Stinky Golf Shoes

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got caught in the rain other day (was suppose to be a less than 5% chance of rain and ofc pee'd down for half the round) my shoes were soaked.. didnt have time to wash them that night.. and with work took about 4 days to get around to cleaning them. A good scrub and even febreeze later they still stink!

any tips?

their currently in the freezer (ive read somewhere that apparently gets rid of the smell)

got on order a mesh washing machine bag to put them in.. footjoy say you can put into the machine (their the freestyles) and then these cedar stretching blocks to put in them as they dry.

any one do anything else to clear theirs?

I already own 3 pairs to rotate them a bit.. so they get less wear and less chance to smell.. normally try and clean them within a day

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Put a good bit of baking soda into a couple of old socks lined with a bit of kitchen roll to prevent it falling though the fabric. Place into the shoes and it helps dry and deodorise.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go onto netmums and search on there. Honestly. We had issues with my son's trainers once and they had huge threads on there about this. I can't remember what solved it in the end but I think it took a few suggestions for his. Baking soda was certainly an option and is a good starting point. (Incidentally if you are buying kids trainers try to avoid the sexy looking but plastic ones. They are evil)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Buy some new shoes, seems like a whole lot of too much trouble to me :smirk:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get a newspaper, scrunch the pages up into balls
Take out insoles - put insoles into airing cupboard
Stuff shoes with newspaper balls
Don't put in airing cupboard !
But find somewhere not cold and leave overnight. Don't put in your wardrobe, because all the smell is going to come out !
Use fresh-ish newspaper balls each time you play

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cram newspaper inside when your shoes get wet and make sure you leave them somewhere with plenty of air, ie. not the locker/car/shoe cupboard

Cheers for that, Normally my shoes (well all the time) live in our porch which is nice and open. I try to remember to leave the bags I store them in unzipped so they can air although last time I forgot as I rushed to tidy my stuff away for the guests coming round for dinner

The shoes have been in the freezer overnight, the outside of the shoe now smells normal again (ie no hum) the inside smells just like a normal pair of sports shoes would (slight hum not overpowering) this morning the cedar foot trees I ordered off ebay arrived and they are now inside the shoe in the now sealed bag. tomorrow I will assess them. I think they are fine now though.

Not too worried about the smell of the insoles at the moment because my 4 new pairs of plantar insoles have arrived.. I walked round a golf course in 3 hours on friday for the first time since I hurt my ankle (have played 7 rounds since then all with buggies which I dont like doing) and found it fairly pain free considering the pace we played at. Going to replace my golf shoe insoles with these for this season at least. They have worked wonders in my work shoes

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fill with un-cooked farfalle pasta (not farfalline), let me know how you get on
;)

That or the newspaper thing with fresh insoles

D

Deleted Member 1156

Spray liberal amounts of your wife's most expensive perfume into them :thup:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Go onto netmums and search on there. Honestly. We had issues with my son's trainers once and they had huge threads on there about this. I can't remember what solved it in the end but I think it took a few suggestions for his. Baking soda was certainly an option and is a good starting point. (Incidentally if you are buying kids trainers try to avoid the sexy looking but plastic ones. They are evil)

Are you honestly suggesting a member of the Golf Monthly forum should register for Netmums?? The humiliation, the embarrassment, the shame ....... :D