Solheim Cup

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The thing is when there are only 4-12 games out on the course you are more likely to see every shot being played in comparison to the mens comps where 120 or more are out on the course, so unless Tiger does it less likely to see the dross.

Just take it for what it is, yesterday's win should be in the pantheon of Medinah, Istanbul, Headingley. I was following the latter stages along with the cricket on my phone on the course, but wished I was watching it live. They also dont have the same strength as the men, so may also struggle out of longer rough, as well.

Surely you mean Barcelona '99. :whistle:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a female equivalent to The President's Cup? Considering the worlds best are largely SE Asian it would be odd if there wasn't a competition for them to take part in.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is there a female equivalent to The President's Cup? Considering the worlds best are largely SE Asian it would be odd if there wasn't a competition for them to take part in.

I doubt the US would entertain it because they know they would get a Royal smashing - the Presidents Cup was mainly started imo because the US were starting to lose the Ryder Cup on a regular basis and saw the “Internationals” as an easy win

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The thing with the slow play on the coverage was the fact that in most instances they cut away to other shots so the viewer wasn't left watching a pro stalk a putt for 2-3 minutes. That was the case in the singles too. Yes, they shouldn't have taken so long to go round but to say the viewer would have been put off watching them line up putts is misleading and it is now down to the governing bodies (and the media in all formats) to get behind the achievement and really use it as a tool to try and get women to try golf. If we can get as many trying it as possible (same goes for juniors) then I would hope some will take it up. It is then down to clubs to provide a welcoming atmosphere where they feel happy to join and integrate. That is perhaps the next major stumbling block

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

No, there is an international cup, a team event, but only teams entered from a particular country. Apparently the Japanese, and Korean players do not not get on that well, at a national level, and do not want to play together.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You could argue that Sky could have given it more of their A team (Ewen Murray etc) and I think I'm right in thinking they have done it in the past. And of course you're right that with exclusive live rights you had to watch their coverage. My point to LP and in general is why bemoan their coverage when it's a captured market. You could of course argue that Sky were giving some presenters a chance to show what they could and couldn't do as a way of planning for the future.

You can argue the rights and wrongs of Sky having sole rights (where were BBC, C4 etc when the rights were up for offer, as you could argue with other golf and sport coverage) and the rights and wrongs of who did or didn't present and their level of competency and enhancement of the viewing. What it takes away from is a European win, and as I've said on the back of some initiatives in the last 12-18 months aimed specifically at the female market and increasing participation, there is a real opportunity to use the Solheim success as a catalyst. To focus purely on the negatives of the coverage, or indeed the negatives within the event (slow play in particular) takes away from what in the bigger picture was a a compelling event with a classic last gasp finish. it was perfectly set at 8-8 going into the singles and played out toa perfect script. It needs golf and the powers that be especially in the ladies game but the media as well to recognise this and use it to drive participation or at least generate interest.

I would even argue singles matchplay is going to be slow. There are only 12 games on the course so no-one is really that fussed about pace of play. How many groups were a hole behind? It is not different to the singles in the RC and given how it played out you could forgive both sides for wanting to take their time and make sure every shot counted and put pressure on the opponent.

Golf in general has suffered in the last few months (slow play in the mens game, Kuch and his issues, DeChambeau and that putt) and so much of it is its own making. Like it or not golf is a niche sport and participation is waning and clubs need a regular influx of players to take the game up and look to join a club. I think you'll find that the working woman demographic is one most clubs would ideally target especially as the days of stay at home wives is by and large is consigned to history.

A quick google of Solheim Cup shows the BBC website and most of the nationals as well as the golf journals and websites all picking up on the win and not too many seem to be playing the negatives of slow play as the lead. Most talk about how nail biting it was. It seems a lot of the cheap stuff comes directly from social media like twitter. All sport seems to get these troll posts that try to undermine something good and so I'd rather take on board input from respected sources.

That's a lot of arguing!!! :p

In all seriousness though, it's only golfers who are moaning about the slow play. Anyone 'casual' or who doesn't really play but enjoys watching probably wouldn't notice the speed. And its THEM who are the real target here, because golfers already play the game!

It was fantastic that we won, one of my golf WhatsApp groups was going nuts as the action unfolded. I didn't get to watch it live as I was at Hyde Park but I watched the highlights later. Gripping stuff.

Well done Europe.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a lot of arguing!!! :p

In all seriousness though, it's only golfers who are moaning about the slow play. Anyone 'casual' or who doesn't really play but enjoys watching probably wouldn't notice the speed. And its THEM who are the real target here, because golfers already play the game!

It was fantastic that we won, one of my golf WhatsApp groups was going nuts as the action unfolded. I didn't get to watch it live as I was at Hyde Park but I watched the highlights later. Gripping stuff.

Well done Europe.
I don't know that I could agree with that. People like to see action, especially if they are not that familiar with a sport. We on here may understand some of the delays but non golfers or very part time golfers want to see things happen. Dead time, watching a golfer take an age etc is a turn off for them.

Incidentally, Iain Carter in his piece for the BBC is very critical about the pace of play on the first two days. It was noted by everyone, not just grumps on here.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't know that I could agree with that. People like to see action, especially if they are not that familiar with a sport. We on here may understand some of the delays but non golfers or very part time golfers want to see things happen. Dead time, watching a golfer take an age etc is a turn off for them.

Incidentally, Iain Carter in his piece for the BBC is very critical about the pace of play on the first two days. It was noted by everyone, not just grumps on here.
Thing was, watching it live, the coverage tended to switch to other groups or other singles matches so they didn't necessarily focus on the players reading putts forever and so for a casual viewer it would have perhaps looked much quicker than it was. I agree it was probably those that golf already that really noticed it and Iain Carter was right about the pace. I just think the coverage covered it up

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Some great golf by all players. Great pity that many of the LET don't make much money.

I was really disappointed by the post comp press coverage. Never made one front page headline on any newspaper on Monday. Also barely made the front of the bbc and sky websites.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played the course today and couldn't believe how short it was, tees were all as the final days play including the pins.

It was in super condition and the greens were quick got round in just over 3 hours 30 minutes.

D

Deleted member 17920

Played the course today and couldn't believe how short it was, tees were all as the final days play including the pins.

It was in super condition and the greens were quick got round in just over 3 hours 30 minutes.
Have to say the presentation of Gleneagles for the Solheim was just incredible, the hours the green staff put into the fairway presentation is just 👌, those lines will be there for months.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have to say the presentation of Gleneagles for the Solheim was just incredible, the hours the green staff put into the fairway presentation is just 👌, those lines will be there for months.

Yes, I walked a few holes on the fairways after the competition was over while waiting for my bus. Beautifully lush and a very inviting playing surface. Can't fault the presentation of the course.

Play on the Sunday in the singles was not quick, and some players were very deliberate, but it did not spoil the enjoyment of the fans. Taking care under the circumstances is understandable. The sun was out which also enhanced the crowds patience.

My friends were there on Saturday and said the conditions were horrendous and much worse than they looked on TV.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I did suggest that the course looked a bit driver wedge for the women on a few holes.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just watched the highlights and can’t believe the yank laid up on 18 against Peterson - only just over 200 yards WTF!

User20204

Visit site
Just watched the highlights and can’t believe the yank laid up on 18 against Peterson - only just over 200 yards WTF!

200 yards straight uphill to a pin on a very narrow landing area with massive drops offs either side on a hole she didn't need to win and her opposition was in the right rough behind a tree, remind us how many Solheim/Ryder Cups you've played in ?

Last edited: