Solheim Cup

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really don't get all the slow play gripes here. I watched it all day and at no time did I think they were particularly slow other than Lexi's putt on 18 which was forgivable in the context of that match. The pro game is slow generally and these were the most high pressured matches many of these players will ever play.

Some of it was getting silly. There was one where the USA girl (can't remember her name) had her putt lined up by her caddy (wrong imo), picked her marker up, looked at her putt again, re marked her ball and adjusted it about half a millimeter, before starting the whole pre shot routine all over again!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Actually, I really don't think the putting was slower than in other pro events. It is more that with the match play format and only a few groups out there, the footage dwells on it much longer. In a normal four round stroke play comp we normally only get to see the putt (which from the viewers standpoint is enough, of course) and not the preparation that goes into it, because there is enough other stuff going on at the same time, that they can show. That's why it appears so much slower. But in truth it is always very slow compared to a normal amateur round.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The sooner the rule comes in to stop Caddies helping players line up puts/shots the better, the length of time it took some of the players to take a shot was ridiculous. Watching Kang I think it was line up a putt on Saturday night I fell asleep, only to wake up on the replay to see she missed the putt.

Professionals should be ashamed that they are getting their caddies to line up putts. It should be banned.

I stopped watching after day 1, too painfully slow to watch. I have a feeling the last Ryder cup wasn't much quicker mind.

U

User62651

A caddie is there to help the player with carrying, club choice, strategy, course information like yardages and wind and slopes on greens. I don't see how they can help with all that then not be allowed to help line up a putt. It's the time taken rather than the helping that's the issue.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Would never have happened on the BBC .. :whistle:

Well, it sure as hell is better than the German coverage two years ago, when the German public tv, which did have exclusive broadcast rights for Germany, switched their coverage off 10 min before the final decision to show a re-run of an election of a local wine-queen (I kid you not). No red button or stream available as an alternative either. That really sucked.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Well, it sure as hell is better than the German coverage two years ago, when the German public tv, which did have exclusive broadcast rights for Germany, switched their coverage off 10 min before the final decision to show a re-run of an election of a local wine-queen (I kid you not). No red button or stream available as an alternative either. That really sucked.

Christ, If this one is anything to go by I bet the Golf Monatsforum went apoplectic with rage. ;)

And out of interest, who did win the election. As a wine queen sounds like someone I'd quite like to meet.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Were there a billion ads on sky? The host broadcast seemed like they were taking the piss with the amount of time the leaderboard was being shown on the youtube stream I was watching (from the Netherlands, think that was accessible whereever there was no deal in place with traditional telly)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Slow play, also lining up shots to the fairway and putts, some of these players are seriously going to struggle on there own.You obviously like women's golf and have your blinkers on just like me with my athletics lol.

I thought it was great. It was definitely slow, Laura Davies even made reference to the pace of play, but it's wasn't really detrimental to the quality of the event.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play wasn't fast but I didn't find it that much worse than other golf on TV. It was a huge occasion for many of the players and if you miss that putt your letting your whole team down not just yourself like normal golf so you can forgive them taking a bit extra care. Was quite exciting for a short spell when Europe were up it almost all the matches and were holing lots of putts. Best team won but Europe dug in well and made USA work for it. Obviously lost it in the fourballs with only 1 point out of 8.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Christ, If this one is anything to go by I bet the Golf Monatsforum went apoplectic with rage. ;)

And out of interest, who did win the election. As a wine queen sounds like someone I'd quite like to meet.

Yeah, it did not sit too well with German golf fans.

No idea about the wine queen, but I am sure she was blond and well rounded in all the right places. Seems to be the most important job requirement.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I watched a little of it on Sky sports mix, which I found out I get for free without having the other sky channels. It definitely felt slow but as other people have mentioned I guess it's because more air time is actually spent showing them going through their routines. I enjoyed it and the golf was top class. Having caddies line up putts does really bug me though, is there actually a rule coming in to stop that?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd just like to say 'our' ladies put in a credible performance on the last day...
Sadly, the match had already been more or less lost on the first two days...

Sky's coverage [on MixHD] was a pleasure to watch...
Great to see so many on course spectators having seen way too few at Kingsbarns...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watched a little of it on Sky sports mix, which I found out I get for free without having the other sky channels. It definitely felt slow but as other people have mentioned I guess it's because more air time is actually spent showing them going through their routines. I enjoyed it and the golf was top class. Having caddies line up putts does really bug me though, is there actually a rule coming in to stop that?

One of the proposed changes in 2019

"Expanded restriction on caddie help with alignment: Your caddie is not allowed to stand on a line behind you from the time you begin taking your stance until you have made your stroke."

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Really enjoyed it. Georgia Hall has a new fan...she's going to have a great career - all being well.

Well the first thing is to get a decent European tour for her and others coming through to get a solid grounding. Going to the US and playing in such a cut throat environment isn't for everyone. I hope despite the defeat, the sponsors can see the potential in the European Tour and the officials can now get together and develop and get a tour fit for purpose