Stock piling , panic buying.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hmmm. The cynic in me says "marketing strategy" rather than altruism ?

Maybe.. but it is a great one. At this point we surely need a bit of it. I have seen pics of hotels and airlines that have surplus food starting to deliver to hospitals instead. Great media coverage, but its at times like this, that leadership will stand out.

D

Deleted member 23270

My wife did a shop for her parents this morning at an Aldi. Everything was full, even rice and pasta. All was calm, gaps were maintained.
Can you send me a bag of rice please? Can't get any for love nor money down here :(

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any 'you know what'
They were not on their list so she actually did not go down that aisle. I did ask purely out of interest but she didn't know. When toilet rolls and handwash are freely available again we will know things are getting better
Can you send me a bag of rice please? Can't get any for love nor money down here :(
£100 a bag :LOL:. Hopefully that will calm down now that people are not supposed to be going out so much, restrictions are largely in place. Have you tried the smaller shops, farm shops etc? People seem to be heading to the big supermarkets still but the smaller shops are not being stripped.
Good to hear, wonder how long it will last?
We can only hope. If people follow the 1 shop per week rule, restrictions on how many of one item they can buy, then it should carry on. It certainly removes one level of stress if you know you can get your basics. I am pleased we are quite rural, I think you are too. Rural life looks even more appealing right now compared to densely populated cities.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They were not on their list so she actually did not go down that aisle. I did ask purely out of interest but she didn't know. When toilet rolls and handwash are freely available again we will know things are getting better

£100 a bag :LOL:. Hopefully that will calm down now that people are not supposed to be going out so much, restrictions are largely in place. Have you tried the smaller shops, farm shops etc? People seem to be heading to the big supermarkets still but the smaller shops are not being stripped.

We can only hope. If people follow the 1 shop per week rule, restrictions on how many of one item they can buy, then it should carry on. It certainly removes one level of stress if you know you can get your basics. I am pleased we are quite rural, I think you are too. Rural life looks even more appealing right now compared to densely populated cities.
Sneck has 4 tesco and an Asda, a lidle and 2 aldi, so should be more than enough, but they do have to supply the surrounding area too. My mate was up at Dornoch the weekend playing and stooped off with his two girls in the Asda in Tain, said all the shelves were full of everything, Tain is a tiny place witha Teco and and Asda so they are very well off.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife did a shop for her parents this morning at an Aldi. Everything was full, even rice and pasta. All was calm, gaps were maintained.

Herself made it to our local Aldi... Just got back home... Shelves were not brimming but she got the essentials... Everyone was on best behaviour and she was especially impressed screens were already in place at the checkouts... German efficiency for you...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just went into town to collect our meet order from the butcher, wife nipped into M&S for some milk, shelves are full, much of it reduced as its near its sell by. not a soul in there either... Lady on the check out told her the only thing they don't have is toilet roll???

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
just went into town to collect our meet order from the butcher, wife nipped into M&S for some milk, shelves are full, much of it reduced as its near its sell by. not a soul in there either... Lady on the check out told her the only thing they don't have is toilet roll???
Was the same in Manchester yesterday. They literally couldn't give stuff away. Also, no loo rolls though...

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
For the duration of the crisis, our supermarket chain opens from 5 to 7 AM, three days a week, just for seniors. This is to limit our exposure, but also to get a chance to buy stuff like TP and whatnot before it disappears, despite daily stocking.
There is actually a cop at the door to prevent younger people from entering before 7.

Now, to be candid, 5AM is closer to a retiring time than it is to a rising time from my perspective. Being totally unable to sleep would normally be my only reason to know that 5AM exists. Those are the days that I watch Joe and Mika.
Nevertheless, I took advantage of these emergency crisis hours and was rewarded with not only toilet paper but about four hundred bucks worth of other stuff as well, this even with purchasing limits in place.

What really impressed me, though, is that everything was priced normally. Nothing was marked up to exploit the crisis for crass profiteering. People will remember the businesses who operated this honorably.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we might be back to 80% normal for the time, pre weekend.
Just went for a lunchtime shop at our local super Tesco, and apart from queuing outside for 10ish minutes I got everything I wanted, just some stuff in less than normal quantities, even while there was plenty in the shop (diet coke). They had some toilet paper, limited pasta, limited rice, but everything else seemed to have been at near full capacity.
To be fair, like most others until a fortnight ago I wouldn't even know where to look for hand sanitiser so this is likely out, but soap was available too.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because of their some out - some in policy, had to queue for 45 minutes to get into our Tesco today - but then, it was sunny, and I had nothing better to do. The queue actually looked massive until you realised quite how strung out it was.

Was lovely inside though - would consider queuing every time if you could shop without any crowds. Got pretty much everything we wanted/needed although there seemed to be some strange gaps - often for strange items. Main gripe is who keeps taking all the flour? And Mrs B only likes one brand of tea - and they only had teeny tiny little boxes of them or an enormous sackful. So we're now sorted for tea bags until Christmas. Otherwise can probably now stay safe inside Castle Backwoods & avoid shops for the best part of a fortnight.

Ps: dont tell anyone else, but they had those "things" - you know, the ones that come out of chickens ...