"Ssshedule" or "Skedule"?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My Spanish mate tells me that valderrama should rhyme with 'hammer', not 'armour'. The double r is more like bringing up phlegm.... Don't think mark roe gets very near on this.

And yarmolenko (for West ham fans) sounds a lot more like Monaco at the end than British commentators would have you believe.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I'm not a commentator but I am guilty, or actually not guilty. Marsters as you would pronounce is the posh way. I didn't realise there were posh people from Shields :LOL:
Nobody would ever call me posh! Everyone I know pronounces it properly. The "massters" pronunciation started with Gary Lineker when he commentator on the U. S. Marsters & other, normally Queen's English, commentators have followed suit. It's an Anericanism. You've spent too much time in the U. S. of A, Lord T

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We'll all be speaking American soon, thanks to all the American tv programs on the telly.
We're half way there now (not in my house though)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nobody would ever call me posh! Everyone I know pronounces it properly. The "massters" pronunciation started with Gary Lineker when he commentator on the U. S. Marsters & other, normally Queen's English, commentators have followed suit. It's an Anericanism. You've spent too much time in the U. S. of A, Lord T
Ha ha. I would never think of it as an Americanism. Bath or Barth? Masters or Marsters? It is the same to me. You need some more northern in you, you've gone soft :LOL:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There's a lot of these around though, especially with place names:
Barth or Bath?
Shrewsbury or Shrewsbury?
And how many people pronounce the D in Wednesday?
I'm a SH in Shrewsbury by the way.

mikevet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mischievous is not pronounced 'mischeevious'.

Even the BBC are now following the American mispronunciation of French words and names, with the emphasis on the wrong syllable - eg café, Macron, debris - I think the French know better ...