Stack and Tilt

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if anyone can help me but I am looking at trying out stack and tilt. I have been playing for about 8 months now and struggle with distance and consistency. My bad shot is a big slice (starts left of the target then ends up going 90 degrees). So I was wondering if stack and tilt would help and also where to find out information about it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure if anyone can help me but I am looking at trying out stack and tilt. I have been playing for about 8 months now and struggle with distance and consistency. My bad shot is a big slice (starts left of the target then ends up going 90 degrees). So I was wondering if stack and tilt would help and also where to find out information about it?

My advice would be to PM murphthemog or justoneuk and let them explain their theory to you without the thread getting hijacked. As you may have guessed S&T is a hot potato on here

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site

Is that a pic of you in your avatar? If so...

IMO your stood too far way, which could cause you to reach a bit on your downswing causing the slice. (Only my opinion though, I'm sure someone more techy could blow me out the water)

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is that a pic of you in your avatar? If so...

IMO your stood too far way, which could cause you to reach a bit on your downswing causing the slice. (Only my opinion though, I'm sure someone more techy could blow me out the water)

It is me in the pic but this was when I first started. I have had lessons since then so don't stand so far away or so hunch over now.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My bad shot is a big slice (starts left of the target then ends up going 90 degrees).

You have 2 problems here.
1. the ball starts left. The path of your swing causes this.
2. Ball turns right90 deg. club face points right at impact.

To stop this, you need to improve the direction of your swing and the clubface needs to be pointing in the same direction as your swing.

Go and see your local pro who will help you fix these 2 points.

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site

To stop this, you need to improve the direction of your swing and the clubface needs to be pointing in the same direction as your swing.

I have had a few lessons with a pro at my local driving range but didn't seem to help, been 6 times. I am in the process of moving so will need to find a new pro to have more lessons also are going to join a club so will get to play more which should also help.

I was just wondering if S&T would help me with the problems and if a complete change of swing would help.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have had a few lessons with a pro at my local driving range but didn't seem to help, been 6 times. I am in the process of moving so will need to find a new pro to have more lessons also are going to join a club so will get to play more which should also help.

I was just wondering if S&T would help me with the problems and if a complete change of swing would help.

Stack n Tilt came up in a conversation i was having with the Pro at my place,he never said anything at first but the look said it all like it was the anti christ :)then he gave me an insight into and explained it ,he said the SGU tried it in its teachings but i think some of the players binned it.Am not knocking it as have never tried it each to there own i suppose.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My bad shot is a big slice (starts left of the target then ends up going 90 degrees).

uh oh!....Is that the right way round Bob?

you'll find me in a darkened room making 'wibble' noises! :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Rubbish.

Rubbish again.

The clubface points right at impact and yet the ball starts left? Amazing physics you have there Bob.

It's crap like this that has held back players and lined the pockets of teaching pros for 40+ years.

Matt,
The ball flight laws tell us that the ball basically starts where the clubface is pointing at impact, so if the ball is starting a little left it's because the clubface at impact is pointing a little left of the target.

The curve on the ball is related to the swingpath. If you are REALLY cutting across the ball (out.to.in) then you'll get a lot of curve off to the right.

To try stack and tilt is to see the light... is that what you want?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The clubface points right at impact and yet the ball starts left? Amazing physics you have there Bob.

It's crap like this that has held back players and lined the pockets of teaching pros for 40+ years.

Bit harsh James!

Bob knows his stuff and from many previous posts I'm pretty sure it was a typo.....he's probably pished from celebrating the 2018 result! :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
To try stack and tilt is to see the light rough on the left due to massive duck hooks or clatter overhanging branches to your right due to being unable to hit anything other than a massive draw... is that what you want?

Corrected for you James
;) ;) ;)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

My advice would be to PM murphthemog or justoneuk and let them explain their theory to you without the thread getting hijacked. As you may have guessed S&T is a hot potato on here

In that case Homer i have just had tuna s&t for dinner :D :D