Solar panels , would you ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t remember all the details. It was quite a while ago when the government where subsidising it.

That would probably be a 25 year lease on the roof rather than you owning the panels you leased out the roof to them .. which was up to the mortgage provider

Now you would be paying and it wouldn't be an issue

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would probably be a 25 year lease on the roof rather than you owning the panels you leased out the roof to them .. which was up to the mortgage provider

Now you would be paying and it wouldn't be an issue
Yes, I think you are right, wouldn’t be a problem now as the mortgage has been paid off. ? I doubt if we’ll do it now as we will be down sizing in a few years.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I think you are right, wouldn’t be a problem now as the mortgage has been paid off. ? I doubt if we’ll do it now as we will be down sizing in a few years.

Yeah if your moving whilst it would be great for more people to have them there is zero incentive for them to be installed if you won't break even

If whoever paid for them to be installed got a set fee per kw until break even then maybe it would encourage people who may move to have them fitted knowing they will one day get their cash back

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yeah if your moving whilst it would be great for more people to have them there is zero incentive for them to be installed if you won't break even

If whoever paid for them to be installed got a set fee per kw until break even then maybe it would encourage people who may move to have them fitted knowing they will one day get their cash back

I don’t understand the Govs position or thoughts on solar and batteries. There is a big push on going electric re cars and that, but my thoughts are the Gov could kill two birds with one stone here by pushing panels and battery storage.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t understand the Govs position or thoughts on solar and batteries. There is a big push on going electric re cars and that, but my thoughts are the Gov could kill two birds with one stone here by pushing panels and battery storage.

They don't have shares in solar or battery companies yet ...give it time tash lol ?

phillarrow

Visit site

I think they've started going down this road by introducing rules for new builds not having gas heating systems? I think?

I agree though, it would make more sense to me for the push to be on saving/alternative energy at home - at least hand in hand with vehicles whilst the infrastructure for EV is built up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It is very frustrating, I watched an interview by Elon Musk about solar and battery storage. He used an example that if you had a 100 mile by 100 mile patch of land in the Texas desert with batteries of 1 mile by 1 mile you could produce enough election to power the USA.. know I appreciate these figures have loads of factors like current loss over distance, maintenance etc etc

But if you take this idea.. and look around the UK.. look down your road.. how many roofs do you see without panels? each roof is potential .. if every roof had them just how much power could be harnessed ? of basically free electric .. very low maintenance.

the one stumbling block is cost.. yet how much is every nuclear plant we need to build...

more wind farms, more solar , more nuclear together we could become self reliant on energy as a country.

I mean the set up im going for is a bit extreme, 12 panels with 13.5kw battery and when you go on the Telsa energy plan they take ownership of it basically (whilst you are on plan you can leave anytime) they charge up your battery when the grid is cheap and discharge it when the grid is expensive , basically managing the grids demand a bit.. they are building a virtual grid

we need more ideas like this

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It is very frustrating, I watched an interview by Elon Musk about solar and battery storage. He used an example that if you had a 100 mile by 100 mile patch of land in the Texas desert with batteries of 1 mile by 1 mile you could produce enough election to power the USA.. know I appreciate these figures have loads of factors like current loss over distance, maintenance etc etc
I think another possible issue is the manufacture of 10,000 square miles of solar panels. That seems like rather a lot to me.

But if you take this idea.. and look around the UK.. look down your road.. how many roofs do you see without panels? each roof is potential .. if every roof had them just how much power could be harnessed ? of basically free electric .. very low maintenance.

the one stumbling block is cost.. yet how much is every nuclear plant we need to build...
I think we need some game changers to appear that will make PV panels much easier to produce on a large scale.

One such possibility is the PV solar film that's been developed.
Link to the company that's invented it:
https://powerroll.solar/unique-solar-film/

Youtube discussion:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think another possible issue is the manufacture of 10,000 square miles of solar panels. That seems like rather a lot to me.

I think we need some game changers to appear that will make PV panels much easier to produce on a large scale.

One such possibility is the PV solar film that's been developed.
Link to the company that's invented it:
https://powerroll.solar/unique-solar-film/

Youtube discussion:

It may be rather a lot but it's just an example and if you needed that many panels you could create an entire green Revolution and boost the economy

Very few downsides

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

more wind farms, more solar , more nuclear together we could become self reliant on energy as a country.

I mean the set up im going for is a bit extreme, 12 panels with 13.5kw battery and when you go on the Telsa energy plan they take ownership of it basically (whilst you are on plan you can leave anytime) they charge up your battery when the grid is cheap and discharge it when the grid is expensive , basically managing the grids demand a bit.. they are building a virtual grid

we need more ideas like this

This is one of the bits I find frustratin, everyone is subsidising nuclear, why can we not subsidise our own Solar. ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It may be rather a lot but it's just an example and if you needed that many panels you could create an entire green Revolution and boost the economy

Very few downsides
100% we should. And I know it has been suggested to government.

We could manufacture and install whole range of products that would power homes and heat water. Any surplus goes back into the grid.

It would create an industry, provide thousands of jobs and many people with free energy.
Give people the option to upgrade or add battery storage etc.

It should be mandatory on every new build. I’d go as far as making mandatory on existing homes.

Yes it would upset Daily Mail readers and Nimbys. But they are looking for something to get upset about anyway.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
100% we should. And I know it has been suggested to government.

We could manufacture and install whole range of products that would power homes and heat water. Any surplus goes back into the grid.

It would create an industry, provide thousands of jobs and many people with free energy.
Give people the option to upgrade or add battery storage etc.

It should be mandatory on every new build. I’d go as far as making mandatory on existing homes.

Yes it would upset Daily Mail readers and Nimbys. But they are looking for something to get upset about anyway.

The wife was dead against the panels, she always has been against them

When we moved in , no
When we got new roof with the loft , no
Is taken this energy crisis to get her to say yes and it was under duress

When she released they are going on front aswell as on top she was like but u will see them

I showed her Google earth of a house round corner that's covered in panels ... I mean covered .. she's like that's awful where is that..I'm like that's the house you say hi to every day.. is it? I've never noticed .. exactly my point you won't notice them once their up.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The wife was dead against the panels, she always has been against them

When we moved in , no
When we got new roof with the loft , no
Is taken this energy crisis to get her to say yes and it was under duress

When she released they are going on front aswell as on top she was like but u will see them

I showed her Google earth of a house round corner that's covered in panels ... I mean covered .. she's like that's awful where is that..I'm like that's the house you say hi to every day.. is it? I've never noticed .. exactly my point you won't notice them once their up.

You want to put solar panels up her dress? I'm not surprised she was against it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went for an hour's walk with the twins earlier. Trying to force a nap out of them with the clocks changing. Get them into routine

Anyways checked out some of the newer builds that went up about 5 years ago near me (houses) all had panels on them. Didn't look out of place and complimented the roof (easier on a new build I guess)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We need to cut down on russian gas..

Oh wait we don't want to install them in the country side incase it ruins the view

https://news.sky.com/story/building...ther-sources-of-energy-industry-says-12591406

I get not super lovely on the eyes but I'm sure those who have the micro nuclear plants popping up nearby don't want them either!
We do need to cut down on Russian gas, but as its only amoutns to 10% or our use we have some room. Building those solar farms may benefit one side of the arguement, but what about the agricultural use of the land thats lost? With Russia going at Ukraine, the World percentage loss of wheat and fertilizers mean we need to rethink certain approaches and directions.