Sports Direct waterproof bags

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

I was browsing in my local store yesterday and saw that they have waterproof stand bags by both Dunlop and Slazenger for £59. I know there are some brand snobs on here :whistle: but if you are not bothered about the make then they looked pretty decent to me. Save yourself a few pennies :thup:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Well good luck with that, all of Fat Ashley's own branded gear is crap.
First bit of moisture and it'll fail

Mmmm so all Dunlop stuff is rubbish? - I wear Dunlop golf winter trousers regularly as I'm outside photographing football in bad weather a lot - they cost me a tenner a pair and they are excellent for bad conditions, they don't sell them as waterproof but they are certainly showerproof - not at all stylish but they do the job of keeping me warm and dry to the extent that I don't even bother taking proper waterproofs with me any more.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No knowledge of the bags in question but I would have thought that a large percentage of bags are made in exactly the same place with the same materials and what you are paying for is the branding. Happy to be proven wrong but I am sure that a couple of times different brands have released basically the same bag but with a different name and colour scheme.

Certainly would not surprise me if the cost in sports direct was a reasonable cost for an unbranded, waterproof bag and you are paying much of the extra for the pleasure of having a sports brand on the side.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Well good luck with that, all of Fat Ashley's own branded gear is crap.
First bit of moisture and it'll fail

Oh OK, any specific items you've had issues with so I know to avoid them?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
No knowledge of the bags in question but I would have thought that a large percentage of bags are made in exactly the same place with the same materials and what you are paying for is the branding. Happy to be proven wrong but I am sure that a couple of times different brands have released basically the same bag but with a different name and colour scheme.

Certainly would not surprise me if the cost in sports direct was a reasonable cost for an unbranded, waterproof bag and you are paying much of the extra for the pleasure of having a sports brand on the side.

Titleist Sta-Dry and Sun mountain are made by the same people.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am sure they will do the job for a while at least but I also agree the quality is not the same as with better brands. You pay for what you get, would I have one ?

Not a chance

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
In interest of balance, I have a pair of Nike winter trousers (I have quite a bit of Nike stiff) and a pair of Slazenger winter trousers. I rate the Nike ones, but if the forecast is particularly grim then I reach for the Slazenger ones. Just based on my experience.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mmmm so all Dunlop stuff is rubbish? - I wear Dunlop golf winter trousers regularly as I'm outside photographing football in bad weather a lot - they cost me a tenner a pair and they are excellent for bad conditions, they don't sell them as waterproof but they are certainly showerproof - not at all stylish but they do the job of keeping me warm and dry to the extent that I don't even bother taking proper waterproofs with me any more.

Sorry mate but this post makes no sense at all.

You wear Dunlop in bad weather a lot, they are showerproof not waterproof but they keep you dry[how?].
You are confident enough they will keep you dry to the extent you dont take your waterproofs[basically saying they are waterproof] and if they are not then surely you would take your waterproofs.
Anyway Sports direct is a massive jumble sale and when you get to the till they try and sell you a bag for £1.50.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not a massive fan of sports direct but I do also think that there is an element of 'emperors new clothes' about a lot of golf accessories. By adding the word 'golf' or putting a label on it, then that immediately doubles the price.

wisey10

Visit site
Not quite as cheap as £60 but I recently bought a BigMax dri lite cart bag for £100 from clubhouse. £160 everywhere else. It's classed as water resistant rather than waterproof but seems to be nice quality. I wasn't prepared to spend £200 on a waterproof bag.

Just thought it could be another option for those on the lookout for a good value waterproof * bag.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Sorry mate but this post makes no sense at all.

You wear Dunlop in bad weather a lot, they are showerproof not waterproof but they keep you dry[how?].
You are confident enough they will keep you dry to the extent you dont take your waterproofs[basically saying they are waterproof] and if they are not then surely you would take your waterproofs.
Anyway Sports direct is a massive jumble sale and when you get to the till they try and sell you a bag for £1.50.

Yep - my waterproofs haven't left the house in the last couple of years and I've sat and photographed matches in heavy rain and snow a good few times times since then - in prolonged torrential rain they will eventually get to the stage where dampness begins to get through (i'm talking about over an hour of really heavy rain), a heavy shower lasting quarter an hour or so is no problem - btw they are Slazenger rather than Dunlop - got reminded of that by IainP above.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought a dunlop stand bag for £20 in one of their offers a couple of years ago. Used it until i upgraded to a bigger bag and passed it onto my lad, although he's only an occasional player its still going strong now

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep - my waterproofs haven't left the house in the last couple of years and I've sat and photographed matches in heavy rain and snow a good few times times since then - in prolonged torrential rain they will eventually get to the stage where dampness begins to get through (i'm talking about over an hour of really heavy rain), a heavy shower lasting quarter an hour or so is no problem - btw they are Slazenger rather than Dunlop - got reminded of that by IainP above.

I bought the Slazenger lined winter trousers on the strength of your original post.
Glad to report they're excellent value and kept me dry and warm last winter.
Though I did get the legs altered ( taken in )

davidy233

Tour Rookie
I bought the Slazenger lined winter trousers on the strength of your original post.
Glad to report they're excellent value and kept me dry and warm last winter.
Though I did get the legs altered ( taken in )

I did say they lacked style :eek: - however they do the job - in my experience that's pretty much the case with most Dunlop/Slazenger clothing

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Oh OK, any specific items you've had issues with so I know to avoid them?

For starters Karimore, first pair of waterproof boots split the first time I wore them. Exchanged them and second pair leaked !
Dunlop tennis balls were cheap and nasty, didn't bounce very well and soon fell apart.
Slazenger t-shirts lost shape.

That's been my experience....

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I don't know if they are any good, can only find one review of them online, but the Masters Icart Aquapel Xtreme 2 waterproof seems good value for money at £119 give or take. The design looks to be pretty much the same as many of the other waterproof bags going for almost twice as much.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2632628605...=1007159&device=c&campaignid=797602469&crdt=0

Anyone got one of these?

i bought one of these a few weeks ago and so far so good - had a round in the rain and it held up fine.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I don't know if they are any good, can only find one review of them online, but the Masters Icart Aquapel Xtreme 2 waterproof seems good value for money at £119 give or take. The design looks to be pretty much the same as many of the other waterproof bags going for almost twice as much.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2632628605...=1007159&device=c&campaignid=797602469&crdt=0

Anyone got one of these?

Just had a chat with one of the golf shops selling these, gist of it was that it is "an OK bag" but not sure on longevity. The build quality is not as good as other waterproof bags and is reflected in the cost. I asked what they would buy if they were buying a waterproof bag fro themselves, answer was a Titleist Stadry or the new Mizuno BR-Dri, they said that H2NO used to be the king of waterproof bags, but they've dropped off a bit of late.

Sorry Dando, didn't see your post before I posted again.