Suarez given 8 match ban!!! so what about Terry?

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Ok with the above, but do you think Evra should be banned as well then?

Guardian "Evra had reportedly pushed away Suárez's hand when the Uruguayan attempted to pat him on the head and used words to the Liverpool player along the lines of: "Don't touch me, you South American." Liverpool have asked the FA to issue the same charges that have now led to Suárez's reputation being tarnished"

What Evra is alleged to have said in Spanish probably included the 'f' word but I would need to see an accurate translation before I could comment. However, the fact that neither Liverpool nor Suarez have sought to bring a case of racism against Evra speaks volumes.

There is the Chelsea case to consider and Liverpool apparently focussed on Evra's character throughout the case but their defence is flawed. They claim that the only two parties privy to the conversation are Evra and Suarez but Suarez has admitted what he said so a lack of witnesses is a moot point. Context and intention are irrelevent, the term used could reasonably be construed as racist and there is no case being brought by Liverpool against Evra.

Also the "I can't be racist because my grandfather is black" argument is totally ridiculous. As is using Evra's statement that he does not believe that Suarez is racist. Being a racist and racially abusing someone are two different things.

Personally I think Liverpool have lost a lot of credibility in their handling of this case and it stems more from a natural hatred between Liverpool and Man Utd rather than a balanced reflection on the situation at hand.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Terry is under police investigation, so may end up with a jail term (although I doubt it)

Surely this is racial aswell then & Suarez will have to go to Jail , FA (idiots at best of time) found him guilty , if someone in the public complains he will be arrested & could get 3 months jail ..

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What for?

What others Have said is absolutely spot on, the fa needed to throw the book at Suarez as otherwise their reputation is seriously damaged. Suarez is a fantastic player but he really needs to have a long hard look at himself as his attitude to most things is somewhat childish, everytime a decision doesn't go his way he has a strop. On a side note would the "gesture" he made get him a suspension as well or just a fine?

For admitting that he refered to Suarez's ethnicity, this was not accused by Suarez, but readily admitted by Evra. For his part, Suarez says he did not hear that.

Also Evra asked the ref, was he getting booked for being black.

Last edited:

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Surely this is racial aswell then & Suarez will have to go to Jail , FA (idiots at best of time) found him guilty , if someone in the public complains he will be arrested & could get 3 months jail ..

Its more complicated than that. A criminal prosecution is a different ball game to an FA disciplinary. There is sufficient grey area around the Suarez case to make a successful criminal prosecution likely, whereas there is video evidence in the Terry case and a number of witnesses. Time will tell but just because Terry is an odious individual doesn't mean which should hang him before he is found guilty. Let's not forget the bad blood between the Ferdinands and Terry, after all when Rio was supplanted as England captain there was a lot of negativity from his camp.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
HomerJSimpson;472464 One thing is for sure said:
The same message as when clubs appeal red cards the FA dont wana know & very seldom overturn them & try to discourage them by adding an extra game , saying the referee's decision shouldnt be questioned etc etc , the same Fa tha flew to switzerland with solicitors to represent rooney when he blatently kicked the guy , wasnt a mistimed tackle that some get 3 matches for , it was a blatant kick out . FA are a joke & nearly as bad as bladder & co .

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its more complicated than that. A criminal prosecution is a different ball game to an FA disciplinary. There is sufficient grey area around the Suarez case to make a successful criminal prosecution likely, whereas there is video evidence in the Terry case and a number of witnesses. Time will tell but just because Terry is an odious individual doesn't mean which should hang him before he is found guilty. Let's not forget the bad blood between the Ferdinands and Terry, after all when Rio was supplanted as England captain there was a lot of negativity from his camp.
I apreciate the FA & the criminal prosecution are different but hasnt Suarez landed himself in it by admitting he said it ? have the FA charged him on a stupid non charge or could the police charge him on the same grounds ? Surely if it went to the police & they found him not guilty on the same evidence he can sue the FA out the door ...

How many on here have seen the Terry incident & could stand up in a court of law & swear he used these words , be very interesting to hear what the further new evidence was ..

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But Terry used words which are clearly racist in this country, whilst it can still be argued that the words Suarez used might not be.

I am still unsure of the direct translation of negrito.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My tuppence on the subject.

Racism is wholey unacceptable in any sport. Does it happen during the course of play/competition, of course it does.

While there are many organistaions within the various sports to help prevent/stop racism, do they actually work?

Here's an example. "let's kick racism out of football", arguably footballs biggest anti-racism body was started in 1993 yet in 2011 we have 2, high profile instances in the space of a month (or so). Could you argue that this has been a waste of time and money??

Suarez admitts using a slur, that could be determined as racist, but not in his native language/dialect. Now what I'm going to say may sound racist (believe me it's not) but whether the slur he used is not detrimental or racist in Uraguay is irrelivant. He isn't in Uraguay, he's in England! If, and I stress "If" he called Evra "Negrito" then how would Evra who is French interprit that. In his shoes, I know how I would and it would be exactly the same.

He's admitted it, been found guilty, and has rightly had the book thrown at him.

John Terry on the other hand knew exactly what he was saying and the context in which it was meant. Regardless of the bad blood between himself and Rio Ferdinand this does not excuse what he has said.

In turn, if the CPS bottle making a decision, I hope the FA take exactly the same stance on hm as they have done with Suarez. 8 Game ban and 40k fine. I would also go as far as to strip him of the England captancy (.... Again) and impose an international ban so he cannot represent his country for an FA determined period. This again would set an exampe of how seriously the FA takes the issue of racism in football.

Will it stop it, doubtful.

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site

My understanding is that a member of the public made the complaint to the police regarding Terry, so they are obliged to start a criminal investigation. Evra reported it via the FA/Premier League, so the police are not obliged to investigate it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My tuppence on the subject.

Racism is wholey unacceptable in any sport. Does it happen during the course of play/competition, of course it does.

While there are many organistaions within the various sports to help prevent/stop racism, do they actually work?

Here's an example. "let's kick racism out of football", arguably footballs biggest anti-racism body was started in 1993 yet in 2011 we have 2, high profile instances in the space of a month (or so). Could you argue that this has been a waste of time and money??

Suarez admitts using a slur, that could be determined as racist, but not in his native language/dialect. Now what I'm going to say may sound racist (believe me it's not) but whether the slur he used is not detrimental or racist in Uraguay is irrelivant. He isn't in Uraguay, he's in England! If, and I stress "If" he called Evra "Negrito" then how would Evra who is French interprit that. In his shoes, I know how I would and it would be exactly the same.

He's admitted it, been found guilty, and has rightly had the book thrown at him.

John Terry on the other hand knew exactly what he was saying and the context in which it was meant. Regardless of the bad blood between himself and Rio Ferdinand this does not excuse what he has said.

In turn, if the CPS bottle making a decision, I hope the FA take exactly the same stance on hm as they have done with Suarez. 8 Game ban and 40k fine. I would also go as far as to strip him of the England captancy (.... Again) and impose an international ban so he cannot represent his country for an FA determined period. This again would set an exampe of how seriously the FA takes the issue of racism in football.

Will it stop it, doubtful.

Surely the Terry incident is worse than the Suarez incident, so should be a bigger penalty.

Maybe Liverpool can get UEFA/FIFA to shorten Suarez's ban by appealing to the FA on LFC's behalf, maybe represented by Sepp himself. Sauce for the goose and all that.

Only joking BTW.

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
I am fully behind attempts to kick racism out of sport and in favour of fair and proportionate punishment for offenders

But this case flies in the face of natural justice. John Terry was under police investigation and has been referred to the crown prosecution service. This is so because there is clear evidence, other than one mans word against another. Luis Suárez was not investigated by police as there is no evidence other than a man’s say so.

Evra has a history of racial abuse accusations; he even accused a referee of booking him just because he was black. Had Suárez been charged by the police the case would have been kicked out of court. Yet here we have the unaccountable FA Kangaroo court metering out an unprecedented punishment on a dubious interpretation of a word, and no other evidence other than a man with a history dubious racist claims against a man of mixed race himself

Even if there was clear evidence of his guilt, the punishment is not proportionate, it is unlikely he would have got 8 matches if had broken Evra’s leg.

On the question of John Terry, unlike the Luis Suárez case, there is clear video evidence, so picture this scenario; the crown prosecution service drop the charge due to lack of evidence or the unlikely prospect of conviction. How can the FA then proceed with the same charge?

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
On the question of John Terry, unlike the Luis Suárez case, there is clear video evidence, so picture this scenario; the crown prosecution service drop the charge due to lack of evidence or the unlikely prospect of conviction. How can the FA then proceed with the same charge?

Yes they should and he should receive the same punishment as Suarez.

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
I am fully behind attempts to kick racism out of sport and in favour of fair and proportionate punishment for offenders

But this case flies in the face of natural justice. John Terry was under police investigation and has been referred to the crown prosecution service. This is so because there is clear evidence, other than one mans word against another. Luis Suárez was not investigated by police as there is no evidence other than a man’s say so.

Evra has a history of racial abuse accusations; he even accused a referee of booking him just because he was black. Had Suárez been charged by the police the case would have been kicked out of court. Yet here we have the unaccountable FA Kangaroo court metering out an unprecedented punishment on a dubious interpretation of a word, and no other evidence other than a man with a history dubious racist claims against a man of mixed race himself

Even if there was clear evidence of his guilt, the punishment is not proportionate, it is unlikely he would have got 8 matches if had broken Evra’s leg.

Terry is being investigated by the Police because someone reported the incident to them. No one reported Suarez to the Police, theres the difference.

Suarez has admitted using the words negro or negrito, theres no his word v someone elses. He's confessed to using a term that in this country when using in the context it was, can be viewed as racist. The only debate is context, which took the FA over 4 days to consider. It wasn't a Kangeroo court at all :rolleyes:

This whole matter could've been handled so much better if Liverpool hadn't changed their view three times. First they denied it, then it was said he called him negrito, then negro. Now it's a personal smear against Evra. Then the pathetic statement, then Dalglish embarrassing himself on Twitter. No class shown at all. All it needed was Suarez and Liverpool to come out publically and admit Suarez had made inappropriate comments but there was no malice or racism behind it, just ignorance. They fine him £50,000 and donate it to the Kick Racism Out Of Football campaign and ban him for 4 games. That way the whole matter is dealt with in a mature and decent manner. Liverpool and Suarez would've come out of the situation looking good with dignity intact and a better outcome.

As it now they look amateurish and frankly laughable.

It's interesting to note Liverpool have targetted Evra personally, yet Man Utd have refused to comment on the previous of Suarez, a man with a track record of being a violent cheat with no integrity. If the matter goes further to other super courts, then the statement last night opens the door for all sorts of personal cases against Liverpool.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of you need to put your football allegiances to one side and see the facts behind the matter.

No other evidence is needed when Suarez has admitted calling Evra "negrito"

The decision that had to be made was whether this is insulting and/or rascist and the F.A have made a decision that it was so he had to be severly punished.

What the F.A should be hanging their heads in shame about is allowing John Terry to play for their country while this case is ongoing, what does that say to every black English football supporter? I know if it were me I certainly wouldnt be supporting the team anymore.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Terry is being investigated by the Police because someone reported the incident to them. No one reported Suarez to the Police, theres the difference.

Suarez has admitted using the words negro or negrito, theres no his word v someone elses. He's confessed to using a term that in this country when using in the context it was, can be viewed as racist. The only debate is context, which took the FA over 4 days to consider. It wasn't a Kangeroo court at all :rolleyes:

This whole matter could've been handled so much better if Liverpool hadn't changed their view three times. First they denied it, then it was said he called him negrito, then negro. Now it's a personal smear against Evra. Then the pathetic statement, then Dalglish embarrassing himself on Twitter. No class shown at all. All it needed was Suarez and Liverpool to come out publically and admit Suarez had made inappropriate comments but there was no malice or racism behind it, just ignorance. They fine him £50,000 and donate it to the Kick Racism Out Of Football campaign and ban him for 4 games. That way the whole matter is dealt with in a mature and decent manner. Liverpool and Suarez would've come out of the situation looking good with dignity intact and a better outcome.

As it now they look amateurish and frankly laughable.

It's interesting to note Liverpool have targetted Evra personally, yet Man Utd have refused to comment on the previous of Suarez, a man with a track record of being a violent cheat with no integrity. If the matter goes further to other super courts, then the statement last night opens the door for all sorts of personal cases against Liverpool.

Again, you don't say if you feel Evra should be banned for references to Suarez's ethicity, or asking the ref if he was being booked because he is black...........

As Ive said Suarez should receive a ban, but all LFC fans are asking for is an even-handed stance.

I have a mate who is a Premiership linesman, who is a scouser. When he has officiated at Old Trafford the likes of Giggs, Ferguson etc has asked "what are you doing here" and also made reference to being a Scouser. Same ball park? I dont think so, but I'd like to know where you draw the line, from your moral high horse?

D

Deleted member 1418

Apparently the CPS are due to announce their verdict on the ALLEGED (and that is all what it is at this stage everyone) John Terry comment to Anton Ferdinand this afternoon.As a Chelsea fan who has experienced the horrific abuse of black players (both our own and opposing players) at Chelsea throughout the 80's I agree that IF he is found guilty then he should receive the maximum penalty that can be imposed. However if the verdict is insufficient evidence and the case is dropped then so be it.As an aside though, it's interesting that not one of Chelsea's black players has come out and publically supported the allegations made by Anton Ferdinand. Given the high profile of these players and the senior standing the likes of Drogba, Anelka and Ashley Cole have at Chelsea, I would've thought that it would be noticable in their dealings with JT if they knew, or believed, him to be guilty. From what I have seen over the last couple of months before, during and after matches, they don't think he is. We shall see.