Standing up in the downswing

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At times I have a bad habit of standing up on the downswing, but strangely it doesn't seem to happen with Rescue.
I know the best advice would be to post a video, but I wonder if anyone would know what causes this. I believe it is a common issue with handicap golfers.
I have a one plane swing, similar to a baseball swing where I swing around my body, but bent over.
I thought this was caused by lifting my spine angle up on the downswing, but I actually thought today it might be caused by me straightening my right knee ( I'm right handed). Can anybody concur with this.
Someone else said its caused by straightening my backside, glutes and these should remain stuck out.
I know the usual answer is to see a pro and I am considering this.
Furthermore as we all know the body will also look for the easy way to do things and I stand up to take the strain out of my right side of the back.
So do others concur that this could be caused by straightening the right knee.
Thanks in advance.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got my set-up to the point where I'm almost stood up anyway, what I've got an issue with is going down slightly on the back swing and staying down which can cause me to scuff the shot, as to why you stand up on the down swing well I'd say it's probably to do with muscle contortion as you pull the club down and through...

What you need to do is relax, reduce the effort you put into the swing which in turn should create less tension thereby reducing the urge to stand up on the down swing, keep your head still and fixate your eyes on the back of the ball, nothing else just the back of the ball...:thup:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
could be a bunch of reasons to the 'early extension' (that's generally the norm term used for the issue) but often times referred to with the slang name 'goat humping'

could be grip, posture at set-up that first off plays into why it takes place

could be around issues with weight transference more to the point lack of it so weight predominantly stays on the trail side with too much of a tilt back of the upper body

could be down to casting at start off of transition, losing the angles between wrists, arms and shaft too early on in the downswing so the trail arm straightens up prematurely

could be how the takeback & backswing shape & plane going up to the top then feeds into the issue making transition occur a particular way so then what happens in the downswing means intuitively to get the clubhead to the ball at all there has to be a 'rise up' otherwise the clubhead would get dumped into the ground good ways behind the ball

usually happens as the brain works out subconsciously because of what happened in the swing before the only ways to get the face on the ball is to 'rise up'

so yep best answer would be seeing the Pro to be able to identify the real 'root cause/s'

could try the 'chair back' drill - would be a tad better if the chairback was a tad taller than the one is this particular vid so it rested little ways higher up on the butt but in essence you can get the gist of it

[video=youtube;lYzdqqpZzAY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYzdqqpZzAY[/video]

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had the same issue with straightening my right leg, especially with my driver. There are a few things that I practise constantly now - hinging wrists, low and slow take away, flex in the right leg - before I even hit a ball on the range or within my pre shot routine. Certainly helping.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Maintain your knee flex through your swing. Get setup with a little knee flex and work on keeping the same degree of flex through impact.