Someone help me out here!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yesterday went to the range.

I hit some of the worst iron shots I've hit since before starting lessons. Total pants.

The main issue was I was hitting, quite literally, everythig towards the heel of the club face which robbed about 15 yards of distance of come right off the hosel for an Arthur J.

100 yards and in was pukka, I was that impressed with it I posted a picture to Twitter :D

Turns out, after speaking to my pro, I wasn't rotating my sholuders correctly in the down swing and through the strike.

So, last night, I got home, grabbed a 6 iron and took a short walk over the back to a local football pitch. Focussed on

a) Getting my weight left to start the downswing

And

b) Focusing on making a good turn with mu shoulders through impact.

Hey presto, strinking them lovely again :whoo:

Now. I've always said my bad shot was a pull so I think, mentally, I've been trying too hard to stop my shoulders spinning out causing the pull, which in turn caused the poor strikes.

My question:

How/why does rotating the shoulders through the strike stop a poor strike/shank?

Is not rotating causing me to come too much from the inside, presenting the hosel?

Or

Is it a case of the body releasing the clubhead at the right place and time?

Or

... :mad:

A combination of both?

I'd be interested to hear your views :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yesterday went to the range.

I hit some of the worst iron shots I've hit since before starting lessons. Total pants.

The main issue was I was hitting, quite literally, everythig towards the heel of the club face which robbed about 15 yards of distance of come right off the hosel for an Arthur J.

100 yards and in was pukka, I was that impressed with it I posted a picture to Twitter :D

Turns out, after speaking to my pro, I wasn't rotating my sholuders correctly in the down swing and through the strike.

So, last night, I got home, grabbed a 6 iron and took a short walk over the back to a local football pitch. Focussed on

a) Getting my weight left to start the downswing

And

b) Focusing on making a good turn with mu shoulders through impact.

Hey presto, strinking them lovely again :whoo:

Now. I've always said my bad shot was a pull so I think, mentally, I've been trying too hard to stop my shoulders spinning out causing the pull, which in turn caused the poor strikes.

My question:

How/why does rotating the shoulders through the strike stop a poor strike/shank?

Is not rotating causing me to come too much from the inside, presenting the hosel?

Or

Is it a case of the body releasing the clubhead at the right place and time?

Or

... :mad:

A combination of both?

I'd be interested to hear your views :thup:

Gaz, im no expert, but i do suffer the same from time to time.

I had identified the problem as , lack of full shoulder turn and just arms caused an out to in path and the Pull and sherman. I think a bit of falling forward as well on occasion.

I hate hitting balls and i find the more balls i hit the worse it gets, so i try not bother too often.

What i have been trying is lying a bit of pipe lagging about a foot long on the correct path outside the ball and this gives instant feedback . Ive got it on a mat at the back if my shed and spend about 5 mins a day swing ing a club at a rubber tee where the ball should be and this has realy helped. Ive been hitting my irons very well the last month or so ive been doing it and in almost 20 rounds ive not hit a sherman... touch wood.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure I'm qualified to answer your question, but thought this may be of interest.

When I fail to rotate my shoulders and my sternum sufficiently towards the target, I tend to come too much from the inside resulting in a strong in-to-out swingpath meaning frequent pulls (or blocks) if my timing isn't perfect. Better rotation means my swingpath is more square, or should I say the more desirable in-to-in.

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It may be a stance thing where as you stand to the ball you don't stick your rear end out a tad to lengthen your spine and therefore are trying to rotate around a poor spine angle. I have found in the past that if I don't extend my spine a tad then I lurch forward in the downswing shanking it or my height changes. The simple truth is that a good spine angle makes it easier to do a full shoulder turn.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gareth,

If you don't rotate right through the shot you will run the risk of lagging the hozel into the ball. Something to focus on is keeping the club in front of you through the swing, once it lags behind you you run the risk of a Sherman.