Speed Of Play & Raking Bunkers.

D

Deleted member 23270

Surely just a” you or is it me would have solved that”
Did you have a ref ?
When the guy is stood behind my back and facing me as he is about to play at the same time as me, why should I have to ask?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the guy is stood behind my back and facing me as he is about to play at the same time as me, why should I have to ask?
Yes I see your point but
If he’s concentrating on his PSR he might not notice you or anyone else for that matter.
If he was closer to the hole he is at fault imo.
If two of us are equal yds I always ask, this has happened to me in the scratch league ,that’s why I ask now.
I agree though it’s very off putting and a downside of ready golf.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
how long are people taking to rake a bunker?

It should easily be done while someone it lining up their putt, note once someone is over the ball, I would stop.

Some of the comment here seem to be working on the assumption it takes several minutes to rake a bunker

sjw

Visit site
And here lies the problem with golfers. This courtesy that people "damand". All this babble just drags things on. Maybe it's just me but raking a bunker directly in my eye sight isn't even an issue. It wouldn't even be on my radar. Maybe golfers should build on some mental resilience and get on with the game

It seems to me that the majority of golfers think they are much better than they actually are. "Don't move in my eyeline when putting" ffs, unless they're dancing in between the ball and the hole, what the hell difference does it make?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Consider individual strokeplay format.

All balls on the green, but one player in a bunker with difficult lie. Player A is nearest the hole. Very likely that bunker player will still be furthest away after bunker shot and this is what happens.

Should player A offer to rake the bunker to speed up play?

Have you ever done it? Have you seen anyone else do it?

I've done this many times as player A, but I have never seen anybody else do it.

As described in the OP I probably wouldn’t offer to rake for them. I do it where additional factors not listed in the OP come into play
i.e my ball also in the bunker or our pace is slow and a group waiting etc

As it’s described; the action of raking a bunker is just part of play of the hole and therefore part of pace of play of the hole and round, and is an accepted part of the round. So there would need to be a reason to ‘speed up play’
Otherwise surely the obvious courtesy of raking for them would also apply to cleaning their SW after you rake the bunker while they prepare/putt or the job’s only half done ;)

I do 'occasionally' pick up a PPs wedge after everyone’s putted out and its in my direct path going back to the bag or fix their pitch mark, drop some sand/seed into their divot etc so I'm not a total git :whistle:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely not - there's no way I'm raking a mate's bunker for him. I'm not his bloody slave. Do it once and he'll be expecting me to do it all the time! Forget that. If it takes him that long everyone else just putts first. I'm not seeing an issue.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I rake for other players all the time, do not find it a big issue, they hit it out and it is still their turn to play what is the big deal ?
Because you could take your shot whilst they sort themselves out and then it's quicker all round. I accept this isn't possible if you're going to be dancing on their line

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I sometimes rake for other people. Depends on the circumstances. (eg if player A thins it 40yds out the bunker I may well say "you go after that, I'll rake for you"). And players C & D can carry on with preparing to putt. And I'll have well finished before player A is back

Don't see an issue - after all, even in competition (ie Club comps) we're all mates even if we're not in regular groupings

sunshine

Visit site
It might be in social golf but not in competitive stuff, especially higher level competitions.

Yeah I had this problem when I played out of turn at the Open. The commentator (Radar) was talking about me, but the cameras were pointing at my pp discussing his shot with his caddie and they missed me hole out for eagle.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Absolutely not - there's no way I'm raking a mate's bunker for him. I'm not his bloody slave. Do it once and he'll be expecting me to do it all the time! Forget that. If it takes him that long everyone else just putts first. I'm not seeing an issue.
There is no issue to be seen, so don't worry about it.
It is a matter of choice.
I would rather rake the bunker, in some circumstances, than putt out of turn with the player raking. Similarly, I would rather, in some circumstances, rake the bunker so that my playing partner does not feel so much need to rush to and take his putt. These choices of action give me the opportunity to see my playing partners' putts roll across the green, before I take mine.
Each to their own choice.