Start point for bag composition

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's this really, for me.

I just picked up the matching 5w to my 3w and hybrid before Christmas. Silly deal, brand new (4 year old club, still in shrink wrap!). It goes brilliantly, so far. I've been wondering for a while about switching out my wedges from 50/56/60º (PW is 45º) to just the 2 at 52º and 58º. And that would allow me to keep both 3&5w.

But then again, I'm also rubbish at golf! So whatever is in the bag, it doesn't really matter!

Quote from Tony Johnson , renowned short game, on the box recently " all players should dump the lob wedge"

Personally I carry a 52 low bounce and a 54 high bounce. The 54 gets switched to a 56 high bounce in very dry conditions in the bunkers when the sand is deep and fluffy.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Find with the lowest lofted iron you can hit. For me 4 iron about 205. Then find to the farthest fairway wood you can hit. 3 wood about 240. If your a strong long player check the long wood is not toi close to driver and adjust to suit.

Thats the top sorted.

Then find the shortest distance you would be willing to hit a full shot. For me thats about 105.

Those would be the reference points for me. Decisions can than be made on number of wedges to fill the gap from 105 to 0 with note paid to the variation of shots required. For me 3. 50 56 60. I use the clock system so those lofts mean ive got partial shots for all bases.

Then fill the gap between long iron and long wood, for me a strong hybrid 17 or 18.

Then see how many clubs are left and gap out the irons to suit?5 iron to pw gapping from 205 to 105.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Might just be me but I don't get blended sets at all.
I get the idea and, on paper, it's sound.
More forgiving 4,5,6 and 7 irons and more bladed 8 and up or maybe switch after the 6 iron.
Certainly for me, that's only going to work if the transition is seemless from Game Improver to Players/Blade style.
And nobody does it. Some are close but, to my eyes, the difference in overall look and feel is very apparent and off putting.
And sometimes the lofts are a mile out, requiring bending which messes with the bounce and offset

I must say I do agree. It seems just marketing and making players look/feel like a better player. I've had everything from GI to blades to my now cavity irons. Why would I want a more workable higher loft iron? I'm far more likely to need to manipulate shape and height in the longer clubs.

I do get hybrids tho, dropped my 3 iron for a hybrid in all but the windiest conditions.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Quote from Tony Johnson , renowned short game, on the box recently " all players should dump the lob wedge"

Personally I carry a 52 low bounce and a 54 high bounce. The 54 gets switched to a 56 high bounce in very dry conditions in the bunkers when the sand is deep and fluffy.

I find that I carry the 60º simply because it fits in numbers. unless the conditions are perfect for it, it's a wasted shot, sometimes 2! However, I am on the look out for a 64º (or more!) wedge for cheap on eBay just for a laugh. doubt it'll ever get used in anger, but it'll be fun on the range for 5/6 balls!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't want to take the thread off topic so I'll start a new one if folks prefer

Crow, How much of an issue is having a large gap at the lofty end of the bag. What is the shot/s that's not available?

I have a 10 degree gap from PW @ 45 to SW @ 55 and have been looking at getting a 50 for the gap but at £120 i'm struggling to suss out the return on that cost
(i.e cost versus how often I come across a shot that 45 degrees does not get the ball up & down fast enough and also where the 55 would not provide the required distance)

@harpo_72 let me know if you prefer i start a diff thread
No problem on this thread for me

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree with him. When I carried my lob wedge I lost more shots than I gained with it

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carry a 60, but the course is tight and it’s like concrete which means a 60 is not the club. So I use from the bunker or a lie with some grass. If I played a tour course in the states or Spain a 60 would be awesome...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do commentators come out with these completely idiotic trite little sayings like "dump the lob wedge"??? ?

It's a brilliant club, some golfers can't use one because they can't be arsed to get a decent lesson, but most competent players would 100% benefit from using one.
Maybe because it’s the easiest thing to say rather than describe and show it’s use

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why do commentators come out with these completely idiotic trite little sayings like "dump the lob wedge"??? ?

It's a brilliant club, some golfers can't use one because they can't be arsed to get a decent lesson, but most competent players would 100% benefit from using one.
And some of us have tried, and had tuition and find opening a 58 degree wedge is more reliable especially when the short game is a weakness. It is knowing your limits

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

I think it's not a bad idea. I've always loved mine. As a kid just hitting crazy flop shots over your mates with driver swing speeds. However most guys I know would improve their scoring by using a 52 everywhere around the green. It's just easier.

If you don't even know about bounces and grinds also, it becomes even trickier. A good player will know how to manipulate the club regardless of bounce. But if you give a normal player that doesn't understand bounce a high bounce wedge on a baked bare lie. No chance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Your opinion is irrelevant.
58 degrees is a lob wedge.

Typical elitist response from a man with previous.

It's a forum and a place for views. Please refer to the forum rules - I'll make it easy and post here

Posting in the Golf Monthly forum implies acceptance of the rules and guidelines as outlined below - post updated August 2020

General principles of the Golf Monthly forum
  • Be polite, respect peoples's opinions

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it's not a bad idea. I've always loved mine. As a kid just hitting crazy flop shots over your mates with driver swing speeds. However most guys I know would improve their scoring by using a 52 everywhere around the green. It's just easier.

If you don't even know about bounces and grinds also, it becomes even trickier. A good player will know how to manipulate the club regardless of bounce. But if you give a normal player that doesn't understand bounce a high bounce wedge on a baked bare lie. No chance.

Totally agree. I spend a lot of my practice on the short game (and had lessons with a LW) and quite frankly found I was better with a 58 degree wedge. Helps that I now have a choice of low, medium and high bounce to suit conditions. I can still hit the flop shot if the need arises but prefer to keep it simple, keep the technique as simple and try and work hard on improving around the green. It's a club I have tried and one I simply found costs more shots than it saves. If others can use it then fine but I see a lot of my PP's struggle with it around the greens when a PW pitch and run is an easier shot. Even out of sand with average (at best) technique they don't always play it well and can leave it in the sand or thin it.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
For any shot around the green that requires a bit of loft I'll generally use a sand wedge, but every now and then there will be a shot where only a lob wedge will do, chipping over a bunker to a tight pin on a green sloping away from you. If it comes off, great, if not then nothing lost.

The real reason for carrying a lob wedge though is because despite years of trying to develop the shot, I cannot hit the 50 to 80 yard low checking half shot with a SW or PW, so I compromise with a flat out lob wedge.