strong grip issue

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello I have always tinkered with grip and its starting to get om my nerves now. If you play with a strong grip should the face of the club be closed at address. Should you adjust your stance so the face of the club is pointing at target. I like to play with a stronger left hand grip but need some way to set up consistant. cheers for any help.

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
About 3 to 3 1/2 knuckles, my ball flight is still all over the place, but usually straight to fade, my drives were slicing today but mostly a fade too. Cheers

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you set up with the club aiming at your target then take your grip it wont aim left. I do this and hold off rolling my wrists too much at impact and ill get a slight draw and on a bad day a slight fade :). Hope this helps.

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
yeah cheers, so the face points at the target and hold the club with a strong grip. I was playing today and thought i would practice with strong grip had the face pointing left and didn't seem natural at at all my driving was terrible i thought it would hook/draw but was hitting a slice.

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well aim everything up(clubface, body etc) then take your natural grip. I wouldnt force a strong grip if you dont normally do it. Im just saying grip it naturally. Its the way i get my best results, it might work for you it might not. Only one way to find out :D

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My opinion on this is that strong\weak is very relative, and a traditional strong\neutral\weak may not reflect everyone.

We all have different degrees of shoulder and forearm internal and external rotation. Because of this our arms and hands hang differently, this would then effect how you grip a golf club.

Its more important how your grip makes the club face look at impact, rather than at address, as at impact you can move your hands to what would be a perfect textbook grip, but at impact your hands are going to go to their more natural position.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think your the body subconsciously tries to correct anything it thinks is wrong. When I set up with the face closed trying to hit a draw it normally goes straight right.
My thinking is that even though I know I want the face closed at impact my body doesn't listen and my hands try to keep the face square. Only reason I can think of.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
you can relate this to how I was taught competition shooting. you have to set up with your body in neutral, ie you aim with your whole body not just your arms and in the most relaxed condition. at the moment your brain recognizes that you have released the shot, if you set up with tension in your arms it will relax all the muscles and you will be off aim before the round leaves the barrel.

in golf, for most of us, the brain is trying to get the body to neutral from the moment you start the forward movement.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I spent 4 months last year getting rid of a strong grip as it was causing a strong draw and in the summer i experienced some very violent bounces on the hard fairways.

Whats strange is with a strong left hand the same as you 3 - 3 1/2 knuckles i was getting a draw yet your experiencing a fade, this proves we both could have different faultds elseware in our swings.

Mine was also a very flat take away with a high follow through (in to out if im right) which was also helping with the draw/hook. it may be worth posting a few videos so people can see if the fault your having is grip or swing related.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think your the body subconsciously tries to correct anything it thinks is wrong. When I set up with the face closed trying to hit a draw it normally goes straight right.
My thinking is that even though I know I want the face closed at impact my body doesn't listen and my hands try to keep the face square. Only reason I can think of.

Closed to what? :cool: :cool:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Project0-1.jpg

;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Closed relative to my intended swingpath you mischievous little tinker you. ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Closed relative to my intended swingpath you mischievous little tinker you. ;)

LOL :)

You're good!!... I can't even figure that part out... I just set up with the face open to the target a little and swing :D

Even square isn't too bad for a nice little push-draw provided you move your swing center forward through impact (so the face arrives slightly open).

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
just been the range tried my natural stronger grip, but set the face at target and hit the ball the best Ive done for a while. Hitting my longer clubs ans and shorter clubs superb. struggled sometimes with 7,6,5 iron but felt probably need to tinker with ball position slightly . I was getting more height hit a few fades and draws. I hit some bad shots but thats golf. Im going to stick with this set up now and try get my handicap down from 14, to hopefully around 10 this year. wish me luck

redcatjazz

Hacker
Visit site
ultimately, in order to find your most natural and neutral grip, stand straight, but relaxed, and just let your arms hang by your sides naturally - the position of your hands as they hang is where they should be on the club - just raise them up and take your grip. You should probably see 2 or 3 knuckles with that grip - stick with it, forget about it and practice, it will feel good in no time.

VERY IMPORTANT - make sure that in the left hand you have the grip secured under the pad in the palm and in the base of your forefinger, and in the right hand you have the club secure in the fingers (but low down in the fingers)

disclaimer - I'm not a pro, but I have read enough about the grip through the many years of studying this game to know these things to be true.