Suarez given 8 match ban!!! so what about Terry?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Someone commented earlier (I forget who) saying that the FA's minumum punishment for racism on the pitch is either 6 or 7 games. Is that not proportionate to what he's received?

Is that set in stone? Don't believe all you hear on the internet, also never seen that sort of ban before, have you?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is that set in stone? Don't believe all you hear on the internet, also never seen that sort of ban before, have you?

Taken from the BBC

1988: Paul Davis (9 matches for punching opponent)
• 1995: Eric Cantona (9 months for attacking supporter)
• 1998: Paolo di Canio (11 matches for pushing referee)
• 2003: Mark Bosnich (9 months for failed drugs test)
• 2003: Rio Ferdinand (8 months for failing to take drugs test)
• 2005: David Prutton (10 matches for pushing referee)

All completley different circumstances I agree. Seems the FA like to dish out a hefty ban now and again.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Taken from the BBC

1988: Paul Davis (9 matches for punching opponent)
• 1995: Eric Cantona (9 months for attacking supporter)
• 1998: Paolo di Canio (11 matches for pushing referee)
• 2003: Mark Bosnich (9 months for failed drugs test)
• 2003: Rio Ferdinand (8 months for failing to take drugs test)
• 2005: David Prutton (10 matches for pushing referee)

All completley different circumstances I agree. Seems the FA like to dish out a hefty ban now and again.

Good research, none for rascism, as you say, though.

My diadora borg elite are on now, just going out the door.....

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scotland, a bastion of non-cheating, I'll have to remember that.

Spur of the moment handballs are part and parcel of the game, its funny how its only an outcry when it happens to your team.

I have lived in Ireland for nearly 20 years now and it was hilarious listening to mates complaining about Thierry Henry a couple of years ago when his handball put paid to their world cup qualification and they wanted the match replayed and Henry banned but conveniently forget that for nearly 25 years they have laughed about the Maradona incident.

As I say, in my opinion Suarez is lucky to get what he got, £40K is pennies to him. Both him and the club should just move on now before it gets even messier

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
yes he admitted calling him a negro in which he also said in Uruguay its not known as an offensive word!!

Doesnt mean case closed at all
Should have asked for the case to be heard in Uraguay then shouldn't he? As it is, in this country, it is offensive and so he got a ban... Case Closed.........Unless you think that we should observe laws from other countries...

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
Should have asked for the case to be heard in Uraguay then shouldn't he? As it is, in this country, it is offensive and so he got a ban... Case Closed.........Unless you think that we should observe laws from other countries...

haha good point, my bad!!

Would be interesting to hear what evra said to him

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
yes he admitted calling him a negro in which he also said in Uruguay its not known as an offensive word!!

Doesnt mean case closed at all

You can't be for real. If so, good luck as you'll need it.

The confession means he's guilty of using racist insults. No debate. The game was played in Liverpool, England. Ergo, Uruguay has nothing to do with it.

Your logic is the same as someone from S.Arabia chopping someones hand off because he caught them stealing and using the 'It's OK in my country' excuse.

It just doesn't wash.

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
You can't be for real. If so, good luck as you'll need it.

The confession means he's guilty of using racist insults. No debate. The game was played in Liverpool, England. Ergo, Uruguay has nothing to do with it.

Your logic is the same as someone from S.Arabia chopping someones hand off because he caught them stealing and using the 'It's OK in my country' excuse.

It just doesn't wash.

alright chap, keep your hair on!!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
So you would stand on the side line, juming for joy, happy as larry that your blatent cheating has earned your country a win and a place in a world cup final.

Do you also tee your ball up in the rough :D
Answer to the 1st part Boody Sure I would ..

In golf im the referee mate , not in football or rugby , played soccer at a decent level & every team broke or bent the rules when they could , your hardly that nieve you think it doesnt go on , diving , handball , slight jersey tug , hand in the ruck in rubgy , .. come on mate , he broke the rule (handball) got caught & got punished (sent off) . he coulda let it by him goal stands & they are out of final , if you scored a goal & you were a yard offside was that cheating ? would you tell the ref & say dont award that matey i was slightly off , ? you ask any of the guys on here that play competitive sport have they never broken a rule ? as there is no ref on the course in golf your obliged to police it yourself ,

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before I have my say i will admit to being a Liverpool fan, but I am on the fence regarding hte handling of this incident.

I think the fact that Suarez did not deny what he said shows it is not a racist remark in his native language. Many different translations for the word Negrito:
Endearing term meaning sweetheart,
Little black man.
Just a couple of meanings I have found. Should Suarez be banned for using this word......very difficult to say. He did not see anything wrong with using it, he is new to England and was ignorant to what would be classified as racist in this country. Now an Englishman making a racist remark is totally different. Someone like Terry knows exactly what he is saying so is doing it with the intention of making an insult.

Look at it another way. Players insult each other all the time on the pitch it has and always will happen. Now racist remarks have no place in the game. Has Scholes ever been called a Ginger Tosser? Frank Lampard a southern poof? Alan Shearer a Geordie ***? You will probably hear these terms on the pitch in every game and nothing is said about it as you hear them all the time, even in brit flick films. But maybe if the same type of remarks are used in another country it may be different. All Suarez thought he was doing was using a term that is accepted in his country as not being a racist remark.

No I am not racist and do not care about the north south divide as I am from the Midlands and have mates from all over the British isles.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Answer to the 1st part Boody Sure I would ..

In golf im the referee mate , not in football or rugby , played soccer at a decent level & every team broke or bent the rules when they could , your hardly that nieve you think it doesnt go on , diving , handball , slight jersey tug , hand in the ruck in rubgy , .. come on mate

Totally agree but, as you say, that's what the ref is there for. If HE deems it a foul, he'll blow the whistle. Fans, rightly, complain when the ref blows the whistle for every little tug, dive etc. Some referees let the game flow, others dont but at the end of the day (to use a football term) It's the refs call.

if you scored a goal & you were a yard offside was that cheating ? would you tell the ref & say dont award that matey i was slightly off , ?

I too played football to a decent level when I was younger (Goalkeeper) and I lost count the number of times a striker would bomb through on goal and smash it into the back of the net (me having seen the flag go up and stop) then turn round and put his hands on his head. You're not watching the linesman or ref, or at least you shouldn't be.

My point about teeing up in te rough was kind of tonge in cheek comment and an attempt to make a point (poorly) that cheating is cheating no matter how you dress it up.

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
No it wasnt and no they havent.

Suarez ADMITTED he said it. Case closed

Sorry but you are wrong.

He admitted to nothing and completely denied making a racist remark. He clarified what he said. His clarification is not an admission to guilt. He did not use the word negro he used the word negrito. Much of the press are interpreting his clarification as an admission to guilt. Not so

Negrito does not translate to the word negro in English. In fact there is no direct translation of the word. In the same way as Jock, Scouse or Taffy would not translate into Spanish. There is no dispute negrito is not considered offensive in South America, just as Taffy would not be here. The tribunal took it upon themselves to interpret word negrito as racist. How can they possibly interpret a word often used in a friendly manner in Suarez’s tongue into an offensive word in England.

I’m convinced it would not stand up in proper court. He is being used as a scapegoat to demonstrate to FIFA and UEFA. Look that’s how we deal with racism. That is not justice

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had an idea it was in jest mate so no bother , & i totaly see your point in cheating is cheating but in contact sports alot more goes on , i think golf is unique in the fact we call fouls on ourselves .. guilty of bending the rules (Cheating) in the other sports mate did it too many times to lie about it , its the refs job to spot it is my opinion on that as wrong as that may seem , as im my own ref in golf i call it ..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sorry but you are wrong.

He admitted to nothing and completely denied making a racist remark. He clarified what he said. His clarification is not an admission to guilt. He did not use the word negro he used the word negrito. Much of the press are interpreting his clarification as an admission to guilt. Not so

Negrito does not translate to the word negro in English. In fact there is no direct translation of the word. In the same way as Jock, Scouse or Taffy would not translate into Spanish. There is no dispute negrito is not considered offensive in South America, just as Taffy would not be here. The tribunal took it upon themselves to interpret word negrito as racist. How can they possibly interpret a word often used in a friendly manner in Suarez’s tongue into an offensive word in England.

I’m convinced it would not stand up in proper court. He is being used as a scapegoat to demonstrate to FIFA and UEFA. Look that’s how we deal with racism. That is not justice

I was going to argue the toss with you till I Googled its use in Uraguay - note, not the Spanish usage but the Uraguayan. You're 100% right. In Uraguay its the same as if we'd said "pal."

I think there's a good possibility he's been shafted. Whatever, there's reasonable doubt...

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry but you are wrong.

exactly whay i was saying in an earlier post that in Uruguay it is not known to be an offensive word so its not CASE CLOSED at all!!

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
He didn't say that though, he said negro. His defence was Negrito to start with but it changed.

Also why on earth would someone like Suarez use a friendly term to an opposing player at least ten times, when they were having a heated battle that threatened to spill over into physical violence? Makes no sense.

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
quote - It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.

So why the long ban??

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He didn't say that though, he said negro. His defence was Negrito to start with but it changed.

Also why on earth would someone like Suarez use a friendly term to an opposing player at least ten times, when they were having a heated battle that threatened to spill over into physical violence? Makes no sense.

And as in my previous post, look up the usage. In Spain and Mexico Negrito and Negro are derogative and in Chile, Argentino & Uraguay they mean "pal." As in "what's your problem pal," i.e. not necessarily a term of enderment but equally not derogatory.

At the end of the day, naive or not, he's guilty of using it in this country and not Uraguay but there is, possibly, some mitigation.