Strong lofts

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem here is the loft is too simplistic reason for the yardage gain… mass distribution to improve launch, spin rates etc all are factors ..So swinging the clubs at the same speed will yield a distance difference

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I can’t help but notice that you’re a little bit out of touch with the reality of golf club tech. Way out.

Callaway compared there 41 degree Epic PW against their 46 degree Apex pro PW and got 3 extra yards of carry with the same swing speed. I dont believe i am out of touch at all.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've moved from using blade 7 8 9 and pw to using strong lofted ap3s.

The ap3s are that strong I dont bother with anything longer than a 6iron. After that I move to a 5 hybrid.

Made my life alot easier on the majority of par 3s. The forgiveness offered on strike is obvious.

I was reluctant to move to strong lofts for years. Glad I did now.

The only real downside for me is I struggle to play chip and runs well with the strong lofts. I constantly have to remind myself to club down on these. Took me a while to really commit to that.

RichA

Visit site
I've moved from using blade 7 8 9 and pw to using strong lofted ap3s.

The ap3s are that strong I dont bother with anything longer than a 6iron. After that I move to a 5 hybrid.

Made my life alot easier on the majority of par 3s. The forgiveness offered on strike is obvious.

I was reluctant to move to strong lofts for years. Glad I did now.

The only real downside for me is I struggle to play chip and runs well with the strong lofts. I constantly have to remind myself to club down on these. Took me a while to really commit to that.
I wanted longer irons to compensate for being unable to use driver consistently. Suddenly the driver is working and I'm lacking reliability in the 100-150 range, now that 9i is 150ish.
Everything under 100 yards is trying to manufacture a part swing pitch or a long chip and run.
15 yard gap between 8i and 5h mean that 6 and 7 irons are just asking for the ride.
Maybe the nature of modern, commercial golf is just never quite being satisfied with your set as you're improving.
Maybe if I played more, different courses, the different clubs would see more opportunities for use.

D

Deleted member 1147

I wanted longer irons to compensate for being unable to use driver consistently. Suddenly the driver is working and I'm lacking reliability in the 100-150 range, now that 9i is 150ish.
Everything under 100 yards is trying to manufacture a part swing pitch or a long chip and run.
15 yard gap between 8i and 5h mean that 6 and 7 irons are just asking for the ride.
Maybe the nature of modern, commercial golf is just never quite being satisfied with your set as you're improving.
Maybe if I played more, different courses, the different clubs would see more opportunities for use.

I think that means you aren't hitting your hybrid properly. If you can hit a 9 iron 150, I assume you're saying 160-165 for the 8 iron, so your hybrid is only going 180 max'.
Doesn't sound right to me!?!:censored:

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I think that means you aren't hitting your hybrid properly. If you can hit a 9 iron 150, I assume you're saying 160-165 for the 8 iron, so your hybrid is only going 180 max'.

Still wouldnt make any sense though, unless the 9 is the only club he can hit. If the 9 goes 150ish then the 6 should be clearing 180ish. If you can hit irons that well what is even the point of the hybrid?

RichA

Visit site
I understand your point, but it's not that simple where I play.
On a flat course or one with really tight fairways, knowing my iron yardages would be more important. On my hilly home course, knowing what works is the priority. 180 yards downhill onto a small green, it's 9 iron every time. Anything longer would bounce and roll never to be seen again. Opposite that, 150 yards uphill onto a green, 5h is the club for me.
As for the gapping, yes it's strange. I can hit the 9 iron 150 and the 8 iron a little over 160, on the flat driving range. The 7 and 6 go further but are less reliable. The 5h is easier to hit accurately and I can control the distance with my strike. If I'm honest, I'm pretty happy with a relatively reliable 180 5h. I'm not a low handicap golfer.
But as I said before, I'm talking about myself on the hilly course I play, not suggesting it's the same for everyone.

RichA

Visit site
Still wouldnt make any sense though, unless the 9 is the only club he can hit. If the 9 goes 150ish then the 6 should be clearing 180ish. If you can hit irons that well what is even the point of the hybrid?
It would make sense if you saw it.
Not much point clearing my 6 iron 180 yards into the rough 50% of the time if I can put the hybrid 180 yards on the fairway or green 80% of the time.
I'm talking about game improvement, not chasing scratch. I'm more interested in reducing my handicap than playing textbook golf.

Boomy

Visit site
Callaway compared there 41 degree Epic PW against their 46 degree Apex pro PW and got 3 extra yards of carry with the same swing speed. I dont believe i am out of touch at all.

Good grief ?.... obviously they’d both go the same distance, that is why your 7 iron goes the same distance as your 8 iron? (give or take 3 yards)

I’ve hit the Callaway Epic Forged irons and compared them all to my Titleist AP2’s. Club versus club the Epic go a heck of a lot further... they would, they’re 5 or so degrees stronger! Nearer 3 clubs stronger in fact, the PW played like an 8 iron.

You’re way out of touch and worryingly seem to think that a 41 degree wedge will go the same distance 46 degree wedge with equal swing speed ? Go and hit those clubs with the same swing speed and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Boomy

Visit site
It would make sense if you saw it.
Not much point clearing my 6 iron 180 yards into the rough 50% of the time if I can put the hybrid 180 yards on the fairway or green 80% of the time.
I'm talking about game improvement, not chasing scratch. I'm more interested in reducing my handicap than playing textbook golf.

I was easily hitting the Callaway Epic Forged 7 iron 180/185 yards versus my AP2 7 iron at 155/160 yards AND that was with range balls. Very accurate too, consistent lovely soft draw. I’m a mid handicapper and getting lessons to work on my swing - I’m hitting my AP2’s pretty consistently now they’re set up properly for me but those game improvement Callaways felt a doddle to hit, almost felt like cheating!

Last edited:

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
If someone was to swing a club 75mph and strike the ball out of the middle of the face, it doesn't matter what the club is. One is not going to go 20 yards further than the other.

Get a 7iron with 36° loft and another with 27° and you could easy get 20yards difference.