Solheim Cup

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What a way to Pettersen's career to end and a vindication of her selection. I thought at 8-8 going into the singles, usually the US strong suit we'd struggle especially needing to win outright to win the trophy. What a captivating afternoon culmination in those last few putts and then that one for Pettersen. Was it just me or was that longer than Kaymer's one for the RC

It was longer than the one Langer missed at Kiawha island with the last putt that gave the Americans victory when Europe needed it to retain the RC with 14-14

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The commentary team were poor - far too “partisan” at times and sometimes were saying some poor stuff - it seemed like a “b team” of reporters etc and one of them doing the on course spent most of the time heavy breathing down the mic , sounded really bad.
Phil

I'm confused. You know the Solheim is being shown on Sky. You know (or will from early in the coverage) it isn't the usual Sky team and so some of these may not have presented at this level but you persist to watch and then critique them. In my opinion, you know what you're going to be getting in terms of coverage (and yes so play became apparent) and while there were some bad shots played, there were also some great ones too including some European clutch putts that ultimately won the cup. Why is it whenever Sky is on, do you seek to see the worse in their coverage and focus on the poorest shots. I think given the campaigns like "This Girl Golfs" and a host of others this could be a catalyst to really grow female interest and participation.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Phil

I'm confused. You know the Solheim is being shown on Sky. You know (or will from early in the coverage) it isn't the usual Sky team and so some of these may not have presented at this level but you persist to watch and then critique them. In my opinion, you know what you're going to be getting in terms of coverage (and yes so play became apparent) and while there were some bad shots played, there were also some great ones too including some European clutch putts that ultimately won the cup. Why is it whenever Sky is on, do you seek to see the worse in their coverage and focus on the poorest shots. I think given the campaigns like "This Girl Golfs" and a host of others this could be a catalyst to really grow female interest and participation.

So where else do you watch the Solheim Cup if not on Sky Homer?

And surely if you want to grow something you give it your best attention, not the B team?

D

Deleted member 15344

It was longer than the one Langer missed at Kiawha island with the last putt that gave the Americans victory when Europe needed it to retain the RC with 14-14

Was that just before he went to the broom handle putter ? He was having a mare with the putter for a while

Dear LP, we are pleased to announce you have won £5m on the lottery

LP: Thanks very much, that's brilliant, great news, but.........

;)

Always got to look to improve ;)

They won which was great for the Ladies and the crowds especially on the Sunday , but the play before over the friday and saturday would have seen a lot turn off which is a shame - great chance to highlight golf and ladies golf. But i think golf is that much of a niche sport that i think its always going to struggle to attract the working lady demographic.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
The commentary team were poor - far too “partisan” at times and sometimes were saying some poor stuff - it seemed like a “b team” of reporters etc and one of them doing the on course spent most of the time heavy breathing down the mic , sounded really bad.
If the whole event was as bad as you keep saying, why on earth did you watch it. Seems a very odd thing to do.
Very odd...

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Phil

And well done sky for making it available to all subscribers, not just those with sports. I wouldn't have watched it otherwise.

D

Deleted member 15344

If the whole event was as bad as you keep saying, why on earth did you watch it. Seems a very odd thing to do.
Very odd...

why is that always the response when people are critical of sporting events - i still enjoy watching the events regardless of who is covering them , the answer shouldnt be "well dont watch it" , there will be lots of people who did switch off over the first two days and prob missed a good finale. You only need to go to other social media outlets to read the negative press on the event , you can bury your head in the sand about it if you want but that shouldnt mean people arent allowed to have respectful debates about it.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
why is that always the response when people are critical of sporting events - i still enjoy watching the events regardless of who is covering them , the answer shouldnt be "well dont watch it" , there will be lots of people who did switch off over the first two days and prob missed a good finale. You only need to go to other social media outlets to read the negative press on the event , you can bury your head in the sand about it if you want but that shouldnt mean people arent allowed to have respectful debates about it.
You first post was its hard to watch ..... and then just general moaning, often just for the sake of it. what else is a man to think?

Last edited:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ross6 said It was longer than the one Langer missed at Kiawha island with the last putt that gave the Americans victory when Europe needed it to retain the RC with 14-14

Was that just before he went to the broom handle putter ? He was having a mare with the putter for a while.

Kiawha Island was 1991, Langer won the Masters in 1993 with a standard length putter

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Was that just before he went to the broom handle putter ? He was having a mare with the putter for a while

Always got to look to improve ;)

They won which was great for the Ladies and the crowds especially on the Sunday , but the play before over the friday and saturday would have seen a lot turn off which is a shame - great chance to highlight golf and ladies golf. But i think golf is that much of a niche sport that i think its always going to struggle to attract the working lady demographic.

Golf is one of those sports( like many) that doesn't appeal to the working lady demographic. !! Probably not to the ordinary public either.😀

But why does it have to.? Or even worrying about doing so?
There are sufficient numbers of golf enthusiasts to warrant the broadcast of golf every week. Sky obviously reckon it pays.
There is football, rugby( both), F1, cricket, cycling, etc. And it's broadcast for their enthusiasts, not for the general public. Because enough of those enthusiasts pay Sky, then they get the programmes.
And while I'm defending Sky's sports presentation of golf, I also do not get this bleating about slow play in events such as these.
True, slow play is a pain in ordinary golf. Slow play's main aggravation surely is the way it affects those playing it, I.e. You and I and most amateurs who get held up etc.
That's a world away from Pros who are playing in a fixed field on an exclusive -to -their -event golf course.
Are we to seriously think that if the Solheim last day , or any previous day,had gone round in an hour less, that we would have enjoyed it more?
As a golf enthusiast, you either watch it, or have other things to do, as is always the case in life. Why worry that it isn't faster?
It was an exciting end to a very good golfing event, and it was presented as well as any TV channel would have presented it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So where else do you watch the Solheim Cup if not on Sky Homer?

And surely if you want to grow something you give it your best attention, not the B team?
You could argue that Sky could have given it more of their A team (Ewen Murray etc) and I think I'm right in thinking they have done it in the past. And of course you're right that with exclusive live rights you had to watch their coverage. My point to LP and in general is why bemoan their coverage when it's a captured market. You could of course argue that Sky were giving some presenters a chance to show what they could and couldn't do as a way of planning for the future.

You can argue the rights and wrongs of Sky having sole rights (where were BBC, C4 etc when the rights were up for offer, as you could argue with other golf and sport coverage) and the rights and wrongs of who did or didn't present and their level of competency and enhancement of the viewing. What it takes away from is a European win, and as I've said on the back of some initiatives in the last 12-18 months aimed specifically at the female market and increasing participation, there is a real opportunity to use the Solheim success as a catalyst. To focus purely on the negatives of the coverage, or indeed the negatives within the event (slow play in particular) takes away from what in the bigger picture was a a compelling event with a classic last gasp finish. it was perfectly set at 8-8 going into the singles and played out toa perfect script. It needs golf and the powers that be especially in the ladies game but the media as well to recognise this and use it to drive participation or at least generate interest.

I would even argue singles matchplay is going to be slow. There are only 12 games on the course so no-one is really that fussed about pace of play. How many groups were a hole behind? It is not different to the singles in the RC and given how it played out you could forgive both sides for wanting to take their time and make sure every shot counted and put pressure on the opponent.

Golf in general has suffered in the last few months (slow play in the mens game, Kuch and his issues, DeChambeau and that putt) and so much of it is its own making. Like it or not golf is a niche sport and participation is waning and clubs need a regular influx of players to take the game up and look to join a club. I think you'll find that the working woman demographic is one most clubs would ideally target especially as the days of stay at home wives is by and large is consigned to history.

A quick google of Solheim Cup shows the BBC website and most of the nationals as well as the golf journals and websites all picking up on the win and not too many seem to be playing the negatives of slow play as the lead. Most talk about how nail biting it was. It seems a lot of the cheap stuff comes directly from social media like twitter. All sport seems to get these troll posts that try to undermine something good and so I'd rather take on board input from respected sources.

User20204

Visit site
A quick google of Solheim Cup shows the BBC website and most of the nationals as well as the golf journals and websites all picking up on the win and not too many seem to be playing the negatives of slow play as the lead.

Yet on Saturday it was the very first question that was asked by Eilidh Barbour her guest after the highlights on the BBC.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I hate wearing a cap or even being able to feel the scorecard in my back pocket; I have no idea how Salas can play golf wearing huge ear muffs and what looks like a bumbag?!
Does anyone know what this actually is?

I was watching it on TV, when wy fiance saw her and said 'If there are any girls watching this, they'll look at what she is wearing and think "I'm not playing golf!"' :D

D

Deleted member 1147

...I would even argue singles matchplay is going to be slow. There are only 12 games on the course so no-one is really that fussed about pace of play. How many groups were a hole behind? It is not different to the singles in the RC and given how it played out you could forgive both sides for wanting to take their time and make sure every shot counted and put pressure on the opponent...

Singles matchplay should never be slow!

Only 2 players, supposedly at the top of the game, with people finding balls which have gone offline, all the knowledge and info about the course, a caddie, captains an VC’s.
They should be able to fly round the course!

D

Deleted member 15344

Golf is one of those sports( like many) that doesn't appeal to the working lady demographic. !! Probably not to the ordinary public either.😀

But why does it have to.? Or even worrying about doing so?
There are sufficient numbers of golf enthusiasts to warrant the broadcast of golf every week. Sky obviously reckon it pays.

It’s not just about getting interest in watching golf - it’s about getting people playing the sport to get more members into clubs to help keep clubs alive - the governing bodies it appears decided that working ladies and young girls was a demographic to look at to bring people into the sport - lots of initiatives are being tried to bring ladies into the sport.

There is football, rugby( both), F1, cricket, cycling, etc. And it's broadcast for their enthusiasts, not for the general public. Because enough of those enthusiasts pay Sky, then they get the programmes.
And while I'm defending Sky's sports presentation of golf, I also do not get this bleating about slow play in events such as these.
True, slow play is a pain in ordinary golf. Slow play's main aggravation surely is the way it affects those playing it, I.e. You and I and most amateurs who get held up etc.
That's a world away from Pros who are playing in a fixed field on an exclusive -to -their -event golf course.
Are we to seriously think that if the Solheim last day , or any previous day,had gone round in an hour less, that we would have enjoyed it more?
As a golf enthusiast, you either watch it, or have other things to do, as is always the case in life. Why worry that it isn't faster?
It was an exciting end to a very good golfing event, and it was presented as well as any TV channel would have presented it.

It’s not just about then going around an hour quicker it is the viewer seeing them do more than spending 2/3 mins over a shot or a putt when we know that slow play is a big thing in golf and it’s not thrilling to watch when someone spends 3 mins walking around a green or watches someone not give a putt from 6 inches then watching them mark , move away , then come back , line up from various angles then putt - it’s not great viewing regardless of what Comp or who it is.

Last edited by a moderator: