Still no solution?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play generally 3 games a week and, at ours, a 4 ball takes just shy of 4 hours. I can't recall many games at home,or away for that matter, where the speed of play was a real issue and if I've driven for 90 minutes to play a course I wouldn't overly worry about slow play if the weather was lovely and the course was worth the drive. If I play at a top course then I would go there expecting a very slow round but be content if it's quicker than I thought it would be.

That's not to say I disagree with etiquette being properly observed.

My thoughts too. I tend to skip over the slow play threads as I don't see it as a problem.

My last 6 rounds at our club have taken our 3 ball a max of 3hrs 20. I'd change golf club if I was experiencing overly long rounds regularly

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Definitely an issue round where we are. Our course never used to be as busy but with improvements and other courses locally closing we are now on the verge of being too busy. Every comp round you can guarantee to be 4hrs+ and majority of bounce games likely to be the same these days. In the week when it actually can get busier than weekend mainly with the senior section plus some pay and play then 4 hours is a good day!

As for moving club? Where to? We arent blessed with lots of courses to choose from and most of the local courses suffer from the same issues

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
This ^^
Genuinely can't remember when I have played and slow play has been an issue, Home course - People tend to tee off similar times each week.
Away course - be ready to play, respect course, enjoy.
If I was constantly experiencing slow play to were it became an issue I would change when or where I played.
Do people on here constantly experience slow play or is it being over-hyped?

In my opinion it is not being overhyped because there is a problem.
But my op was about Bills take on it and in his opinion it has been around for decades but nothing concrete has been done to address and his idea to address the problem in the amateur game was wrong.
We as individuals cant address and confront people personally especially on the course.

The pro problem is simple in that that take miles to long and only shot penaties will work.
The slow play threads have been done to death as some have pointed out and this was not about all the scenarios that cause slow play it was more about is it pointless as its always been a problem and always will.

Me personally I am sick of reading about slow play as I am in the camp of if you have not got the time to play 18 play less holes.
If you want to play in comps don't enter if you have not got 4-5 hours.

Golf is a pastime and should be enjoyed.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
But my op was about Bills take on it and in his opinion it has been around for decades but nothing concrete has been done to address and his idea to address the problem in the amateur game was wrong.
We as individuals cant address and confront people personally especially on the course.

The pro problem is simple in that that take miles to long and only shot penaties will work.
The slow play threads have been done to death as some have pointed out and this was not about all the scenarios that cause slow play it was more about is it pointless as its always been a problem and always will.

Me personally I am sick of reading about slow play as I am in the camp of if you have not got the time to play 18 play less holes.

For most of my golfing life, competition rounds have always taken less than 4 hours. Now, you're telling me that 5 hours is acceptable. Why not 6 or 7 hours? Why should I not play because I feel that 5 hours is too long?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Me personally, Im sick of other people not giving a damn about anyone else but themselves and turning what should be a really enjoyable 3-4 hours into a hugely frustrating 5 hours. I have the time to play, doesnt mean I have to enjoy a stop start slow round when selfish people care only about themselves. Oh and it really frustrates me when I do moan about their selfishness to be told that its only a game and I should enjoy it whatever

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me personally, Im sick of other people not giving a damn about anyone else but themselves and turning what should be a really enjoyable 3-4 hours into a hugely frustrating 5 hours. I have the time to play, doesnt mean I have to enjoy a stop start slow round when selfish people care only about themselves. Oh and it really frustrates me when I do moan about their selfishness to be told that its only a game and I should enjoy it whatever

The trouble is the selfishness will never stop.
You also point out in your last statement why Bills way wont work either as some people can never be told they are slow and spoiling it for others.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
we have some issues with groups at my course, especially on a Saturday morning being notoriously slow. We've approached them on and off the course, we've raised it formally and nothing changes. They refuse to accept there's an issue, despite then usually being off the first some fifteen minutes before our group goes out and invariably they've been caught by the third. The club hasn't bothered to investigate, monitor or even respond. If those in charge don't look into these things (and btw the group that use to play in our slot had the same issues and did the same thing) what hope is there?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The biggest difference I see now compared to when I started playing in ther early 70's is how long it takes a player to hit the ball. Yes a lot are not ready to play, but in the old days you would take a quick practice swish and then hit the ball. On the tee you were not allowed a practice swing otherwise the a greenkeeper would be over giving you a telling off. Tee it up and hit it. Now it is lasers out checking distance to bunkers, ponds etc. Then it is a pre shot routine that lasts as long as a Pro's, and finally a swing. Ball often scuttles 100 yards, and it all starts again.

Get on the green and it is just as bad. Putts checked out from all angles, usually only when it is the players turn to play. putts of a few inches marked instead of just knocked in.

I can't see any other reasons why rounds take so long. Golfers can walk just as fast these days. Too many amateur golfers watch the Pro's take forever and think that is what they should do.

If you are new to the game you may not see a problem, but if you have played for years slow play can suck the enjoyment out. Interesting article by Bill Elliott in this months GM, for those that think it is just me with a problem.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The trouble is the selfishness will never stop.
You also point out in your last statement why Bills way wont work either as some people can never be told they are slow and spoiling it for others.

hence my earlier post, nothing changes without sorting out the pro game then educating all golfers, sadly never gonna happen and its only gonna get worse, especially at busier courses

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
For most of my golfing life, competition rounds have always taken less than 4 hours. Now, you're telling me that 5 hours is acceptable. Why not 6 or 7 hours? Why should I not play because I feel that 5 hours is too long?

Lol talk about taking words out of context and adding your own scenario.

Where did I ever say 5 hours was acceptable.
What I was saying is if you want to play comps give yourself between 4+5 hours because that's what it could take.
If its quicker then fine.
No different to a 4 hour journey in a car always give yourself more time just in case.

I would be very surprised if all your competitions have been less than 4 hours as I have played in many many comps this year well over 4 hours and loads on here will vouch for that.
Sometimes a 5 hour round can be quite enjoyable in the right company.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
hence my earlier post, nothing changes without sorting out the pro game then educating all golfers, sadly never gonna happen and its only gonna get worse, especially at busier courses

Exactly why this thread was started.

The R@A need to grow some and start dishing out the penalties.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Exactly why this thread was started.

Totally agree but with something ludicrous like ten penalties handed out on tour over the past two decades shows they will never do so. Seems sad that we have a governing body not prepared to govern if the issue is too thorny

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Spot on.

In tennis you get so long to serve, and if you are too slow you get warned and can lose a point. Golf seems to have similar rules but they are hardly ever used. Pro golfers always seem to start their pre shot routine after their partner has played. They should be doing it whilst they wait where possible.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spot on.

In tennis you get so long to serve, and if you are too slow you get warned and can lose a point. Golf seems to have similar rules but they are hardly ever used. Pro golfers always seem to start their pre shot routine after their partner has played. They should be doing it whilst they wait where possible.

it might have something to do with tv. The TVs companies needing to get the camera man into position to give you the viewer the coverage, and that maybe Pro's want air time to give their sponsors advertising time. Who knows why they don't?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
it might have something to do with tv. The TVs companies needing to get the camera man into position to give you the viewer the coverage, and that maybe Pro's want air time to give their sponsors advertising time. Who knows why they don't?
I notice in the States when Keegan Bradley is playing, they only show him hit the ball. They cut out all his pre shot routine. Perhaps they think they will lose viewers if they have to watch his antics ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe I'm a bit luckier than some with our course then, I play in a Comp every weekend and like to tee off in the first 2-3 flights, depending on comp it takes anywhere from 3 - 3,1/2 hours as a 4 ball to get round.
I also know that teeing off after 9:30, the round can take 3 1/2 - 4 hours, slowed down by sheer numbers and in places the course. Certain days/times during the midweek, if flexible, are to be avoided due to vets or popular times, otherwise like you I sometimes believe people want to finish before they've started and see it almost as a race against the clock, no 2 rounds are the same and 10-15 minutes minimum either way should be considered when going out.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not good and certainly wouldn't want to be facing a 5hr round everytime I played.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe I'm a bit luckier than some with our course then, I play in a Comp every weekend and like to tee off in the first 2-3 flights, depending on comp it takes anywhere from 3 - 3,1/2 hours as a 4 ball to get round.
I also know that teeing off after 9:30, the round can take 3 1/2 - 4 hours, slowed down by sheer numbers and in places the course. Certain days/times during the midweek, if flexible, are to be avoided due to vets or popular times, otherwise like you I sometimes believe people want to finish before they've started and see it almost as a race against the clock, no 2 rounds are the same and 10-15 minutes minimum either way should be considered when going out.

10-15 minutes variation? Its more like 100-150 minutes variation at ours lol

As a 2 ball on an early evening we can be round in sub 3 hours, as a 4 ball on a monday/wednesday late morning were likely to be 5hrs+

Maybe you can see why its a much bigger issue to some of us