Steps in bunker.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there, I wondered, a remote possibility that a ball could end up on the bottom step slightly overhanging its edge and therefore be in the bunker? A complication to be avoided, I further wondered, by making the last riser slope forward a little so that the edge of the step is sufficiently outside the edge of the bunker to ensure part a ball couldn't be inside it?

Finally I wondered if I was being absurd in even thinking like this and should go and do something useful around the house. :unsure:
A better (?) solution would be to have the step sloping back slightly. That would give the player relief outside the bunker.

But do you consider the bottom step to be 'touching the sand'? If so is the eco revetting also 'touching the sand'?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
A better (?) solution would be to have the step sloping back slightly. That would give the player relief outside the bunker.

I thought of that but decided I was being sufficiently absurd. Then I thought of a slightly raised lip on the bottom step but decided I would be amongst the first to trip on it and go face first into the sand, causing a long debate in this august forum as to whether I was testing the condition of the sand or just tasting it.

But do you consider the bottom step to be 'touching the sand'? If so is the eco revetting also 'touching the sand'?
As far as you can tell from the video, the steps are. The revetting certainly is but there's no way a ball is going to come to rest on it.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought of that but decided I was being sufficiently absurd. Then I thought of a slightly raised lip on the bottom step but decided I would be amongst the first to trip on it and go face first into the sand, causing a long debate in this august forum as to whether I was testing the condition of the sand or just tasting it.

As far as you can tell from the video, the steps are. The revetting certainly is but there's no way a ball is going to come to rest on it.
I think that the bottom step could be sloped into the bunker so that the ball would not stay on the step but roll into the bunker toward the centre.

D-S

Visit site
If the ball stops a foot or so from the bottom step in the bunker and your swing is impeded by the step, then you possibly do not have a nearest point of relief that is not nearer the hole. I assume in this case it is just play it as it lies or drop outside the bunker with a 1 shot penalty?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that the bottom step could be sloped into the bunker so that the ball would not stay on the step but roll into the bunker toward the centre.

If the ball stops a foot or so from the bottom step in the bunker and your swing is impeded by the step, then you possibly do not have a nearest point of relief that is not nearer the hole. I assume in this case it is just play it as it lies or drop outside the bunker with a 1 shot penalty?

Which is why it should be sloped away from the sand.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
side note on the revetted faces: when I first talked of our new bunkers on here back more than two years ago, the fact was raised that the Astro-turf revetted faces, being artificial, would be immovable obstructions from which free relief would be available (quite) - unless the faces were declared Integral Objects. At the time they weren’t - I went to the club with this observation, and they now are.