Stacey Lewis Donates prize money to Houston flood disaster

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Like others never been much of a fan but fair play to her for a) the offer to do so and then b) to raise her game to a level its not been at for 3 years and find the win!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Agreed. Maybe all that was missing from Stacey's game in the last two years or so was a purpose.

That said, I am a bit annoyed at all the relief effort (not just Stacey's, there are many other initatives by athletes and other people of public life) going to an area in the richest country of the world, where money for repairs and compensation could easily come out of public funds, while nobody is thinking about doing something similar for Mumbai and the other regions in India, Nepal and Bangladesh, which have been equally hard if not harder hit by the monsoon rains at the same time of the floods in Houston. In Stacey's case, I fully understand that. Her family is living in Houston, so it is clear that her heart is going there. Even other Americans I understand. But internationally, the same or even more media attention and relief efforts should go to Asia.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I personally think Stacey is an inspiration considering what she went through to get to where she is today. Very talented golfer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob, I suspect a lot of sportsmen give a lot of money to various charities and good causes but we simply don't hear about it. Every so often something slips out but these things are done quietly. Many footballers have foundations for example. We know about this donation because Stacey Lewis made it public, no criticism as it helps her home city.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, I suspect a lot of sportsmen give a lot of money to various charities and good causes but we simply don't hear about it. Every so often something slips out but these things are done quietly. Many footballers have foundations for example. We know about this donation because Stacey Lewis made it public, no criticism as it helps her home city.

I'm well aware of that.
Stacey Lewis donated a weeks 'wages'
Can you imagine if all the first team players in ''(insert favourite football team)'' did the same, what would that be worth, £2-3million? And if the top teams got together, can you imagine the difference they could make?

How many houses and cars do they need?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Juan Mata is trying to get players to guarantee donation of a proportion of their wages to charity, on top of anything else they may do. As I say they may already do a lot, we simply don't know.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As I say they may already do a lot, we simply don't know.

I know, but if they did announce it on twitter/facebook etc, it may encourage others to do the same.

Here are a few things we do know.......
6 of the top 10 richest football clubs on the planet are English
Man Utd is the richest football club on the planet.

Over the last 17 YEARS, Man Utd have helped raise £4m for Unicef
Man Utd spend £5m EVERY WEEK on wages.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair point. I'm feeling generous this morning and want to look on the better side of people, #naive :D

Two nice sides of football. There was a charity match for the Grenfell survivors at the weekend and one for the Bradley Lowery charity. More of the same wouldn't go amiss.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Fair point. I'm feeling generous this morning and want to look on the better side of people, #naive :D

Two nice sides of football. There was a charity match for the Grenfell survivors at the weekend and one for the Bradley Lowery charity. More of the same wouldn't go amiss.

I agree
But....
What most of these fundraisers do is raise money FROM THE FANS.

For example.............

Last year there was a Gala dinner at Man Utd where the fans and all the first team players gathered to raise money for Unicef Children in Thailand.

Between the fans and eleven of the highest paid footballers in the world they managed to raise a massive

£215,000