Stableford - Joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Someone battles away for 18 holes, scores 33 points, playing partner only manages to finish 17 holes, scores 35 points.

The game is about 18 holes from memory.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Cabby
Your continuous put down of the stableford format are becoming tiresome.
We know your views, you don’t have to keep reminding us .

Now do change the record , there’s a good chap.👍

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm opening a debate on how this format brings anything to the game.

How can someone who only finishes 17 holes, be better than someone who plays 18 holes, if you can't add to the debate, then step aside and allow others.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have had the debate plenty of times and you have ignored what people have posted so why bother having it again

You don’t like or agree on Stableford - excellent don’t play them then but the governing bodies will still use the format to work out your Handicap

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

How can someone who only finishes 17 holes, be better than someone who plays 18 holes, if you can't add to the debate, then step aside and allow others.

Ok I’ll take this one guys.

Some of of us started off 28 or even higher handicaps, we didn’t all start as a scratch golfer like yourself (I presume).

It is a format that allows people to feel to feel like they have a chance when they start out, i people joined their mates all of let’s say 18 and proceeded to finish 40 shots behind, would they have tried again? Doubtful. But if they finished say 10 points behind having had a few encouraging holes, they’d likely try again.

If you are so against stableford. Don’t play it. I’m not a fan of Love Island, so guess what. I don’t watch it.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site

We don’t need a mass debate on this subject, it’s a format of golf that many play week in week out.
We get it that it’s not your bag, but let others enjoy what they get from the game.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We have had the debate plenty of times and you have ignored what people have posted so why bother having it again

You don’t like or agree on Stableford - excellent don’t play them then but the governing bodies will still use the format to work out your Handicap

This is not about handicap, it's about the fact that a player only finishes 17 holes yet scores better than someone who finishes 18 holes, again, how can that be right, the game is played over 18 from memory, it's a bit like folk telling you your score after 9 holes...eh ? The game is over 18 not 9.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Some of of us started off 28 or even higher handicaps, we didn’t all start as a scratch golfer like yourself (I presume).

It is a format that allows people to feel to feel like they have a chance when they start out, i people joined their mates all of let’s say 18 and proceeded to finish 40 shots behind, would they have tried again? Doubtful. But if they finished say 10 points behind having had a few encouraging holes, they’d likely try again.

If you are so against stableford. Don’t play it. I’m not a fan of Love Island, so guess what. I don’t watch it.

Well I am. It's the only chance I get to see a 6 pack since mine upped and left me:whistle:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I get the, if you don't like it don't play it, fair enough but if that's the only comp on that day, guess you gotta suck it up.

The point of letting people feel they have a chance....isn't that why they have a handicap in the first place ?

Here's another question, which I'm sure i've asked before, why is it such a popular format in England yet rarely used by clubs in Scotland ?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's clearly not for you OP......but given I play in a roll up of around 16 players and have done for years....don't their views (and many others I dare suspect) matter? They all love the format and enjoy playing golf within it.

It is beyond me that anyone can say something doesn't matter, isn't important etc etc because it isn't to them. The world is bigger than one person's view/opinion on anything. If others enjoy, and clearly thousands if not hundreds of thousands, enjoy this format of golf then it's more than worth it. What it brings is enjoyment for them. Enjoyment alone is enough of a reason for thousands

You won't agree, however just because you don't doesn't make your opinion any more or any less important than mine. Your not right, nor wrong, neither am I. It's something a lot of people struggle with

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
This is not about handicap, it's about the fact that a player only finishes 17 holes yet scores better than someone who finishes 18 holes, again, how can that be right, the game is played over 18 from memory, it's a bit like folk telling you your score after 9 holes...eh ? The game is over 18 not 9.

I like stableford because you can have a blow out and still compete.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's clearly not for you OP......but given I play in a roll up of around 16 players and have done for years....don't their views (and many others I dare suspect) matter? They all love the format and enjoy playing golf within it.

It is beyond me that anyone can say something doesn't matter, isn't important etc etc because it isn't to them. The world is bigger than one person's view/opinion on anything. If others enjoy, and clearly thousands if not hundreds of thousands, enjoy this format of golf then it's more than worth it. What it brings is enjoyment for them. Enjoyment alone is enough of a reason for thousands

You won't agree, however just because you don't doesn't make your opinion any more or any less important than mine. Your not right, nor wrong, neither am I. It's something a lot of people struggle with

I'm asking the question, golf in strokeplay/medal call it what you want, is over 18 holes which I think we all agree on, so how can it be that a player who only finishes 17 be placed above someone who played 18.

Jean Van de Velde would be an Open Champion if the game was over 17 holes.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I get the, if you don't like it don't play it, fair enough but if that's the only comp on that day, guess you gotta suck it up.

The point of letting people feel they have a chance....isn't that why they have a handicap in the first place ?

Here's another question, which I'm sure i've asked before, why is it such a popular format in England yet rarely used by clubs in Scotland ?

Players don’t get a handicap as soon as they roll up to a course for the first time. I’d imagine there are quite a few players who only play sociably. That’s where stableford is ideal.

As to the the difference between Scotland and England, no idea. But I know I’d not be playing if I’d only ever been introduced to medal scoring.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm asking the question, golf in strokeplay/medal call it what you want, is over 18 holes which I think we all agree on, so how can it be that a player who only finishes 17 be placed above someone who played 18.

Jean Van de Velde would be an Open Champion if the game was over 17 holes.

Luckily for Paul Lawrie the Open is strokeplay / medal 😁. Stableford was specifically designed by nice Mr Stableford for us amateurs who didn't want such a tough format. I'm sure your club has plenty of strokeplay comps, Stableford is a nice relief for mid to higher handicappers.

D

Deleted member 15344

Stableford is just a different scoring format - it’s still played over 18 , it’s still golf , you still play tbe same shots , it can be a more agressive way of playing , it can be more enjoyable way of playing , it’s also a quicker way of playing and a less stressful way of playing

We play the game as a hobby , for fun and for enjoyment , we aren’t all playing it as a serious sport

Matchplay can also be played not playing all 18 holes

But you aren’t going to get any different answers from the last time you posted this thread

Are you the Scottish relative of Delc ? What do you think about bigger holes

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The search function can be your friend if you're struggling to recall all the recent mass threads on the same topic
:thup:

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Luckily for Paul Lawrie the Open is strokeplay / medal 😁. Stableford was specifically designed by nice Mr Stableford for us amateurs who didn't want such a tough format. I'm sure your club has plenty of strokeplay comps, Stableford is a nice relief for mid to higher handicappers.

Doctor Stableford actually :)

Status
Not open for further replies.