Shrink my golf shoes

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Bought a new pair of Footjoy DryJoys Tour recently and decided, for once, to look after them properly so bought a fancy cedar shoe tree.

Unfortunately the fit was a little snug and the shoes have actually stretched about a half a size, enough to be noticeable.

Any chance of reversing this? Soak and leave them or would that ruin the leather? Or bigger in-soles?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
They may come back a little through use....i use shoe trees for all my leather and find they shape more than stretch.
I definitely wouldn't want to soak with a view to degrade.
Socks and insoles are both options - hopefully short term.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely wouldn't soak them. I always put new shoes on a shoe tree to give them an initial bit of shape and will usually try and break them in by putting them on in the house for a short period of time. Touch wood I've never had any issues but I would simply suggest thicker socks or insoles

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not reducing in size but if it is now a little big try an insert. I use a gel heel insert in one pair of my golf shoes as the left fits perfectly, the right is a little loose. The heel insert just fills it out enough and has the added benefit of helping with cushioning, plantar whatsit etc.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been told in the past to buy leather shoes as a tight fit, since they'll give as you wear them. If they have stretched, an insole or thicker socks is much better than messing with the shoes.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been told in the past to buy leather shoes as a tight fit, since they'll give as you wear them. If they have stretched, an insole or thicker socks is much better than messing with the shoes.
My dad always when by that mantra when buying new shoes. However mor soften than not the new shoes crippled him for almost their whole life, and gave him bunions and corns galore.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks all. I’ll try some in-soles. Co-incidentally my Amazon “Deals of the Day” email is currently pushing memory foam in-soles. Any good for golf? I love my Tempur pillow :)

I’ll also try my thermal socks which I’d forgotten I have.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks all. I’ll try some in-soles. Co-incidentally my Amazon “Deals of the Day” email is currently pushing memory foam in-soles. Any good for golf? I love my Tempur pillow :)

Might be worth checking waterproof socks. Most are a little thicker than normal which will help anyway but also great for winter golf and walking in the rough or playing in the rain

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
one of the reasons i no longer buy FJ shoes, poor quality leather that stretches. little point buying shoes in your size when they are two sizes too big withing 2 months

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

They would soak up a lot of water if they get damp I think, so that might be a concern to consider.