Some of the best and some of the worst

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

So I played 36 holes this weekend, the first round was on Saturday and I played with a fellow forum user, now that man can play some mean golf. I played a pretty steady game as I have been for the last few months, 34 points. All good stuff.

So Monday rolls around and my good buddy and main golf partner and I go for a round. I started with a SHOCKING 8,6,8 and with every shot I lost more confidence but I work hard on my mental game so I did not give up and kept trying to get something going. Hit a par on the 4th and took the honour back, pushing on to the 5th. The wind was blasting in so my dive came up shorter than it might have, leaving me 191 yards to the well guarded green. I took out my 19* hybrid learning from the drive and gave a good swing, the ball took a beautiful penetrating flight and because of the head wind took a sweet bounce and jumped up onto the green. “Heroic shot Al” came the call from my buddy. I walked to the green feeling like I was getting something going only to 3 putt the green /sigh. But I had to take home that approach shot, it was the best long range GIR I have ever hit, on a tricky hole.

Onto the narrow 6th good drive, solid 2nd that came up short and sat about 8 foot from the edge. There is a huge left to right on this whole hole, green included so I gave my 9 iron a little poke about 15 foot left of the pin and watched it hop about a third of the way and start to chase in a big arc towards the hole...... boom, it dropped another one for the highlights. And now surly I am getting something going.

7th hole, Drive away, the hole is a dog leg so the approach was back into the wind but the approach plays short because the green is sunken. I blasted my 8 iron, and I truly believe it was the best iron shot I have ever hit, it just felt awesome, it took one bounce dripped down the back and from 145 yards out you could hear the slap of ball on flag stick. I guess the putt was about 5 foot and pretty sinkable, but DAMN not for me, walked off sick as a dog with a par.... back to back birdies would have made up for the 8,6,8 in my mind.

And then back into the doubles plus. Onto the 11th with a long low drive heading into some rough on the left, bad drive for me usually mean bad hole, I work well when I leave the tee with my head up, but I know this so I puff up my chest till I see the lie. The ball was on some bent over dry grass but the grass was lying in my favour. I fully committed to my 6 iron that I needed to fly 172 yards out of the rough, looking back that just sounds dumb. My club made a beautiful crack; the ball came out high landing smack in the middle of the green... Guess whos back.... and off I go 3 putting again.

12, again with the 8 iron god bless it, a sweet 145 yarder to about 10 foot threading the shot beautifully between the bunker and a hillock, a very tight entry to that green. 15 another 9 iron to within a foot for a given par.

The dross that I played in-between some of my all time golf highlights, shots more than holes, was unreal. I have never had such a chequered round and I maybe have never given myself so many chances and pissed them away. And as much as I love to hit great shots, and I really do, by nature I’m a show boater, I would take the steady rounds I have been hitting the last few months with good enough sensible enough shots.

Readying that last paragraph makes me feel sick, I must be getting old and what worried me more is that I can’t get better with that attitude.

Sorry about the wall of text.

Alex

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had the reverse. Played so badly in the first round of our weekend comp I put in a rare NR following a lost ball at 13. Went out yesterday and shot a net 73 (+3). Not earth shattering but with four doubles (including three at par 3's) then pretty steady and a world of difference in ball striking

A

Alex1975

My ball striking was far far better today, some of the best, but that was all I had so it came to nothing apart from allot of late night analysis.