Solheim Cup 2021

sunshine

Visit site
I popped over to the WRX forum to read their thread on the Solheim Cup for a different perspective, interesting and at times amusing slant on it all.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1829273-2021-solheim-cup/page/16/

Thank you, that was a good read. Some insightful comments, as well as some rubbish... no different from any thread on here!

My personal highlight was the guy arguing (with a poster from Finland) that Finland was in Scandinavia. He's probably never left Nebraska.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Disagree, lots of context can be added knowing a player is putting for an eagle.... to get a half!
I think you can mention it as an afterthought to show the level of play in that hole, I remember a European, Georgia Hall I think, winning with a bogey on one hole for example which was an interesting point, but saying the player going first is putting for an eagle is irrelevant. It is player v player, not player v course.

It's a mild irritation to me, and some others, but not a big deal.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I didn't see much of it but at least I didn't see any face paint, flags in hair and the like from the US side. That can only be a positive IMO

Rockall

Visit site
What a great 3 days golf, thoroughly enjoyable and very impressive from our girls to battle through with no support. Although saying that, I think it was Georgia hall who said the silence almost spurred them on because they knew they were doing well.

The commentary was god awful. Dottie was so bitter, we were on 14 points with pederson guaranteed a half for a good 20 minutes and she was still going on about us ‘retaining’ the cup. And the team captain was equally ungracious. Very strange that.

Finally, delighted for Sagstrom after the pick up problem. She’s been through a lot and that would’ve been devastating had we lost because of that point.
In fairness, Dottie tried to get it through to the main commentator (with the Australian accent) that it was a guaranteed 14.5. The main commentator took over half an hour to realise that the overall match was won. Tried to turn it back a bit by saying that Europe still had to complete the last match.

NoLayingUp

Visit site
I can’t confess to watching Women’s Golf regularly but I must confess, it was utterly exhilarating to watch! I found myself hooked, what great ambassadors for the game, well done ladies!

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, having watched the Solheim Cup I can safely say lady professional golfers are immense. They may lack the distance compared to the professional men (although would outdrive must of us by miles), but they certainly do not lack anything in terms of ball striking, skill and imagination. Maguire was pure class.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
LET is on Sky Sports You Tube currently; I know considerably below LPGA but thought i'd watch given Solheim uptick.

Caroline Hedwall is playing, and reminded me a bit of Leona Macguire. She took 5 points from 5 back in 2013 Solheim, got up to world number 26 but then seems to have completely fallen away since that season and no longer on LPGA. Just wondered if anyone knows how she lost form so bad? Don't think it will happen to Leona looking at her recent play in US but does go to show that she's been penciled in for 2023 Spain Solheim but could easily fall away.

Feels like Meg Maclaren could also do with kicking on now (I appreciate she'll be trying very hard so probably not a helpful comment!), she's had success on LET and Rose Series but just doesn't seem to be able to compete on LPGA yet or fully on Futures. Perhaps a bit harsh but feels like she's got greater coverage than her ranking currently with people like Bronte Law better but rarely mentioned.

Definitely a bit more strength in depth building in the Women's game.

peld

Visit site
just turned that on - seems odd seeing pro's without a caddy.

Also, having seen a few bits of the LET, these smaller events are not great quality

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
LET is on Sky Sports You Tube currently; I know considerably below LPGA but thought i'd watch given Solheim uptick.

Caroline Hedwall is playing, and reminded me a bit of Leona Macguire. She took 5 points from 5 back in 2013 Solheim, got up to world number 26 but then seems to have completely fallen away since that season and no longer on LPGA. Just wondered if anyone knows how she lost form so bad? Don't think it will happen to Leona looking at her recent play in US but does go to show that she's been penciled in for 2023 Spain Solheim but could easily fall away.

Feels like Meg Maclaren could also do with kicking on now (I appreciate she'll be trying very hard so probably not a helpful comment!), she's had success on LET and Rose Series but just doesn't seem to be able to compete on LPGA yet or fully on Futures. Perhaps a bit harsh but feels like she's got greater coverage than her ranking currently with people like Bronte Law better but rarely mentioned.

Definitely a bit more strength in depth building in the Women's game.
Did Meg not win on the Symetra tour this year?

peld

Visit site
And with a pull trolley to match which has clearly been hired from the clubhouse. I guess you would when you've got to travel and take luggage on the plane.
I was thinking COVID might have caused an issue with caddies, but Switz is on the green list....?!

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Did Meg not win on the Symetra tour this year?

Yes, in fairness I've taken another look and she did in June, I think i thought she was leading and slipped or Covid got in the way. Symetra tour website is a bit unknown to me but looking at it i think top 10 get LPGA cards but currently Meg is in 16th with perhaps 4 tournaments to go so still a chance.