Stick to the rules!

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
The three most abused rules in golf are...

1) lateral water hazard

my playing partners always estimate the crossing point as further up the fairway. I purposely track the line of flight from the tee and have often made enemies because of this.

2) lifting ball to identify

I always fall out with these golfers. They insist they may perform this whenever they desire but its the frequency of this that irritates me. I require such an action twice a season and they do it whenever the ball is in the rough. very strange.

3) relief from unmovable obstruction

The rule clearly states the next position, not nearer to the target, through the green, and not the best position. If the next position is deep grass, that's where you have to drop if you want to take relief.

These are my pet hates and I hope the golfers who are guilty of them take note.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Most abused rule in my experience is 8.1.

With the words 'Take your time'!

Lifting ball to identify without following the rules - announce, mark, lift, identify, replace as it was - ranks high as most common form of cheating, Another is 'Improving the lie' - in the rough by padding the rough down.

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
Most abused rule in my experience is 8.1.

With the words 'Take your time'!

****, I have broken that rule many many times. Ha! Ha!

Lifting ball to identify without following the rules - announce, mark, lift, identify, replace as it was - ranks high as most common form of cheating, Another is 'Improving the lie' - in the rough by padding the rough down.

Don't you just hate these guys. And I'm just as bad for letting them get away with it. I do however follow them all over the course and this minimalises their cheating without having to call them cheats.

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
Ooh, I know, it's tricky.

I am always challenging drops short of water, people get very upset when you tell them the only line to drop on has a tree in the way. :(

Exactly, they seem to think that next position should really be best position.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of course if you know the rules it can work in your favour. We have a bunch of trees right of the fairway on the par 5 fifth. I carved it in there. All the trees were staked. Wasn't quite sure how to proceed but playing with the handicap secretary. The nearest point was back towards the fairway and therefore a playable lie.

I do think lateral hazards and identifying in the rough (lifting) are pretty common mistakes. The thing is to try and educate partners in a polite but firm manner. If you don't treat ignorance then it breeds.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The three most abused rules in golf are...

1) lateral water hazard

my playing partners always estimate the crossing point as further up the fairway. I purposely track the line of flight from the tee and have often made enemies because of this.

I assume the situation is that the ball is not found in the LWH. If it is found, then the point of entry can surely be established (unless it's a fast flowing stream).

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) lateral water hazard

At least they have an idea that the reference point is where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard. We have a couple of laterals that are nearly always dry and quite a few folks think the drop is taken opposite where the ball actually ends up.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you get time to concentrate on your own game Patrick?? Following people round and falling out with partners must take its toll on you :s

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
another one of the STUPID rules we should get rid of,as i have posted before it is all semantics,who would penalise someone for being friendly and encouraging someone who is having a bad round,if i was pulled for saying "take your time" to a fellow golfer who was struggling and having a poor game and started to rush their shots i would tell them to F-OFF put my clubs in the bag and walk off,is golf not a gentleman's game played with trust and hopefully a friendly manner.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Strange how no one has mentioned: Stating when a ball is in a hazzard.

The ball has to be clearly seen to enter the hazzard to get relief.
Many golfers will search for a ball 'around' a hazzard before declaring 'well it must have gone in, I'll drop here'.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Many golfers will search for a ball 'around' a hazzard before declaring 'well it must have gone in, I'll drop here'.

The rule says "virtually certain to" to be in the hazard. There are ditches round my course where you would be virtually certain the ball was in the hazard as you would be virtually certain to find it if it wasn't. I do agree though that too many people would still use this ruling if thei water hazard was abutted by long grass, reeds etc.

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site

Good point.

I wouold love to be in yer toon, playin fir bits and oozles, on barassie, lochgreen, portland, darley or even fullerton. They don't let you away with any of this stuff there.