Stock piling , panic buying.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got the car mot’d yesterday before they made an exemption, I had it done at the village garage which is pretty much a 1 man band.
He always does my car and is good. He was saying he will struggle to cover the rent for the garage premises even with the help. Which will be a disaster if he goes! He also went round to help someone who’s car was not starting, they were saying new starter motor but it was just a new battery which is significantly cheaper but they could not afford to replace it. So people are on the fine line..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure a cake making session is a great way of using basic ingredients... Along with the associated intake of sugar on consumption...
No, but if you're cutting back on what you eat or have a very limited food choice in the house what is wrong with a small piece of cake to lift the spirits?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, but if you're cutting back on what you eat or have a very limited food choice in the house what is wrong with a small piece of cake to lift the spirits?

Not really said it's wrong... But, if the egg shortage is entirely down to cake making sessions then it's more than a small piece being consumed to "lift the spirits"...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure a cake making session is a great way of using basic ingredients... Along with the associated intake of sugar on consumption...
They are if you had my wife's strict diet restrictions.
There is not an awful lot of 'nice' things she can eat but plain sponge/madeira cake is one.
Our wee village community shop is being brilliant, they know who needs support and while we are managing fine they came up with skimmed milk, white bread, eggs and bananas for my mrs yesterday.(y)

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really said it's wrong... But, if the egg shortage is entirely down to cake making sessions then it's more than a small piece being consumed to "lift the spirits"...
I agree, but we know the egg shortage has nothing to do with people flooding out to make cakes don't we:)
For what it's worth, we had half a doz eggs in the house yesterday so my not working daughter whos a self employed hairdresser made a good cake. We dont normally eat cake, and dont very often eat eggs either. However the cake she made will last the best part of a week with sensible slices so the 3 eggs will have gone to good use and their life and use has been stretched out. We now have 3 eggs in the house, but so be it we will get another half doz whenever we can, if we can.:)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Surely home baking is the best way to make the most of basic ingredients over constantly buying preservative filled mass made and reduce the number of shopping trips to restock.

I was always told home baking should be the way we do things.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely home baking is the best way to make the most of basic ingredients over constantly buying preservative filled mass made and reduce the number of shopping trips to restock.

I was always told home baking should be the way we do things.

Under normal circumstances, for me, home baking (including bread ?) was a regular occurrence... Strictly low carb now and eggs boiled, poached etc are needed for my protein and we've simply not been able to get any... So I questioned what's everybody doing stockpiling them and it appears the answer is cake making...

Fortunately we have plenty of carrots ??✌...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Under normal circumstances, for me, home baking (including bread ?) was a regular occurrence... Strictly low carb now and eggs boiled, poached etc are needed for my protein and we've simply not been able to get any... So I questioned what's everybody doing stockpiling them and it appears the answer is cake making...

Fortunately we have plenty of carrots ??✌...
You be careful there...dont want you turning orange or sprouting a bunny tail..!