Stopping Forward Head Movement - Downswing

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been plagued over the years with every now and again consistently hitting the heel of the club which can in the worse case cause consistent shanks.

Current play off 11 and when playing well I am hitting the ball solidly with no thoughts of heel strikes but every year once or twice it seems to creep back in to my game

I have videod my swing last night and once again it’s really clear that on the downswing my head is moving towards the ball which is causing the bottom of the swing to then be a lot nearer the heel of the club that I was at setup.

I am trying everything to stop this, it seems to be such a simple of fix of basically just keep your head still but no matter what I try it keeps happening

Does anyone have any suggestions or drills I can try that might get me to be more stable in the downswing and that will allow me to keep my head in the same position in the downswing than it was at setup and stop me moving forward towards the ball?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
There will be better replies along....

Maybe try concentrating on where the weight is moving through your feet. After a bit I could feel it shifting to my toes.

A drill also can be to address the ball but intentionally miss it on the inside for a few practice swings.

Good luck

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There will be better replies along....

Maybe try concentrating on where the weight is moving through your feet. After a bit I could feel it shifting to my toes.

A drill also can be to address the ball but intentionally miss it on the inside for a few practice swings.

Good luck

The crazy thing is when I do take the practise swings I can easily hit the inside of something I pick out on the ground. I am not even close to being heel side of it.

The problems seems to start when I am actually try and hit the ball

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have videod my swing last night and once again it’s really clear that on the downswing my head is moving towards the ball which is causing the bottom of the swing to then be a lot nearer the heel of the club that I was at setup.

Not necessarily.
Would need to see the video to see what's really going on.