Stock piling , panic buying.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
use my special opening times at m and s food today. I was the first person through the door and even then shelf where sparse. I got what I wanted but ended up splitting a bag of toilet roll with a nurse. on the upside the florist gave us all bouquets of flowers for free. they where priced up at £20 so I have them the wife and said "just for you my darling" ?.
I'm going to hell aren't I!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We're quite well stocked so used our "essential" trip to go to Sainsbury's for the couple across the road as yesterday wasn't too successful. Lots more fruit and veg on the shelf and milk so got both. Sadly still not bread or eggs or fresh meat but got them some kitchen towel and loo rolls large box of tea bags and a couple of boxes of cereals. Not much but hopefully it'll keep them going a bit longer. Means I can hang on until the weekend now to go out (other than to and from work) and then go to the NHS early shop for our own needs and hopefully the stores will have a chance to stock up more as people won't be going shopping every day (Yeah, FAT CHANCE)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drove to Sainsbury's chingford on way home

Queue to get in 50 odd people so didn't bother

Drove to Waitrose nearer home .. small queue . Got everything I needed .. worth the extra

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
On Sunday our local Waitrose had dozens of tins of baked beans but not much else. Today I found out they are the ones you need a tin opener for. Some frantic search revealed we have a bad one that just about works at home.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hopefully when are on the other side, our big companies will give a x% discount to all NHS staff. The Americans have their veteran and Forces discount - we need an NHS one

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Hopefully when are on the other side, our big companies will give a x% discount to all NHS staff. The Americans have their veteran and Forces discount - we need an NHS one

There is a NHS discount scheme, but it does need rolling out further.

It would also need cards to be annually updated with photo ID, as unfortunately they’ll be abused by those that look to exploit any opportunity.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

There is. "Blue Light" is a discount card for all emergency service workers and Armed Forces......... you can only order them from specific email domains, get some pretty decent deals on a whole range of stuff.

Mind you, that doesn't invalidate your first sentence at all!! I also think those who can afford to, need to go out and spend to get things going again!!

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
A local wholesale supplier has just set up a home delivery service. Only problem is the volumes you'd have to buy in...had a look but minimum is a kilo of anything and much of it way more.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is. "Blue Light" is a discount card for all emergency service workers and Armed Forces......... you can only order them from specific email domains, get some pretty decent deals on a whole range of stuff.

Mind you, that doesn't invalidate your first sentence at all!! I also think those who can afford to, need to go out and spend to get things going again!!

Was not aware. But equally it does not have to be work related. You should be able to flash your ID just as the yanks do. I think Pizza hut/express or someone used to do that. Many months ago, i was looking to do a deal at Sofology and he bluntly put it, the only discount our MD will allow is an NHS discount. Great thing, but sadly, they dont advertise it anywhere

A local wholesale supplier has just set up a home delivery service. Only problem is the volumes you'd have to buy in...had a look but minimum is a kilo of anything and much of it way more.

A kilo of bog rolls?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Was not aware. But equally it does not have to be work related. You should be able to flash your ID just as the yanks do. I think Pizza hut/express or someone used to do that. Many months ago, i was looking to do a deal at Sofology and he bluntly put it, the only discount our MD will allow is an NHS discount. Great thing, but sadly, they dont advertise it anywhere

A kilo of bog rolls?

You used to get a yearly booklet with all the companies listed that offer discounts, same as Fire Service, Police and others. Not sure if these are still in operation though.

D

Deleted member 23270

My stepson is an NHS paramedic, they already get some concessions. Free stuff from Costa/McDonalds when they are working, one or two other places as well. Not a huge amount but at least he can eat & drink for free during his breaks when working.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm in the online queue with Morrisons. I normally shop with them anyway and had one booked already. Can't work out if I'm queuing to edit my order or place a new one. The wait was over an hour.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got yet another email from Our CEO.... all the usual naff stuff. Got one from Halfords and I am pleased to say unlike Fat Ashley, they are going to get some good reviews.. Well done Halfords..

1585155441559.png

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Was trying to work out when is a good time to try the shops in this "new normal". Went for around 7pm, if I spotted people queuing to go in I'd about. But was fine. Still gaps but gathered most of what was after, even a bottle of handwash!
I think shoppers are splitting into two groups now, those aware of the surroundings and doing the best they can to distance, and those who are oblivious ?