Some Advice Please

jonnyhacker

Visit site
Hi there, first of all apologies I'm sure you get a million of these threads every day. I'm taking up golf again after an 8 year lay off, I've been borrowing my old man's clubs whilst he's been recouperating from a back op, now he wants them back but I want to carry on playing ergo I need some clubs.

I'm a high handicapper shooting in and around 100 looking to try and march on towards the low 90's, could anyone recommend some irons? I'd appreciate any advice given, many thanks.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome Jonnyhacker.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Most brands have a set of irons aimed at your level of playing ability. I.E calloway have the Big bertha irons which are designed to be ultra forgiving on mis-hits. As do titleist, taylormade and ping to name but a few.

The best advice I can give you is the same we give to everyone asking this question. See if you can find a custom fitting centre and book your self in with a pro. They will give you a load of different makes and models to try with different shafts and grips etc. Its a sure fire way to know you have exactly the right clubs to best match your game.

If you do not want to be custom fit and your not really that serious about the game. You can always get down to your local American Golf and try some clubs out in their bays, but its not really going to tell you alot.

By the way, what clubs were you using?

jonnyhacker

Visit site
I'm on a budget not really wanting to spend more than £300 as the standard I'm at I don't think can justify anything more expensive. I'll look into the customer centres there's a Nevada Bob's relatively close is that kind of place worth gonig to? I was using a set of Pinseekers (Couldn't tell you what model to be honest) they worked relatively well for me although I didn't get on with the woods (Howson Something or other) at all. Thanks again for yur advice.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have never dealt with N/bobs although I am sure there are some of our members on here that do so wait out to be advised on them.

For that £300 are you looking for everything (bag, driver, woods, trolley, shoes, balls etc) or is that £300 soley for you irons, because for £300 I wreckon you could pick up a set of last years big bertha's 4-sw for that second hand!

jonnyhacker

Visit site
Just the irons, The Old man's sorted me with a bag and a putter. I'm useless with Woods so will probably just invest in a Driver for now, so should probably look into that as well. Thanks again though.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was in a similar situation to you earlier this year.
I wanted to upgrade to a better set of sticks (i've only been playing for a short while and had a cheap 2nd hand set in the beginning), i went to Nevada Bobs looking to spend around £300 for a set of irons and a driver.
the lads in the store were brilliant, they weren't pushy and spent a fair bit of time with me, just discussing my needs and experience. they let me try numerous clubs in their bay (i know bays won't tell you everything you need to know, but they give you a good idea if you're gonna get on with the clubs). until i found a set i liked, they even gave a couple of pointers with my set up and stance that have helped my game.

i got a set of MD Golf superstrong GM irons 3-pw (£150), a Benross Velo-CT driver (£96) and a Ram trolley bag (£20)for £270. i already had a putter i liked and a LW.

I've heard from a couple of people that AG try to push you onto clubs that you may not neccessarily want that's the reason i went NB in the first place.

I'm sure there's others on here that have had bad experiences with them but I found their service first class.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'll look into the customer centres there's a Nevada Bob's relatively close is that kind of place worth gonig to? I was using a set of Pinseekers (Couldn't tell you what model to be honest) they worked relatively well for me although I didn't get on with the woods (Howson Something or other) at all. Thanks again for yur advice.

IMHO -NB's is more or less cut from the same cloth as American Golf. Has a slightly less supermarket feel about it but the buying experience is likely to be quite similar. If I had to give one or the other the nod it probably would be NB's from personal experience.

As far as your clubs go. FWIW If you're coming back into the game rather than starting off fresh I might be inclined to hold back from buying something new for now, save the pennies and have a good look around at the market- perhaps taking in the online version of the 2008 GM buying guide on here along the way .

Once you've got a few more sheckles in your back pocket then go to a club pro/ range pro and try out as many of the clubs that take your fancy as you can - then get them CF'd.

Each extra £50 you can throw at if opens your options.

I would have thought that some of the things you learned first time round would kick in sooner or later so you're likely to 'grow out' of a beginner set quite quickly and want to upgrade prematurely.

Having said that, if the cash is burning a hole in your pocket then MD golf gear gets a lot of good reviews here and often matches or exceeds the big boys for value and quality.

Whatever you do don't get suckered into a 'everything apart from the kitchen sink party pack' type set. The Mrs. got a set from AG when she started (despite my mumbled protestations from the corner of the shop) and they turn to mush pretty quickly.

They have a place and get you going (which to be fair they did for Mrs. Billy ) but it's not the way forward for someone in your situation I think.

Happy hunting.

Bill

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to agree that the MD kit is very good and available at a great price. Would also suggest that you have a look at the Benross irons, they always score highly in reviews.

If you are looking for a custom fit option then Orka are great and as far as I am aware are the only budget make that include custom fitting. I am more than happy with my Kii irons at then were fully fitted for £200.00

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All I can add is that the Benross and MD gear has had some great reviews in GM and Todays Golfer and won't break the bank but will be forgiving as you start out. If you go to AG there is the Nicklaus range (which they inevitably will try and flog you anyway) which may suit but they do get the ball in the air very quickly so not good if you play links golf or on an open course affected by wind.

I may go against the grain here but I'd probably say not to worry about custom fitting on your first set unless you are certain you will persist with the game. What I would advise is trying them out on a driving range as opposed to in the shop itself via computer. That was at least you can see how they fly and how far they go for yourself as opposed to relying on a PC and technology

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst I agree with what the others have said in terms of the likes of MD golf, Benross and Ben sayers offering great value for money if you want to get the best out of your budget go for the clubs that Dave (realgolferuk) has recommended. They really are a wise pick and I had no idea they were that price so I am going to recommend them to my dad as well because he is in need of a new set and they are more than decent clubs. Macgregor really do make a good iron so they are definitely worth a try. Happy hunting anyway.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I would suggest the King Cobra FP's as a good choice for you.

The best thing to do is just try a few to be honest and go with what works best in your hands.

Oh and as somebody said, AG will definately try and push you into what the store gets the best commission on, this at present is any Hogan or Wilson Product.

Also have a look at the 2nd hand market, I bought my Titleist 755's which had been demo'd only for £150 or so which was an incredible bargain.