How do you put an absolute 'mare out of your mind?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can beat the op bad run, I had 3 points for the first 7 holes can’t remember ever being that bad, rallied a bit after that but still had a bad round.

Just had to accept it was one of those days and went out again 2 days later and played much better.

For me the best remedy is to play again asp.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Sorry, but it's a game.
Your life, your money, your country are not at risk. (I hope)
I can't imagine such feelings - yes a bad shot niggles, but hey the next one will be brilliant.
For those who struggle look up Mindfulness, a potential coping mechanism for you. 🤔

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I go through the round in my head and pick my best/favourite drive, iron, chip and putt. There's always a decent one of each even in the worst rounds so I find that helps me focus on the positives.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
if the pros can do it - why are we amateurs so surprised and down on ourselves! Smile, take in the fresh air and be thankful you're not stuck indoors. A bad day on the course is always better than a good day at work - so I'm told.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I know there's another good round in me, its just not 'this' week. Honestly, I forget a bad round almost as soon as I'm off the course.

Last Saturday was a prime example of the vagaries of the game. 10pts to the turn, and playing like a dog. 19pts coming back, including back-2-back birdies on 16 & 17.

"The next shot will always be better."

Hackers76

Visit site
I just move onto the next one, mare that is 😂
After having a really good winter (by my standards) the March medal a couple of weeks back was an absolute shocker. Nothing I had improved over the last few months was working. Had this weekend off as I went away with the Mrs and it has been great to have a break and not think about it. I will go to the range Thursday before playing Friday and Saturday this week to have a refresh on a few of the things that troubled me but I am not worried about it now

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Being playing really well for the last month or so, hitting my irons better than I ever have. Short game has also been pretty good. Driving has been a struggle, but have been leaving the driver in the bag most of the time and just hitting a 5 iron off the tee. Have been scoring consistently in the mid to high 30s, and can't remember the last time I got less than 30.

All changed yesterday, irons were awful on and off the tee, so bad, I reverted to the driver which was also hopeless. 2 lost balls and spent more time in the trees than I did on the fairway.

Managed a poor 12 points on the front 9, then went on an awful run of 2 points in 6 holes (!!). Was hating every minute and couldn't wait to get off. Had totally switched off by that time, then proceeded to finish net birdie, net par, net eagle for 9 points and a grand total of 21.

To put that in context, it's 16 shots worse than what I shot on Friday in far worse weather conditions.

The finish cheered me up a bit, but I'm not back out until Friday, and I know I'm going to spend the of the week beating myself up for having played so abysmally when I have been in (relatively) great form beforehand.

Any positive advice as to how to erase yesterday and get back to where I was would be gratefully received!

Go to the boozer and get blocked mate 🍺🍺🍺🍺

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Form is temporary, I never go into a round thinking about what has gone on before. There is no chance all the same factors are going to be in play.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
The brain is pretty much hard-wired to remember negative thoughts more intently. Try and work around this by focusing purely on the good shots you hit; those last 3 holes sounded decent - so just concentrate on those.

As an aside, Fred Couples remembers the best shot he's ever hit with each particular club before he hits it - re-enforcing the positive.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The brain is pretty much hard-wired to remember negative thoughts more intently. Try and work around this by focusing purely on the good shots you hit; those last 3 holes sounded decent - so just concentrate on those.

As an aside, Fred Couples remembers the best shot he's ever hit with each particular club before he hits it - re-enforcing the positive.

First game in a week after last Monday's horror show.

Was apprehensive going out, but tried to think positive on each shot, and it did seem to work. Played some nice stuff. Putting was woeful, but wasn't too bothered about that as at least I was hitting the ball well again off the tee and the fairway. Steady 32 points despite a ridiculous amount of 3 putts. Happy enough with that in the circumstances.

GolfingPastor

Visit site
First game in a week after last Monday's horror show.

Was apprehensive going out, but tried to think positive on each shot, and it did seem to work. Played some nice stuff. Putting was woeful, but wasn't too bothered about that as at least I was hitting the ball well again off the tee and the fairway. Steady 32 points despite a ridiculous amount of 3 putts. Happy enough with that in the circumstances.

32 points with lots of 3 putts? Hope your handicap secretary isn't on this forum!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played reasonably well on Saturday in gale force winds for 32 personal points in a pairs event and turned up yesterday in far calmer conditions and played like an idiot. In my defence I wasn't feeling fantastic and having a mare of a partner in the three ball who chucked the teddies out of the pram for getting 11 points after 9 and stormed off home didn't help. I have to say my concentration, patience and shot selection was really good in trying conditions. My partner did well too considering he was playing with a broken bone in the top of one toe. My thinking is a bit like my game though. Not sure if it'll turn up on any given day which considering I've worked on this is a source of frustration

Wolf

Visit site
I go home to the Mrs and kids which then makes you realise what you've just played is just a game and has no significance on any part of life except our golfing egos.

Have fun with the kids and then when I go again I just think about the shot I'm playing, tbh I do same for good rounds to

Visit site
i talk to my better half - who lectures me about my putting performance
....then i talk to my father who tells me my putting stats are a disgrace
..then i take my dogs for a long walk and biscuits at the cafe - who then tell me what a wonderful master I am
...rinse and repeat ad nauseam

JMSAFC87

Visit site
Being playing really well for the last month or so, hitting my irons better than I ever have. Short game has also been pretty good. Driving has been a struggle, but have been leaving the driver in the bag most of the time and just hitting a 5 iron off the tee. Have been scoring consistently in the mid to high 30s, and can't remember the last time I got less than 30.

All changed yesterday, irons were awful on and off the tee, so bad, I reverted to the driver which was also hopeless. 2 lost balls and spent more time in the trees than I did on the fairway.

Managed a poor 12 points on the front 9, then went on an awful run of 2 points in 6 holes (!!). Was hating every minute and couldn't wait to get off. Had totally switched off by that time, then proceeded to finish net birdie, net par, net eagle for 9 points and a grand total of 21.

To put that in context, it's 16 shots worse than what I shot on Friday in far worse weather conditions.

The finish cheered me up a bit, but I'm not back out until Friday, and I know I'm going to spend the of the week beating myself up for having played so abysmally when I have been in (relatively) great form beforehand.

Any positive advice as to how to erase yesterday and get back to where I was would be gratefully received!
Play again ASAP 🤙🏻