Solar panels , would you ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I suspect you have little understanding of the enormous challenges involved in getting a rocket to the sun. The amount of energy required is collosal.
And as someone else pointed out, the launch itself would be a massive safety risk.
I am well aware of the challenges and costs - including the safety risk. None of those need/should prevent 'doing the right thing' though. I don't envisage it happening in my lifetime though!
I frankly can't see why nuclear is being pushed by the government. By the time any new nuclear power stations can be built, we should have progressed sufficiently with solar/wind plus storage to render nuclear unnecessary. The continued objection of rich nimbys to solar farms and wind turbines is staggering - it's no good protecting the beauty of the countryside if 90% of the population can't afford to keep themselves warm.
It's 'pushed' because it has traditionally been the major contributor to 'renewables'
I believe you’re familiar with the term, utter twaddle.
Kindly explain why - practical/safety limitations apart, as I already know these exist.

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kindly explain why - practical/safety limitations apart, as I already know these exist.

It takes less energy to send things out of the solar system than to hit the sun. It’s simple physics and you’re intelligent enough to type it into Google.

You’re just on the wind up.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It takes less energy to send things out of the solar system than to hit the sun. It’s simple physics and you’re intelligent enough to type it into Google.
Are you suggesting that might be a better choice than into the sun? I'd challenge your 'less energy' assertion too. The Sun's gravity is a pretty powerful force! After all, it can keep the 6 thousand billion billion (6*10**21) ton Earth revolving around it when it's travelling at nearly 70,000mph and from 93Million miles away!

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a basic question that stands out.. we want to move away from fossil fuel ..

What do rockets run on? Wouldn't it defeat the objective

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There's an item in the first link that indicates that there's already been success in launching something into (or at least, touching) the sun! So it CAN be and HAS been done!
The other articles simply repeat the 'difficulties' and why we 'don't', not 'can't'.

Btw/FWIW. I have no issue with with it being more difficult to go to the sun that to leave the solar system. If it did head 'outwards though, that would grate somewhat - though probably irrationally, given the vastness of space. It just irks somewhat to repeat the same sort of shortcuts as previous generations, especially given that the alternative id feasible.

Happy to get back to 'Solar Panels' now. A simpler use of the Sun's power.

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you get enough Sun though? I remember going to an exhibition of Solar panel installers a few years ago and the manufacturer’s were saying it’s not really viable much past Carlisle.

View attachment 42300

It’s all relative I believe. The size of solar farm being proposed will provide enough power for xx homes whereas elsewhere it would provide yy at the same size.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Solar day today

My installer arrived 07:56 so nice and prompt.

Panels and telsa gateway (that's the bit that is the brains of the telsa operation) go in today.. when the battery arrives In the country (told August but I'm guessing November) that will be installed

12 panels going up , should cut my day usage to almost nothing during daylight hours

Let's see how it goes

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Screenshot_20220509-173729.png

Considering the system came online at 3pm I'm impressed with the production to usage

Once battery is here should be 70% energy independent most of time with battery topping up rest

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Screenshot_20220510-174102.png
Screenshot_20220510-174833~2.png

Solar came online at 6am this morning very slowly but came on. Very dull day until 2pm

The cost of what I've used from grid since midnight has cost £1 (7.75 on my cheap night rate rest on day rate)

Solar has run the rest of house and even sent some back to grid

Plugged in car at 2pm on the slow charger and topped up 5% for free

Impressed

1kw per panel on the top roof and 600w per panel on my front south east facing roof

Last edited:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry don't want to come across as crass but what's the ballpark figure for getting that all installed? You talking high 4 figures or 5 figures? I take it it's a 10 year ish payback?