Sterne drop on the 17th at Abu Dhabi

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Hi

Anyone watch Richard sterne get a free drop on the 17th today. Commentary suggested it was because he had opted to putt (from a couple of meters off the green) and would have had to putt over a sprinkler head. Is this a new rule or perhaps a local rule?

Was never aware of any relief for putting over a sprinkler head from off the green?
Mike

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was normally only used on links courses where putting from off the green was commonplace. On parkland courses the fringe tends to be lusher and chips are usually the favoured stroke.
Most comps I referee have a hardcard that include the LR. It often amuses me when a player takes relief and then proceeds to play a chip over a nonexistent problem

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would never be a local rule at my club, it's an imovable obstruction, chip or take a penalty drop. Silly rule.

I take it you are authorised to speak on behalf of your entire committee. In my opinion R&A/USGA do not offer "silly" model Local Rules.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another parkland course here where the club has decided not to implement it as a local rule. Always amusing watching a PP frantically consult the score card and work out what to do but a pain when you get to your ball and it's your turn. No point getting stressed in my my head and just deal with it as best you can

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It's not am immovable obstruction. If it was you'd get free relief under the rules. Unless otherwise defined in a Local Rule, sprinklers are an integral part of the course, and that's why relief isn't available on your course.
Really can you please tell me where in the rules it says they are an integral part of the course.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not am immovable obstruction. If it was you'd get free relief under the rules. Unless otherwise defined in a Local Rule, sprinklers are an integral part of the course, and that's why relief isn't available on your course.
??

It is an immovable obstruction. Just that you don't normally get relief from them just because they are on your line of play. Hence the local rule for when on the fringe or otherwise in a near green "puttable" location.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're right, what a load of crap! Only excuse is we only have one immovable obstruction on our course & it rarely come into play.
With respect, you can't know that.

Any number of dynamic elements may come to constitute an immovable obstruction from time to time, as well as any fixed or known situations that may, or may not, be ruled upon locally.

If they meet the definition of an immovable obstruction they become, defacto, an immovable obstruction on your course.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Any number of dynamic elements may come to constitute an immovable obstruction from time to time, as well as any fixed or known situations that may, or may not, be ruled upon locally.

If they meet the definition of an immovable obstruction they become, defacto, an immovable obstruction on your course.

What I do know is that I've played there for over 60 years &, apart from the sprinkler heads, I've never come across one.