Strange local rule

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just been reading the local rules on the back of the card from Didsbury, the course I played on tuesday ( yes, I know I should have read it at the time) and I cam across this

10th hole - club restriction, Restricted to clubs of 17 degrees of loft and above for all play on the 10th hole (excluding Putters/chipping devices)

Anyone come across a similar rule, and why would it be in place. The10th is a par 4, 377 off the whites and from my memory is a straight hole played from an elevated tee.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
a bit of Googling came up with this

I am pleased to say that at the Management Meeting held on Tuesday 6th May it was agreed that for a trial period of 3 months starting from the 1st June the use of woods will be allowed whilst playing the 10th hole for male members which have of course previously been banned for many years because of the potential danger to players playing the 11th hole. However the usage of such clubs is to be limited to those of 17degrees loft and above which effectively means a 5 wood or rescue club and still excludes the use of a driver or 3 wood. All clubs are marked to confirm their degree of loft so monitoring the correct usage of a club should be relatively straightforward. The Lady members who are Full Memebrs of the Club will also be subject to this rule whilst playing in competitions which are open to Full Members.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
10th hole - club restriction, Restricted to clubs of 17 degrees of loft and above for all play on the 10th hole (excluding Putters/chipping devices)

Thats a bit nuts alright .. wonder the legality of that LOCAL rule in inter club / county competition matches , telling the away team they cant use certain clubs to play this hole..

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was a thread last week about odd local rules, and the Club limiting one is not unusual, but according to Duncan Mackie (who knows his stuff) such local rules are not permitted.
But still exist!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 10th and 11th are separated by a row of mature trees. But how many other courses are there when players on one hole and in danger of being hit by players from another. At my course the 16th ladies tee, is front and left of the 4th green, the 4th being around 260 from the whites with a blind drive. Now that is dangerous.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 10th and 11th are separated by a row of mature trees. But how many other courses are there when players on one hole and in danger of being hit by players from another. At my course the 16th ladies tee, is front and left of the 4th green, the 4th being around 260 from the whites with a blind drive. Now that is dangerous.

Ouch!
What club is this? I'd love to look at course plan

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Yeh played quite few times and that is a hole that you get a move on even from mens tee,as ive seen few balls fizzing around when making our way to 16th fairway....hard hats for ladies me thinks :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I cannot see how this rule makes sense anyway. I know people who can hit a 5 wood or lower further than I can it a driver and are equally capable of spraying it left or right.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
I have a come across this a couple of times and as others have hinted at, it's usually to do with the proximity of houses or similar and the propensity of golfers to spray it around like an unmanned hose with the big stick. I believe there's a short par 4 at Leatherhead where you are (or were) either instructed or encouraged not to hit a driver or wooden club, I think because the course lost some land to the M25 resulting in a couple of very tight, crammed in holes. And Royal Ashdown Forest in my home village had this in place for a while on its par-5 5th hole after rather too many drives had strayed right into adjoining gardens.

So, unusual, but not unheard of...

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
I cannot see how this rule makes sense anyway. I know people who can hit a 5 wood or lower further than I can it a driver and are equally capable of spraying it left or right.

I think it's because the lower the loft the more sidespin you can put on the ball, although obviously we are all capable of hitting it anywhere with absolutely any club...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A stupid rule developed by people who think they can write any rule they like. Which they can't.

So if I hit my 5 wood, can I put my hands forward and deloft it?

Can I use my 16.5 degree wood which is adjustable to more than 17 degrees?

Did they know that Ping often exaggerate the loft of clubs so that one marked 16 degrees may be 18? Is that allowed?

There are players who can slice the bejasus out of a 7 iron, let alone a driver. A rule attempting to limit this is really really silly. I would also like to see the rule of golf that allows them to apply a penalty to any offender. They can say that gentleman must dress to the left (don't ask) after 7.30 on Tuesdays in the clubhouse if they like. That is not covered by the rules of golf.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Local rule tho , its probably "if you wana play here you go by these rules , if ya dont like it , dont play" attitude ..

still stupid tho IMO

But the point is that a Committee's discretion to introduce local rules is limited. There is no provision in the rules for them to limit club selection. Nor could a club decide to ban belly putters.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh ok i thought it may be allowed on safety grounds etc .. i wouldnt be familiar with what local rules can/cannot include ..

but like you add they cant ban belly putters so how can they tell you what club to play .. good example

i thought it was mainly stupid due to the varying distances people hit certain clubs , as we know on here , driver can vary between between 200 & 371 :whistle: ,