Strategy

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Folks

My technical game is improving significantly this year now that I have the time to dedicate myself to the sport. My round on Saturday confirmed to me that the greatest problem with my golf game now is strategic. One errant drive landed me in the first cut with overhanging branches cutting out any direct route to the green. What followed was a foolhardy shot towards the green that caught up in the tree, bounced off the trunk and ended up at my feet. What I presume I should have played, in the circumstance, was either a low punch to progress the ball some distance further forward or a shot to play to the left side of the fairway and thus give me a good line in to the green.

I want to spend some time working on this strategic side, therefore, and was hoping people may be able to point me in the direction of useful reading materials. Of course familiarity with the each hole will make a big difference but I hope there is something out there to read regarding percentage shots, clever tactics and strategy to stop me wasting shots in scenarios as above.

Many thanks for any pointers or guidance.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
There is no better strategy guide than from the master himself - Jack Nicklaus. His book "Golf My Way" is an all time classic and gives a useful insight into to course management and strategy.