Spikes v. Soft Spikes?

links golf scotland

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
I am getting a bit fed up of every golf shoe on the market coming with soft spikes.

They are fine when it's dry, especially on hard links courses, but they don't have the grip of spikes, and on wet courses you might as well play in trainers.

Also takes forever to try to clean the muck out of them before a shot compared to normal spikes.

I realise many courses in the USA now enforce soft spikes only, but given the choice how many of you would actually use them?

Mr_Top_Shot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have only used metal spikes once before and found them good. It was quite wet. They do however tear up greens if people are not careful with them. Soft spikes are much more course friendly but the cleats clog a hell of a lot and the do not offer a great amount of grip in wet courses.

I only ever wear soft spikes now to save the hastle of changing and risk of course damage.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never listen to those disclaimers mate, they have to have them on everything, they have them on bags of nuts warning that it contains nuts, on fish fingers warning of containing fish etc.

I wear soft spikes and have never gone ass over tit (yet)

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually play at a club that advises people to wear spikes in the winter rather than soft spikes. A wet slope coming off of a green is deadly - I have seen a few people go over....one broken leg....

I think they were only designed so the fatty yanks didn't have to change their shoes - you'd think they were the only shoes they have when you see them out in the restaurant in their FJ's in the evening!!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I have never had a problem with soft spikes on wet courses, I really don't understand people saying they slip in them, I have played well over 20 rounds this winter/autumn and not slipped once in soft spikes.

When you also take into account the damage hard spikes do to courses I would like all courses to ban them as well as electic trolleys for people who do not need them, they just wreck the fairways imo.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Soft Spikes all day,particularly the spider type. I think they gaive more grip than metal,but will concede they are a bugger to keep clear.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blimey....I though the old metal spikes would get the thumbs up...I voted for them!
I have cleats on the footjoys and 1) they are bugger to clean and 2) they are not that good on slippy winter hills....I slipped nastily on Saturday walking down a 33% gradient (par 3), this would never have happened in metal spikes.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Soft spikes? I like them and always wear them now. I think they are every bit as good as the old metal spikes, but they do need cleaning more frequently. I don't agree that they are more friendly to the putting surface though, in fact they can cause more damage than spikes do.

Brooksy

Hacker
Visit site
Soft spikes.Played many a time in wet and been o.k(playing friday in rain so first time for anything). Usually come straight home when mud still wet around spikes,quick scrub with brush clean with hose pipe and bingo ready for another round. ;)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
have only ever owned soft spikes and have never ever had a problem. Have seen a few oldies damage greens though dragging there feet with metal spikes.

Have never noticed any damage to a green produced by soft spikes. Only problem is, they can snap easily off winter mats!

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
While I always advocate soft spikes for dry summer and solid spikes for winter, at the moment I am on soft just for the driving range. Last week went for a walk on the course to see what it was like and went a over t due to the soft spikes not holding in the wet and muddy.
at the present an waiting for the course to dry out and will then change over to solid spikes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say I use metal spikes in the winter and change to soft spikes in the spring (usually about now but I'll have to wait thanks to the great British weather).

When I learnt my golf back in the 80's you could only really get spiked shoes (apart from a few manufacturers who made a sort of pimply all over sole) and so have always been diligent about picking my feet up on tees and greens.

I have to say I have tried soft spikes, particularly the black widow and stinger brands, in the wet and to be honest I find a noticeable difference between them and metals. I just feel more solid and grounded in metal spikes in wet conditions. Metals also have the benefit on frosty days of not getting clogged with ice as you walk adding several inches to your height as you go!!

Conversely I find the spike more comfortable to use when the ground is harder in the Summer. I find if I use spikes I can feel them diggin in as I walk and they seem to make my feet ache more.

McCojac

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've now used soft spikes for the last 8 years,my previous course in N. Ireland didn't allow Spikes and I've played in all conditions in Soft spikes I wouldn't go back to metal spikes now so much more comfortable and I've not noticed any loss of stability.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We are only allowed soft spikes and i have not heard one word of commplaint from any member. I never encountered a problem with soft spikes and i played every week during the winter.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Are we now getting to the stage where metal spikes are as acceptable as drink driving and smoking in public? I do wonder as I hardly see anyone with them now. However I certainly should have changed over to metals for the wet winter as the soft spikes really do clog up with mud, grass and ice. Went base over apex on the winter matts the other week because of the build up on the soft spikes. I just think that I would feel like criminal if I used the metal spikes.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Are most of the metal spike wearers taking to the course half-cut?

I used to subscribe to the belief that you had better wear metals in winter, but after my winter shoes split last December, I thought I'd play in my softs.

What do you know? No loss of grip at all and a lot more comfortable for it. And then the fun of seeing all those little ice discs your shoes leave behind on the green that look quite pretty.

I find a quick tap with the back of an iron clears the bulk off the spikes, they're quick enough to clean at the end and I don't have the perpetual fear of stumbling in metals as soon as I hit the concrete bits.

I can't help thinking that it's either people hanging on to old ideas (the persimmon brigade took some convincing) or most of you really are turning up on the first 3 parts to the wind!