Solheim Cup 2021

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It's normally A/S, All Square isn't it?

On the first point, why not just say how many shots they had taken. That is the only relevant thing, unless putting second to win, square or save the hole.

Exactly. It was not only irrelevant , it also gave the impression that they weren't aware that it was match play. Of , course, they were but not really very professional of them.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What a great 3 days golf, thoroughly enjoyable and very impressive from our girls to battle through with no support. Although saying that, I think it was Georgia hall who said the silence almost spurred them on because they knew they were doing well.

The commentary was god awful. Dottie was so bitter, we were on 14 points with pederson guaranteed a half for a good 20 minutes and she was still going on about us ‘retaining’ the cup. And the team captain was equally ungracious. Very strange that.

Finally, delighted for Sagstrom after the pick up problem. She’s been through a lot and that would’ve been devastating had we lost because of that point.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Who do you think will be the two captains in Spain? Matthew has said she won't do it again which leaves Petterssen as a strong candidate if she can juggle her young family around

sunshine

Visit site
One question, on the coverage they talked about a player putting for an eagle or birdie. It's matchplay, surely that is irrelevant. I don't remember seeing that at the Ryder Cup or in matchplay comps. Was that simply the us coverage and commentators that use those references or is that normal and I simply have not noticed previously?

They always refer to putting for birdie / eagle in the Ryder Cup. It's good to know the first player has holed out for birdie for example and then the second player has a putt to tie (or for a half in English). Much more interesting to know the hole was halved in birdies or bogeys rather than 3's or 5's.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They always refer to putting for birdie / eagle in the Ryder Cup. It's good to know the first player has holed out for birdie for example and then the second player has a putt to tie (or for a half in English). Much more interesting to know the hole was halved in birdies or bogeys rather than 3's or 5's.
Interesting that they have done that in the Ryder Cup as well, I have never noticed it before. Can't say that I agree with the logic, it is about numbers not par etc, but that is just a personal preference.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Is there a reason she’s doing this?
Trying to get a feeling in the swing?

I watched that live, she didn’t wipe the mud off the face before taking her shot, the commentators had already said it was miles to carry the bunker and so I assumed she did it to take some spin off the driver? Would that work if the grooves were full of mud?

Personally, I don't think she meant to do it the first time. Then tried to cover it up with the second.

Now that sounds like something we’ve all done! Yep, meant to hit that thin, keep it below the wind!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was a bit worried when Brittany Altomare sank that long putt and went on to to win her match. That started a bit of the US comeback, but thankfully we survived.
I agree the coverage and commentary was poor, very biased and not very gracious :cry:.
Now roll on The Ryder Cup (y)(y)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Fantastic victory, and managed extremely professionally in the face of the Americans constantly trying to buoy the crowd. If anything, the celebrations at the end were a little understated.

Leona Maguire, what a superstar! Delighted for her and her family, inspired pick by Matthews.

Not much (I assume) that Sky could have done about the actual video feed, but the commentating appointments weren't great - it needed much more fanfare and chemistry rather subdued congratulations and sour grapes. Also, in the studio, I like Sophie but she's really not that enthusiastic or engaging unfortunately - the whole sky team was a bit 'meh'.

I thought Pedersen's putt at the end, combined with the leap and hug for her caddy followed by the kiss and hug for Kang's caddy (even if it is her bf) was the perfect ending. What I wouldn't give for Poults to be planting a smacker on his opponents caddie on the last singles match at the Ryder Cup to win it!

sunshine

Visit site
Last edited: