Stock piling , panic buying.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not doing it, I wont be doing it. We did our weekly shop yesterday, just bought the usual.

The shops will only run out if people behave like headless chickens. Thankfully the supply system is pretty robust and once the clowns have bought 30 bottles of handwash they wont need replacements so the shelves will fill again.

Handwash and toilet rolls are both produced in the UK, the two items people are losing it over, so we are not reliant on imports for those. Lead times should be short, no need to panic.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Someone I played with this morning has a wife who works at the local Sainsbury's and reckons they're taking Christmas week type money so clearly they are doing alright from the panic buying. HID went to do the weekly shop and got there at opening time assuming the shelves would be rapidly emptied. Already a queue outside the door and loo rolls, dried stuff like pasta and paracetamol stripped in minutes. Daft

D

Deleted member 1147

I bought a large bag of tees today...does that count?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just finished my weekly shop at Tesco in Ayr...…..no shortages of anything that I could see, no queues, in fact it was very quiet.

Elsewhere in 'Blitz Spirit UK'
Lady Doon's Essex branch report, panic buying, crazy queues and many argy bargys. :love:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Panic bought two McMuffins this morning instead of one. In hindsight I bought a years supply of loo roll and kitchen roll off groupon 3 months ago. 3ply luxury soft. Much cheaper than Costco.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mate works for Sainsbury's and the stuff that's being cleaned out is a lot more than just bog rolls.
I was in our local Morrison's yesterday and toilet rolls and liquid soap were the only empty sections I saw. I was in lidl's this morning for milk and fruit for work and it was the same there as well. This was echoed on the Jeremy Vine show on R2 on Friday. People may be buying other items in larger volumes but based on my limited and unscientific survey they are not emptying the shelves of those things.

I suspect some of it is that word got out that people were panic buying liquid soap and toilet rolls so the sheep piled in and did the same. No doubt if word gets out that people are stocking up on pasta then others will go out and do the same meaning the shelves empty of that as well. The psychology of this is quite interesting and sadly predictable.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I won't stock up much more than I normally do

Costco trips

In our garage is normally 80 bog rolls (cheap as chips)
Pack of 24 cans of beans
80 bottles of water

In the freezer is normally 14 portions of steak and about 10 chicken breasts

That's just normal after a big trip.. saves money long term

But won't be adding more to that

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I won't stock up much more than I normally do

Costco trips

In our garage is normally 80 bog rolls (cheap as chips)
Pack of 24 cans of beans
80 bottles of water

In the freezer is normally 14 portions of steak and about 10 chicken breasts

That's just normal after a big trip.. saves money long term

But won't be adding more to that
Why do you buy so many bottles of water? Not having a pop, genuinely interested

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do you buy so many bottles of water? Not having a pop, genuinely interested

We don't go to Costco often and drink bottle water at home. Always have in fridge .. lasts ages

Anytime we go out take a few with us

It'd £3.50 ISH for 40 bottles so grab 2 from Costco when we go

I run the work tuck shop and bottle water is also our best seller everytime I do a Costco run I get 3 cases of it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't go to Costco often and drink bottle water at home. Always have in fridge .. lasts ages

Anytime we go out take a few with us

It'd £3.50 ISH for 40 bottles so grab 2 from Costco when we go

I run the work tuck shop and bottle water is also our best seller everytime I do a Costco run I get 3 cases of it
Why drink bottled water at home? Is your tap water dodgy or does it taste bad?

Not sure Greta would approve. Not thought of buying a drinks bottle and just fill that?

Never come across someone in the UK buying and using bottled water like this, hence the question.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why drink bottled water at home? Is your tap water dodgy or does it taste bad?

Not sure Greta would approve. Not thought of buying a drinks bottle and just fill that?

Never come across someone in the UK buying and using bottled water like this, hence the question.

It's ever so helpful. Can take it out the house. Down the gym I use a refillable bottle and take that golfing with me

However their great for company..ice cold water is much nicer than tap water and that's a fact.

You would be surprised how many people drink it. People always buying it at Costco because it works out 9p a bottle.

I like to make squash in it and carry on the course along with water in a refillable bottle. Travels well. Refreshing and cheap.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Have I panic bought, nope. Hopefully am off to Mexico next Saturday so I won’t need owt for two weeks. But when this Virus reared its head i mentioned to Missis T I will get a few extra things in. It is things that will keep and if all is well it will get used. that was 2-3 weeks ago. No one batted an eyelid.
I kinda get why people have bought extra but to panic buy. I will bet there’s a few amongst the 16 million that are now quarantined in Italy had done the same and bought a few extra things.
back in the 70,s and 80,s when there were power cuts. Candles cost a bloody fortune, batteries where extortionate. I still have 20-30 candles in the garage I bought decades ago.does it make you a hoarder panic buyer for being one step ahead.