South West King of Kings results.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last? I can't believe I came last!

Oh, well, actually, umm, yes I can. The head was willing and enjoying things but the swing seemed to have fallen out of the car somewhere along the M4. I can only apologise to Tab373 and JCW for the fact that you had to watch it. This isn't a good course to choose if you're going to rediscover the joys of the "power fade" off the tee.

But, as everyone has said, a good course, good company, a bloody hard challenge, AND SOME SUN!!!!! Cheers PJ for setting it all up, and Fish, see you in 2 weeks time!

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A big thank you to Pokerjoke for organising a great day and arranging for the sun to come out, greatly appreciated. Joe and pete my playing partners, thank you for being great company today gents. I would say sorry to Pete about his driver snapping on the 12th tee i think it was ? But i think hes found his next purchase after borrowing mine and showing me how to hit it :D. To all that played thank you for being top company and so friendly towards a newbie like myself and i would have no hesitation meeting up with you all for a game again. :cheers:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cheers PJ, well organised and congrats on the win, still don't know how you managed to sort the weather out. Good luck for the finals.

Thanks to Rich and PJ my FC's for the day, good company always makes the round more enjoyable. I couldn't seem to get my 3 wood working off the tee today, and playing your second shots from the dunes is always going to make it a tough round. I seemed to scramble quite well, but I needed to from some of the positions I was in.

Thanks to all the forumers who made this first KOK meeting a great success. If all the other regions run as this one did your in for a great day. Good luck to all.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Firstly a huge thanks to PJ for organising a well oiled meeting. I simply walked in (last), even though I was less than 1 mile up the road, introduced myself, went out on the practice area and then played golf, no fussing about, well done :clap:

Huge thanks to my playing partners smmb and Srixon1, great company, nice to witness some great golfing shots as we plotted our way around. I had smmb in my group winning the closest nearest the pin other than it going in I've ever seen and Srixon1 winning the longest drive which I wanted to get my name on 1st as I was a few paces behind him in the middle of fairway and as the last group out, there were no others names on the sheet :eek:

I think as the last group out and watching everyone else tee off, we were the only group not to take any provisionals off the 1st tee :whistle:

You can't beat starting off hitting the 1st green in regulation and getting a par, I thought here we go, this is my day, but, a double bogey on the Si3 2nd hole brought me straight back to reality! The next 4 holes was single bogey golf just missing par puts on some fantastic undulating and quick greens and then I had my first real bad hole on the 7th. Hit a great drive and wasn't looking for the green in 2 so took my 7w and just in my backswing a loud shout of Fore came across and I snap hooked my ball into the only bunker I found all day! The ball was up against the front wall of the pot bunker with nowhere to get out so it was a case of hitting it against the wall and it bounce back to give me more room, I then came out OK on the 2nd attempt and then found the green in 5 and a 2-putt meant a naughty 7 :angry: A double on the 8th and a bogey on the 9th meant +3 (handicap) on the turn.

I was really miffed on the 10th, a complete blind drive to a marker on the hill and the Pro's tip in the strokesaver says to be right of the marker and draw the ball in, which I did, only to be in the rough behind the bell right on the dogleg, whereas smmb hits one over the marker with huge right to left and is on the right hand side of the fairway, so a bogey it was for me! Srixon1 and I were both eyeing up the fairway bunker on the 11th for the longest drive, Steve hit his superb and looked to be very near it, I hit mine and it looked similar so it was all going to be about the roll out, my came up slightly short but in the middle of the fairway so can't complain, although mine was with the 3w :smirk: everything was now into the wind so all 2nd approach shots seemed to be in excess of 200yds and I found myself coming up short of the greens so chipping close was imperative as some greens were huge with amazing undulations. Just like the front 9 I had 1 mare of a hole on the 12th, I missed the green by a small margin and it rolled down a bank of rough and the ball stopped in front of a large clump, 3 stabs it took to get at it and onto the green which cost me an overall 8! A decent par followed on the 13th par5 and then single bogey golf all the way to the 18th tee. I spoke to Joe in the group in front who we caught up on most tee blocks and wrongly announced I still had the same ball :eek: why did I do that :confused: I glanced at my score and saw I was net 71 standing on the 18th tee and thought I'd got myself around pretty well on a tough track, the 18th tee was totally blind, a right to left dogleg and no marker post for a line, I went for the corner on the left and forced it and balloon hooked it into the abyss, not wanting to do that again I opened up the face slightly and tried to steer one down the right only to do a very unprecedented slice, a group behind then arrived on the tee and my head went so we looked for both briefly and I had to NR, absolutely gutted but a thoroughly enjoyable day on a great testing course played in short sleeves in glorious sunshine. You certainly need to play Burnham & Berrow a few times to know where best to drive and to layup.

A few photos, HID forgot my charger so battery life had expired as I arrived!

A few of the course

Burnham3.jpgBurnham1.jpgBurnham2.jpg

Max enjoyed the huge beach at Breen

Brean3.jpgBrean1.jpgBrean2.jpg

The fence gate you can see at the top of the picture is 50yds away from our chalet, there were some railway sleeper steps there but the storms and sea battered the dunes and washed them all away!

Brean5.jpgBrean4.jpg

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Firstly a huge thanks to PJ for organising a well oiled meeting. I simply walked in (last), even though I was less than 1 mile up the road, introduced myself, went out on the practice area and then played golf, no fussing about, well done :clap:

Huge thanks to my playing partners smmb and Srixon1, great company, nice to witness some great golfing shots as we plotted our way around. I had smmb in my group winning the closest nearest the pin other than it going in I've ever seen and Srixon1 winning the longest drive which I wanted to get my name on 1st as I was a few paces behind him in the middle of fairway and as the last group out, there were no others names on the sheet :eek:

I think as the last group out and watching everyone else tee off, we were the only group not to take any provisionals off the 1st tee :whistle:

You can't beat starting off hitting the 1st green in regulation and getting a par, I thought here we go, this is my day, but, a double bogey on the Si3 2nd hole brought me straight back to reality! The next 4 holes was single bogey golf just missing par puts on some fantastic undulating and quick greens and then I had my first real bad hole on the 7th. Hit a great drive and wasn't looking for the green in 2 so took my 7w and just in my backswing a loud shout of Fore came across and I snap hooked my ball into the only bunker I found all day! The ball was up against the front wall of the pot bunker with nowhere to get out so it was a case of hitting it against the wall and it bounce back to give me more room, I then came out OK on the 2nd attempt and then found the green in 5 and a 2-putt meant a naughty 7 :angry: A double on the 8th and a bogey on the 9th meant +3 (handicap) on the turn.

I was really miffed on the 10th, a complete blind drive to a marker on the hill and the Pro's tip in the strokesaver says to be right of the marker and draw the ball in, which I did, only to be in the rough behind the bell right on the dogleg, whereas smmb hits one over the marker with huge right to left and is on the right hand side of the fairway, so a bogey it was for me! Srixon1 and I were both eyeing up the fairway bunker on the 11th for the longest drive, Steve hit his superb and looked to be very near it, I hit mine and it looked similar so it was all going to be about the roll out, my came up slightly short but in the middle of the fairway so can't complain, although mine was with the 3w :smirk: everything was now into the wind so all 2nd approach shots seemed to be in excess of 200yds and I found myself coming up short of the greens so chipping close was imperative as some greens were huge with amazing undulations. Just like the front 9 I had 1 mare of a hole on the 12th, I missed the green by a small margin and it rolled down a bank of rough and the ball stopped in front of a large clump, 3 stabs it took to get at it and onto the green which cost me an overall 8! A decent par followed on the 13th par5 and then single bogey golf all the way to the 18th tee. I spoke to Joe in the group in front who we caught up on most tee blocks and wrongly announced I still had the same ball :eek: why did I do that :confused: I glanced at my score and saw I was net 71 standing on the 18th tee and thought I'd got myself around pretty well on a tough track, the 18th tee was totally blind, a right to left dogleg and no marker post for a line, I went for the corner on the left and forced it and balloon hooked it into the abyss, not wanting to do that again I opened up the face slightly and tried to steer one down the right only to do a very unprecedented slice, a group behind then arrived on the tee and my head went so we looked for both briefly and I had to NR, absolutely gutted but a thoroughly enjoyable day on a great testing course played in short sleeves in glorious sunshine. You certainly need to play Burnham & Berrow a few times to know where best to drive and to layup.

A few photos, HID forgot my charger so battery life had expired as I arrived!

A few of the course

View attachment 9153View attachment 9154View attachment 9155

Max enjoyed the huge beach at Breen

View attachment 9156View attachment 9157View attachment 9158

The fence gate you can see at the top of the picture is 50yds away from our chalet, there were some railway sleeper steps there but the storms and sea battered the dunes and washed them all away!

View attachment 9159View attachment 9160

Good write up mate I feel your pain.
Hopefully you will bounce back and see you handicap tumble this year.
Looking at you card theres definite potential.
By the way I drove past the bunker on the 11th on the fairway but forgot to
put the marker out,had to run back 150 yards to put it in the ground.
Bigger and better next year hopefully.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The wind must have been stronger when we got to that hole:)

Good luck in the final PJ, shame I cannot make it as I have heard that Hillside is one of the best links courses in the country. And thanks again for organising.