Strong grip - change or stick?

huttonline

Club Champion
golfshot.com
Hi guys,

I have a 'strong' grip, right hand thumb straight down the shaft if not a bit to the right. It feels comfortable and allows me to get good power through the ball. Tendency to push to the left with a bit of draw, but I naturally swing inside the line so it isn't normally a problem.

Question is - should I weaken it and adjust swing, or keep going as is?

Cheers

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Right hand thumb straight down the shaft does not sound 'Strong' in fact thats a bit weak. A strong grip would see it more over the right hand side of the grip.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd say that it's best to keep your grip practically as it is, make sure you have forward shaft lean through impact. Just don't let the right hand go travelling around to the right of the club too far. Having the thumb ON the shaft can cause issues with cocking the club and through impact which is why it's better to rest the clubs grip inside the V of the thumb and finger... you can actually hit shots with your right thumb OFF the grip altogether!

Take a peek at this vid....

[video=youtube;Gg8hSHfi1oI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg8hSHfi1oI[/video]

I prefer a grip that is slightly on the strong side but don't let the right hand wander too much, as I said in my 1st post, nothing good comes from an overly strong right hand :thup:

Micky P

Hacker
Visit site
Hi there i have only singed up today and having a flick through.

I have a very strong grip to the point that i have to think to tone it down a bit.
I am an old school roofer by trade and use a hammer all day, so my right forearm is like popeye's
and i have 3 knuckles showing.

I had 3 lessons with the club pro and i got no where and was very let down :(

then went away on a golf weekend i had an 18 hole playing lesson, and he was brilliant told me that texed book swing would never work for me.
He changed me all around and with in 5 holes is was hitting another 30 yards.

so i am all for the strong grip.

But don't listen to me i have only been playing for 2 years

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO it would be best to change - but only if your prepared to put in the time and effort. It would feel weird at first and you will hit the ball way right. You will have to change something else to get the ball going straight. Might be worth posting a picture or even better a vid.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO it would be best to change - but only if your prepared to put in the time and effort. It would feel weird at first and you will hit the ball way right. You will have to change something else to get the ball going straight. Might be worth posting a picture or even better a vid.

I would 100% agree with this! I have just had my grip changed as it was too strong, yes the change felt weird and everything went right etc, but 1 practice session later, I played 18 holes and finished 2 over par (net) and could easily take 10+ shots off from bad putts etc, the grip change for me is a game changer, it won't be long for me to shoot under 80.

Micky P

Hacker
Visit site
310499_267807053237086_100000233803566_1080252_7054193_n.jpg

this is the second time that my swing has been changed and is seems to be better (but i do not know a lot so not say that im right in any way)

huttonline

Club Champion
golfshot.com
Thanks guys for the replies, appreciated. The video was helpful too.

Played a par3 course on Monday and most iron shots started straight and drew to the left (not enough to be called a hook, but more than a useful draw). Only by turning the right hand even further to the right and basically sliding the club under the ball could I get the ball high and straight (almost a hole in one, but that's no vindication!)

Will book in to see the pro as I think I need to get it looked at. Although I can play with it and could tweak a bit to get it straighter, I want to improve properly and don't mind putting in some practice hours on the range.

Cheers.