St Pierre Golf Club

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I remember going to the bar, I'm sure it was only 2 lagers, 2 bitters, 1 coke and one of those horrible angus bitter things, only got a few bit of change from £30, so averaged just under £5 a drink :eek:

GMAC88

Head Pro
Visit site
We played there en route to Celtic Manor last year. Was just before the trilby tour finals in sure. Course was in great condition and certainly a test of golf. The rough was brutal!!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I had a society weekend there about 25 years ago and played the Old twice and Mathern once. Seem to remember the holes around the lake were ok but believe they have improved the course since.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Old off the backs is a serious test, massive difference than off the 'society' yellows. The Mathern has improved a lot and they have spent a few quid on that over the years we have been going, but certainly not comparable to the old.

The hotel bar is pretty pricey, but a nice spot overlooking the famous 18th green.

It has held some serious tournaments over the years, certainly a track to tick off as one to play imo.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh and I have played the first perhaps 30 plus times and never scored more than 2 points :eek:

Almost 600 yard par 5, which looks straight but due to some clever tree placements you actually have to weave your way down the fairway. Nice easy start to the round!

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the societies I play in plays it every year.

We played the Old course about 18 months ago when the Nato summit was taking place at Celtic Manor. Some seriously big-wig guests were staying at the hotel. There were military helicopters circling overhead, dozens of heavily armed police all round the course and a few manned sniper towers too. With my standard of golf I'm not fond of spectators at the best of times. Fair play to the hotel and police tho - despite the obvious security we had very little disruption to an enjoyable day.

Apart from the bar prices, I do like it down there.