spikes or no spikes?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have both although I wear spikeless most of the time it will change depending on weather/ground conditions etc (& also if I want to be colour coordinated) :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

As you are based in Glasgow, I wouldn't even consider spikeless shoes. Proper waterproof spiked shoes are the way to go :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Although spikes (even soft spikes) are a nightmare when its frosty. I'd rather go spikeless on those days

Good point.

Let's think about this....... Glasgow: 50 frosty days per annum versus 315 wet days per annum

:eek: :D

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good point.

Let's think about this....... Glasgow: 50 frosty days per annum versus 315 wet days per annum

:eek: :D

Sorted :D

ice-spikes-boots-shoes-17692684.jpg

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would go with Spikes. I do like Spikeless shoes and have a couple of pairs but am not convinced about them long term. As I wear them all day pretty much when playing golf the soles are showing signs of wear and, of course, once they wear down they are gone for good. Certainly if I was buying an expensive pair of shoes I would go with spikes simply because they should last longer.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Definitely spikes, especially as we are soon to lose the summer. I recommend Footjoy Hydrolites, the best shoe I have ever bought, and good value.

Scott W

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I prefer to have at least 2 pairs of shoes. Currently have Adidas Tour 360's for Winter/Wet and a pair of Adicross Gripmore for summer/dry conditions

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I tend to wear softspikes in the summer and then metal/plastic hybrid spikes in the winter like the Champ Pro Stinger.
I live in Glasgow. Our course is quite hilly and I've seen people slip on softspikes in the winter. Also a friend of mine lost his footing on a gravel path on the course in his Footjoy spikeless shoes and ripped his trousers top to bottom and grazed himself.
I would have no faith in dimpled soles on a wet hilly course. And when it's frosty, my Pro Stingers work fine. Maybe it's my bulk pressing them more into the ground! :eek:

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Go for spikes initially, especially if your Glasgow bound. Then save up and treat yourself to spikeless at start of next year as you'll get a bargain when next seasons styles come out.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck. I think we'll need its as looks like its going to be a long old winter up here in Glesga. Hope springs eternal for an Indian Summer

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whist there are poor soft spikes out there, the majority are excellent and will grip the ground's surface layer. How this layer is bonded to the ground below is another matter and it's possible to slide down a bank firmly attached to the grass- but the grass isn't attached to the (typically) clay beneath!
In the same way there are excellent and terrible spikeless soles out there. Ecco's will grip fantastically in both wet and dry conditions (if there's something to grip to) but, as an example, one pair of Stuburt shoes I have will slip if it's even slightly damp ie they have little mechanical grip and rely on friction. To the casual eye both look the same! All my FJ shoes have versions of soft spikes so I can't comment on their spikeless capabilities.
Despite having a lot of golf shoes I currently use the FJ hyperflex exclusively as they are so stable, light and waterproof. However there are a huge number of excellent shoes out there right now and it's really worth going to a large store and trying them to find something that works for you.

chrisg

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I prefer to have at least 2 pairs of shoes. Currently have Adidas Tour 360's for Winter/Wet and a pair of Adicross Gripmore for summer/dry conditions

Similar here, but I played at the weekend in my gripmores when it turned to torrential rain.... they were steady as a rock, after that i'd play them in any wet conditions

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I wore spikeless golf shoes yesterday for nine holes after a spell of torrential rain. Walking down a muddy slope I slipped and went base over apex, so soft spikes or metal spikes would have been better in the circumstances. However spikeless shoes are great in dry conditions and can be worn off the course. :)

Last edited: