the Uruguayan attempted to pat him on the head and used words to the Liverpool player along the lines of: "Don't touch me, you South American." Liverpool have asked the FA to issue the same charges that have now led to Suárez's reputation being tarnished"
Even with a little bad language thrown in, It's no different than me calling you a liverpublian or a scouser, or you calling me a clayhead or a stokie?

Again, you don't say if you feel Evra should be banned for references to Suarez's ethicity, or asking the ref if he was being booked because he is black...........

As Ive said Suarez should receive a ban, but all LFC fans are asking for is an even-handed stance.

I have a mate who is a Premiership linesman, who is a scouser. When he has officiated at Old Trafford the likes of Giggs, Ferguson etc has asked "what are you doing here" and also made reference to being a Scouser. Same ball park? I dont think so, but I'd like to know where you draw the line, from your moral high horse?

And I suppose you, being a Liverpool fan, thought that Stephen Gerrard was guity of common assualt a few years back for sticking one on a DJ? Just remind me of the Jail term for assault?

As I said, and someone else said on this thread, alot of people opinions are being influenced bu club loyalties, which I can understand, but still doesn't change the fact that Suarez made a racial slur against another player.

He admitted what he said, so has Evra. Obviously both statements have been looked at by the FA and have decided on this course of action.

BTW I'm a Stoke City supporter so OBVIUOSLY have no intrest in football :smirk:

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apparently the CPS are due to announce their verdict on the ALLEGED (and that is all what it is at this stage everyone) John Terry comment to Anton Ferdinand this afternoon.As a Chelsea fan who has experienced the horrific abuse of black players (both our own and opposing players) at Chelsea throughout the 80's I agree that IF he is found guilty then he should receive the maximum penalty that can be imposed. However if the verdict is insufficient evidence and the case is dropped then so be it.As an aside though, it's interesting that not one of Chelsea's black players has come out and publically supported the allegations made by Anton Ferdinand. Given the high profile of these players and the senior standing the likes of Drogba, Anelka and Ashley Cole have at Chelsea, I would've thought that it would be noticable in their dealings with JT if they knew, or believed, him to be guilty. From what I have seen over the last couple of months before, during and after matches, they don't think he is. We shall see.

Very well put. I feel the punishment given by the F.A was unfair to Liverpool. An 8 game ban affects the club more than the player. They should of slapped a 5 game ban on Suarez and a massive fine. As a Chelsea fan and former season ticket holder I hope for J.T's sake he is not guilty. If he is then it could be game over for his career internationally and domestically as there is no place anywhere for racism.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Apparently the CPS are due to announce their verdict on the ALLEGED (and that is all what it is at this stage everyone) John Terry comment to Anton Ferdinand this afternoon.As a Chelsea fan who has experienced the horrific abuse of black players (both our own and opposing players) at Chelsea throughout the 80's I agree that IF he is found guilty then he should receive the maximum penalty that can be imposed. However if the verdict is insufficient evidence and the case is dropped then so be it.As an aside though, it's interesting that not one of Chelsea's black players has come out and publically supported the allegations made by Anton Ferdinand. Given the high profile of these players and the senior standing the likes of Drogba, Anelka and Ashley Cole have at Chelsea, I would've thought that it would be noticable in their dealings with JT if they knew, or believed, him to be guilty. From what I have seen over the last couple of months before, during and after matches, they don't think he is. We shall see.

But does Terry have to be a racist in order to use racist remarks? If they were used to get a reaction, which could lead to a player being sent off, then it could be construed as gamesmanship. Something his team mates might be okay with?

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Suarez has been done over here by a kangaroo court. He's been labeled the worst thing you can be on the flimsiest of evidence and other peoples perceptions of what he meant. He's never once denied saying what he said, but for The Mirror to scream RACIST! At him today is merely the start of the hell for him for the rest of his time in this country.
If this charge had been brought before a (proper) court without any of the agendas that the FA have at the moment, it would be thrown out before it even got started.
If anything, Suarez was too honest because if he had just denied saying anything, there would've been absolutely no evidence whatsoever and would only have been one mans word against another and given Evra's previous "exaggerated and unreliable" evidence in a previous allegation (against Chelsea ground staff) he probably wouldn't even have been charged.
The bottom line is that Suarez was making a mug of Evra that day Evra lashed out the only way he knows and started throwing accusations about (including accusing the referee I may add).
A scapegoat has been made and that's no justice.

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
Again, you don't say if you feel Evra should be banned for references to Suarez's ethicity, or asking the ref if he was being booked because he is black...........

To answer that we have to assume Liverpool's comments are true, which is imposible given how they've handled the situation. The logic displayed in that statement is akin to an 8 year old in a playground. Clearly published in the heat of the moment without a legal head checking it out.

As Ive said Suarez should receive a ban, but all LFC fans are asking for is an even-handed stance.

How can you know what is an even-handed stance at the moment? The Terry case hasn't been heard. I suspect Terry will get the same, if not more. If Terry did get a 12 game ban would Liverpool demand an extra 4 for Suarez to make it even? I think not....

I have a mate who is a Premiership linesman, who is a scouser. When he has officiated at Old Trafford the likes of Giggs, Ferguson etc has asked "what are you doing here" and also made reference to being a Scouser. Same ball park? I dont think so, but I'd like to know where you draw the line, from your moral high horse?

I'm sure the same has been said to a Manc linesman or ref at Anfield. No moral high ground at all from me, just an outsider looking in with no bias at all. Liverpool can't win this one, they're only damaging themselves and their reputation.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Very well put. I feel the punishment given by the F.A was unfair to Liverpool. An 8 game ban affects the club more than the player. They should of slapped a 5 game ban on Suarez and a massive fine. As a Chelsea fan and former season ticket holder I hope for J.T's sake he is not guilty. If he is then it could be game over for his career internationally and domestically as there is no place anywhere for racism.

I disagree with the punishment being O.T.T

Yeah it was harsh, but the FA want to make an example, not only to the league, but to FIFA as well to show they will not stand for racial abuse, be it in the stands or on the pitch.

As for the ban affecting the team. They have a squad that includes a striker in Andy Carroll who they paid £35m for and Dirk Kuyt who is capable of getting goals.

It aso give Dalgliesh a chance to splash out in January. Maybe spend £35m on another lemon to keep the bench warm :smirk:

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As far as I am aware, the fa penalty for racist abuse starts at a 7 games ban, so 8 is not surprising.

The odd thing is, you might not even get a 3 match ban for breaking someone's leg, and ending their carreer.

D

Deleted member 1418

But does Terry have to be a racist in order to use racist remarks? If they were used to get a reaction, which could lead to a player being sent off, then it could be construed as gamesmanship. Something his team mates might be okay with?
Murph - no, I don't think you have to be a racist to use racist remarks, the same way that you are not a racist if you don't like specific people who are from different ethnic or racial backgrounds, but you do have friends that are.Re. your points on getting a reaction and gamesmanship, in the heat of the moment and with tensions already running high in that game, I very much doubt that thought would've even gone through JT's head. And again, do you think the likes of Drogba, Anelka and Cole would accept "it's ok lads, I was trying to get him sent off" as an acceptable excuse? I don't think they would.

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
As an aside though, it's interesting that not one of Chelsea's black players has come out and publically supported the allegations made by Anton Ferdinand. Given the high profile of these players and the senior standing the likes of Drogba, Anelka and Ashley Cole have at Chelsea, I would've thought that it would be noticable in their dealings with JT if they knew, or believed, him to be guilty. From what I have seen over the last couple of months before, during and after matches, they don't think he is. We shall see.

Is this the old 'I can't be a racist cause I've got black friends' defense?

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
Suarez has been done over here by a kangaroo court. He's been labeled the worst thing you can be on the flimsiest of evidence and other peoples perceptions of what he meant. He's never once denied saying what he said, but for The Mirror to scream RACIST! At him today is merely the start of the hell for him for the rest of his time in this country.

The evidence was his own words. Evra hasn't made anything up. In this day and age if you call someone an insult based on colour you'll be rightly branded a racist.

If this charge had been brought before a (proper) court without any of the agendas that the FA have at the moment, it would be thrown out before it even got started.

I suppose the Dutch FA had an agenda when they banned him for 11 games for biting someones ear last season? :rolleyes:

If anything, Suarez was too honest because if he had just denied saying anything, there would've been absolutely no evidence whatsoever and would only have been one mans word against another

You're right here. If Suarez had denied it then unless it was captured on camera he'd have walked. However he knew what he said and didn't want to risk denying it, only for evidence to emerge as that would've been far, far worse.

The bottom line is that Suarez was making a mug of Evra that day Evra lashed out the only way he knows and started throwing accusations about (including accusing the referee I may add).
A scapegoat has been made and that's no justice.

That isn't the bottom line at all and not even true. Has it entered your head that Suarez might just be guilty? Or is Evra the bad guy because you've decided he is?

To sum up....A confession from Suarez and an independent commision that took 4-5 days to reach a verdict knows less than you?

It's funny how most neutral fans see it one way and Liverpool fans the other.

D

Deleted member 1418

Is this the old 'I can't be a racist cause I've got black friends' defense?
No, it's the fact that football has come on so much in terms of racism over the last 20-30 years, and the standing, respect and influence that black and other coloured players have in the game now, that they just wouldn't stand for that from their team mates.

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I work with a load of liverpool fans and its seems that its ok to be racist as long as you play for liverpool as they cant seem to grasp that he has done anything wrong. There is no place in this world for racism at all its vile.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, we all have some (or loads) of club bias. That is one of the main points.

As I have said, Luis should be getting a ban. Evra should also, but not as long, if you take it on the FA's stance of refering to someones ethnicity.

We just want to be treated as others. The respect campaign started and stopped again in an MUFC v LFC game ate old trafford where macsherano was sent off, not a peep after that.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The evidence was his own words. Evra hasn't made anything up. In this day and age if you call someone an insult based on colour you'll be rightly branded a racist.

What was the insult based on his colour please?

I suppose the Dutch FA had an agenda when they banned him for 11 games for biting someones ear last season? :rolleyes:

Irrelevant to this case

You're right here. If Suarez had denied it then unless it was captured on camera he'd have walked. However he knew what he said and didn't want to risk denying it, only for evidence to emerge as that would've been far, far worse.

Supposition.

That isn't the bottom line at all and not even true. Has it entered your head that Suarez might just be guilty? Or is Evra the bad guy because you've decided he is?

To sum up....A confession from Suarez and an independent commision that took 4-5 days to reach a verdict knows less than you?

It's funny how most neutral fans see it one way and Liverpool fans the other.

Have you considered that there may be reasonable doubt and if this was brought to a "proper" court of law it would have been thrown out for lack of evidence on the same day?

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, we all have some (or loads) of club bias. That is one of the main points.

As I have said, Luis should be getting a ban. Evra should also, but not as long, if you take it on the FA's stance of refering to someones ethnicity.

We just want to be treated as others. The respect campaign started and stopped again in an MUFC v LFC game ate old trafford where macsherano was sent off, not a peep after that.

Liverpool are a great club and one of those clubs who used to do things the right way. I feel disappointed in how you've handled it, no bias mate. You should be way above this sort of stuff.

To be fair Mascherano had about 10 warnings in that game, he deserved to go. Other players have been sent off for dissent since that day, so not sure what your point is on that issue? Wayne Rooney even got a 3 game ban for swearing last season. Swearing at a football match, who'd have thought it?

Back to Suarez, he really doesn't help himself. Everytime I've seen him play he's look good minus finishing but shouts abuse at teammates for not passing, linesman, refs and throws himself to the floor if someone comes within a foot of him. He's one of those players who makes you hate what football has become.