Some Pointers For A New Club Member?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes - the don't touch your ball one. That was one of the first things I was told about golf.

After you have placed your ball on the tee, and before picking it out of the hole - do not touch your ball unless you know exactly what you are doing or have checked with a playing partner.

G

guest100718

Just one quick point about the rules, never EVER pick up your ball before a) consulting your playing partners and b) marking where it lies with a tee peg.

The only exception is winter rules when it is fine to just mark and replace without consulting them.

Mostly untrue and one of the sad things that experienced golfers should know better..

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
Dont be shy to say to you playing partners on the day that you are new to golf, at least for formal competition golf. If youre unsure of a ruling/decision ask for advice. Be chatty/sociable/friendly on the day to help you integrate, not during shots though and just have fun. Help look for lost balls if you can. Dont laugh at a partners bad shot. As you play a lot more comps you'll build up your experience.

One more to add in, get into the habit of repairing your pitch marks and others if you can/time allows (if you dont do so already). It will demonstrate respect and ownership for your new digs.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just enjoy yourself, don't take it too seriously. Ask your playing partners if you're not sure on the rules.... chances are they'll say they don't know either or they'll tell you something and get it wrong.... ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get stuck in. Find out if they have regular roll ups at weekends as this will give you a regular game. Many clubs have them. If you need a handicap, get three cars in asap. Once you have this enter as many competitions as you can, as it's a great way to meet other members quickly, especially if they are randomly drawn

Once you are out and playing, especially in a competition, if you are unsure how to proceed, don't touch the ball or pick it up if you are unsure how to proceed. Always carry a rule book, as there are many "experts" who actually no very few rules or how to interpret them.

Above all, have fun. That's what you pay your fees for

G

guest100718

Don't worry I wasn't interested in his opinion, just thought I'd see what pearls of crap he'd come up with to help the OP!

Be my guest and teach the poor fella made up nonsense.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe there is also an app that you can install on your phone (Android and Apple) provided by the R&A, its the Rules of Golf, very useful to have and to find out information quickly.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe there is also an app that you can install on your phone (Android and Apple) provided by the R&A, its the Rules of Golf, very useful to have and to find out information quickly.

Quick Guide Page contains content on:

• Tee Shot
  • Playing the Ball
  • On the Putting Green
  • Ball at Rest Moved
  • Ball in Motion Deflected or Stopped
  • Lifting, Dropping and Placing the Ball
  • Relief Situations and Procedures
  • Ball Lost or Out of Bounds; Provisional Ball
  • Ball Unplayable

Familiarise yourself with the pages above. You will most likely encounter these issues above yourself or someone who is playing alongside you and it is useful to know, so that you don't end up DQ or being cheated by another. I also believe it is now ok to have your mobile phone on you and out on the course as long as it is for checking rules and on silent, I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong.