Started hitting a draw -> hook

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I played last Thursday & brother in law commented after a few holes I have started hitting a "nice draw" & how I did it? My answer was no idea.

However, on occasion, this draw became a hook (and a few times a pull hook).

Can anyone tell me why/how this happens bearing in mind that at set up I don't "feel" like I set up or swing any different?

Brother in law couldn't see any difference either when the hook etc came into play.

This is with all clubs Driver - SW.....& the hook/pull hook can appear at any point.

Cheers

Drew

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
I have recently done likewise.

For me it was the result of a slower swing allowing me the opportunity to get my wrists turned over through impact. It is a far more enjoyable shot than the fade it replaced. By fade, I mean slice...

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, my draw turns into a hook when I don't get my lower body turning early enough at the top of the swing. I have a tendency to get a bit armsy and not use the lower body at all. Swing plane gets really flat, and the lower body barely moves. Give this a watch:

[video=youtube;fNZoeLyuOzA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZoeLyuOzA[/video]

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Same for me, I've now got a smother hook off the tee that is very destructive. I am sure its due to not enough body rotation and overuse of the arms but cant seem to fix it.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
It really helped me. Obviously it may not be the same issue for you as it was for me, and it's impossible to say without seeing your swing, but if it's the same problem I've been having, then the video will definitely help!

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
cheers for the vid dan. I will have to look at home as youtube vids don't play through work connection.

Craigg, why would you say such a nasty thing?..... :0)

:D Sorry old bean.
I had a lovely draw once, turned to a hook, turned to a pull hook, turned to a J Arthur. The only thing that got rid of it was a couple of weeks off from golf. Call it a re-boot if you will. Nasty business lol.;) Can strike when you least expect it...........Ignore me , put it right out of your mind....especially when at address..:mad:....................NO. I SAID RIGHT OUT OF YOUR MIND....DON'T GIVE IT AN INCH OR IT'S IN!

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
:D Sorry old bean.
I had a lovely draw once, turned to a hook, turned to a pull hook, turned to a J Arthur. The only thing that got rid of it was a couple of weeks off from golf. Call it a re-boot if you will. Nasty business lol.;) Can strike when you least expect it...........Ignore me , put it right out of your mind....especially when at address..:mad:....................NO. I SAID RIGHT OUT OF YOUR MIND....DON'T GIVE IT AN INCH OR IT'S IN!

Agreed Im just recovering and its all about your body rotation ( or lack of) it took me 3 lessons to start getting it sorted after not playing for 12 months having had 4 miserable rounds - believe me you do not want a dose of the J Arthurs!