SSS change at home course - will it affect handicaps much if at all?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We were told today that our medal tee SSS has been re-done by the SGU and has increased from 72 to 73. Knee-jerk reaction is - "hey that's great, better chance of getting a cut from the same score". But on reflection, since it is CSS against which you are cut I think it just means that on a day when CSS would have increased to 73 in the past it will not increase now so there will be little or no difference to handicaps.

I can see it makes a difference on (rare) good weather days when CSS can only go down to 72 instead of 71 as could happen previously. So you might get cut an extra increment then for the same gross score.

On the other hand on bad weather days the buffer can now go one stroke extra upwards before a non-counter is declared (say 75 instead of 74 for a cat 2 player ). So you are perhaps more likely to accumulate 0.1's for the same gross score.

It is not clear to me whether overall this will lead to a likely reduction or a likely increase in handicaps for all of us who play most of our qualifiers at home.

Anyone any experience of such a change and what actually happened on the ground?

D

Deleted member 15344

Our course SSS was at 69 for a few years so whenever the CSS was calculated they used 69 as the base level - so most of our comps CSS was 69 with the odd day going to 70

When it changed to 70 now the CSS is mainly 70 with the odd time going to 71 and very rarely going to 69

Now your SSS has gone from 72 to 73 then I would expect that most of your comps will have a CSS of 73 - which if your par is 71 means people's buffers change by one and people will get cut for playing one worse than HC etc but now the comps can increase to 74 CSS obviously if the scores show that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We were told today that our medal tee SSS has been re-done by the SGU and has increased from 72 to 73. Knee-jerk reaction is - "hey that's great, better chance of getting a cut from the same score". But on reflection, since it is CSS against which you are cut I think it just means that on a day when CSS would have increased to 73 in the past it will not increase now so there will be little or no difference to handicaps.

I can see it makes a difference on (rare) good weather days when CSS can only go down to 72 instead of 71 as could happen previously. So you might get cut an extra increment then for the same gross score.

On the other hand on bad weather days the buffer can now go one stroke extra upwards before a non-counter is declared (say 75 instead of 74 for a cat 2 player ). So you are perhaps more likely to accumulate 0.1's for the same gross score.

It is not clear to me whether overall this will lead to a likely reduction or a likely increase in handicaps for all of us who play most of our qualifiers at home.

Anyone any experience of such a change and what actually happened on the ground?

i think when they did ours about 6 years ago the CSS was pretty much 1 over the the SSS every week anyway, prob the reason it was changed.
just means you have more of a buffer now

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks - That's what I thought. Looking over the last two years CSS has averaged almost 73 and as the buffer moves with CSS not SSS I guess it will not make any differences to handicaps for us locals.

Back to the putting green then .... :)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It won't make an immediate difference but it may well help people over the course of a few seasons.
New members may get a lower handicap compared with before. Supplementary scores will also offer an opportunity for people to get there handicap down.

Quite unusual to go up like this these days. Have changes been made to the course? Did the club ask for it to re-rated? I do agree that NB is a challenging course and merits an SSS above par.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
hi,

Good point about Supplementary and initial handicap scores Ken I hadn't thought about that.

They have lengthened the course a bit over the past 5 seasons building new tees on 1,3,6,8 & 12 but the total length added is only a couple of hundred yards at most. We max out at just over 6500 so not a big course by today'' standards.

To be honest I thought par 71 SSS 72 was about right but who am I to judge.

The way the news was written it sounded like a re-rating was due as it hadn't been done for a while.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
hi,

Good point about Supplementary and initial handicap scores Ken I hadn't thought about that.

They have lengthened the course a bit over the past 5 seasons building new tees on 1,3,6,8 & 12 but the total length added is only a couple of hundred yards at most. We max out at just over 6500 so not a big course by today'' standards.

To be honest I thought par 71 SSS 72 was about right but who am I to judge.

The way the news was written it sounded like a re-rating was due as it hadn't been done for a while.

before ours was done there was a lot more gorse and some of the tee shots tighter, then when they re-rated after the changes the SSS was higher...?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It won't make an immediate difference but it may well help people over the course of a few seasons.
New members may get a lower handicap compared with before. Supplementary scores will also offer an opportunity for people to get there handicap down.

Quite unusual to go up like this these days. Have changes been made to the course? Did the club ask for it to re-rated? I do agree that NB is a challenging course and merits an SSS above par.

Beat me to it, initial handicaps maybe more a reflection of ability against the course.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Arithmetically you should see a very small reduction in average handicaps (well under a full shot!) - but in practice it won't be discernable as it will be masked by ageing, improves, new entrants, leavers etc etc

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
In theory existing members will now find it slightly easier to make buffer or play to their handicap.

SSS going up one moves the goal posts from which CSS is based and therefore makes it a fairer golf course to score on than before - i think.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Arithmetically you should see a very small reduction in average handicaps (well under a full shot!) - but in practice it won't be discernable as it will be masked by ageing, improves, new entrants, leavers etc etc

Thanks Duncan, as you say seems is won't make much difference to the handicap distribution.

I also realised that it means gents will get an extra adjustment stroke compared to the ladies in stableford competitions as the ladies tees at our place have SSS=par - I'll leave the seccy to pass that news on to them :)