Stromness Golf Club

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hello,

Been tidying up some photos on the computer and found a coouple of my course. Not taken in the best weather though.

In the first photo you can see the 1st green and the 2nd tee (at the end of the path leading from the green). To the left in the background you can see the 3rd green and 4th tee. In the background you can see the Ness Battery, which is apparently one of the best preserved examples in Europe. The island in the extreme background is Hoy.

The second photo shows the 2nd green. The golfer in the background is standing between the 4th and 5th fairway. The hut in the picture is beside the 10th tee.

I'll try and get some better pictures when the weather allows.

Thanks for looking.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
it must be an amazing place to play. you must be a good wind player!!

I was up in Shetland for work 2 summers ago, we had a walk around one of the courses there on a beautiful summers evening. I'm not sure I'd fancy it in a breeze !

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It is a good place to play, the views are really good on a nice day(If we get another one I'll take some better photos). The course isn't that long but the weather can make it very tricky, the wind in particular. Needless to say nobody hits the ball very high up here.

Which course in Shetland did you walk round? Dale or Whalsay? Both the 18 holers up there are a lot tougher than the courses we have here. If you get the chance to go back I would definately suggest you go and play Whalsay, bit of trek but well worth it.

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah, that one is Dale. I played it a few years ago.

Played Whalsay last year and it is awesome. It's worth googling their website to see the pictures of their course. Most of the members are millionaire fishermen but you'd never know it.

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seeing as the weather has been a bit better over the weekend I've managed to get a better photo of the course. It's taken from the same place as the first picture originally posted but on a slightly better day.