St Andrews Callaway Custom Fit

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
I think I've read it on here before but I may be wrong.....is there a charge for a full bag Callaway fitting at St. Andrews if booked through a club pro? There's a price list on the website but doesn't seem to mention that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think I've read it on here before but I may be wrong.....is there a charge for a full bag Callaway fitting at St. Andrews if booked through a club pro? There's a price list on the website but doesn't seem to mention that.
i think there is my mate went a couple of years ago and they knocked the price of the fitting off when you bought the clubs

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
i think there is my mate went a couple of years ago and they knocked the price of the fitting off when you bought the clubs

Not sure to be honest....they don't actually sell the clubs there, just give you the spec to take to a retailer (but maybe they have an agreement to knock price off)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure to be honest....they don't actually sell the clubs there, just give you the spec to take to a retailer (but maybe they have an agreement to knock price off)
yes, you will have to pay for the fitting i believe and they send you spec to the Pro shop that booked it and the manufacture knocks off the fitting charge i think.

TheDork

Visit site
Heard a few stories of them trying to punt a particular type of iron on folk, in fact heard it on 3 separate occasions so would be interesting to hear how you get on. Do you have a specific model in mind ?

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Heard a few stories of them trying to punt a particular type of iron on folk, in fact heard it on 3 separate occasions so would be interesting to hear how you get on. Do you have a specific model in mind ?

I'm not set on any particular model, or brand even, though having read some positive feedback on here previously regarding the Callaway fitting at St. Andrews, I assumed it would be worthwhile. I'm in Aberdeen so isn't too far to go even if I don't end up buying. I just fancy having an in depth fitting early next year and figured this was a good option.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've been there and done it just under three years ago. At the time, there was no charge but my Pro organised it. I tried a few different heads and about 7 shafts and in the ned fiinished up with Callaway XR's, 2 deg flat with Reflex Graphite shafts. A combination I never would have considered or bought off-the-shelf.
I enjoyed the experience and never felt pressured into buying any particular iron or shaft. The decision was made from the shots I hit, how comfortable I was with each combination and the distance and dispersion I achieved. To be honest, even before I saw the results I already knew the answer as the combination above just felt head and shoulders above anything else I tried on the day.

TheDork

Visit site
I've been there and done it just under three years ago. At the time, there was no charge but my Pro organised it. I tried a few different heads and about 7 shafts and in the ned fiinished up with Callaway XR's, 2 deg flat with Reflex Graphite shafts. A combination I never would have considered or bought off-the-shelf.

Interestingly enough, it was the XR's that I had heard was being pushed upon those who went for a fitting when after a different model.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would a callaway fitter push a particular set of callaway clubs other than because they’re the best fit?

Bigger commission on particular lines?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interestingly enough, it was the XR's that I had heard was being pushed upon those who went for a fitting when after a different model.

Lol maybe the XR’s WERE the most suited to those particular players but ego got in their way and they wanted players irons

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

That is not true.

The fitters (first class in my experience) do not work for Callaway. They get a fee for fitting and do not get any extra for sales.

I did not pay as my pro shop organised it.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fair enough.

What is the arrangement? Why are they tied solely to callaway if they are independent of callaway?

Or have I misunderstood something?

I'd think Callaway pay them for fittings. I have no idea if the pro pays Callaway or if there is just some agreement between all three parties.

The fitters are employees of St. Andrews Links I think.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Travel a bit further. Go and see Scott Gourlay in Edinburgh, probably the best in the business and then you are not just stuck with a particular brand too.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Travel a bit further. Go and see Scott Gourlay in Edinburgh, probably the best in the business and then you are not just stuck with a particular brand too.

Was actually thinking about doing this. Had a chat with Callaway in St Andrews and they want £100 for a full 90 minute fitting. Yes I can get it for free, but then I'll be tied to one retailer or pro shop which I don't necessarily want to be. I'll take a look at Scott Gourlay's website.