Solar panels , would you ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cartainly something that I am considering. When I hit retirement, I want as few monthly outgoings as possible and to add solar panels would take one more thing off the list. That would then only leave the oil heating to pay for monthly.
Would it tempt you to move your heating across to electric do you think? Would the numbers stack up enough to get rid of oil?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Why? Interested to hear, not being picky. I would only see them as a positive.
Personally I would see it as a bonus.

If looking at two houses and all other things being equal. I’d go for the one with the solar. Unless they were part of one of those schemes where the installer owns them.

RichA

Visit site
Why? Interested to hear, not being picky. I would only see them as a positive.
There's too much information about them that doesn't make sense to me, in respect of house sales.
Supposedly they add 4% to the house value (£12k based on £300k) yet they cost £5k - £10k to install.
They save the average household £339 per year.
None of it adds up. I'd love to be self-sufficient, but it seems more idealistic than realistic.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I would see it as a bonus.

If looking at two houses and all other things being equal. I’d go for the one with the solar. Unless they were part of one of those schemes where the installer owns them.

What if you had to take on the debt as the new owner of th panels ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
What if you had to take on the debt as the new owner of th panels ?

Why would I? If the previous owner had borrowed money to put in a wood burner I wouldn’t be asked to take on the debt for that.

But, as with everything. It depends on the specific circumstances.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If someone told me I would be getting a return of 2k a year. Yes it would

Dealt with more than a few transactions where the seller had looked to retain the feed in tarriff or has looked for a separate payment to sell on the benefit to the new home owner.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Dealt with more than a few transactions where the seller had looked to retain the feed in tarriff or has looked for a separate payment to sell on the benefit to the new home owner.
Can believe it, it really is an attractive tax free income.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest. How are folk doing the calculations. Where are they getting figures from. Reason I ask. The price of electric etc has gone up. There different numbers that folk would Of used 2 months ago. So how accurate are the figures.

Im using price of electric for mine

4.5kw panels with 13.5kw battery

For example my current tariff (got lucky it auto renewed at same rate) 14p day 5.5p night (5 hours) so for year one the difference is not great but this is set up year

Year Two ATM if I stayed on go it's 30p day 8.25p night ..

So basically with my battery I move all my usage to night time and use solar to cover the rest

I average 25k a day

19.5 I can make night time and solar would cover the rest

£1 a day cost instead of £3.50 for year one

But year 2 cost goes to £1.60 a day but down from £7 Ish a day .. so bigger Margins

However I am considering going to the telsa energy plan 11p flat in and out the house

They get all your solar for 11p and u get much power as u need 11p

Works out roughly £90 a month on my usage .. instead of £220 a month

£1560 a year saving

Break even 10 years

However every increase in cost makes the saving more

For reference the TEP has risen to 11p.... From 8p .. so whilst standard electric is about 30-35p ATM it remains well below market

They are building a virtual power network

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I would and I want to, but I am also reluctant to go and spend £10k in one pop on something that isn't entirely necessary. And the misses wants to spend the money on a garden make over.
I think it's only worth it with battery storage, and then we don't have a utility room or a garage to put it all in. So it needs to be a battery pretty enough for a hallway (Sonnen maybe).
My main issue is when looking online, how do we know if someone offering an install is a cowboy or not.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would and I want to, but I am also reluctant to go and spend £10k in one pop on something that isn't entirely necessary. And the misses wants to spend the money on a garden make over.
I think it's only worth it with battery storage, and then we don't have a utility room or a garage to put it all in. So it needs to be a battery pretty enough for a hallway (Sonnen maybe).
My main issue is when looking online, how do we know if someone offering an install is a cowboy or not.

This is why I've put it on the mortgage. I did it over 10 years (same as the predicted break even point) 10 year fixed on a 10 year deal so always the same payment

I said to the Mrs right we can let our DD double and we pay the energy companies this money and get the same as we got before or we can invest it in our house and the payments can go long term gains

Also we went for telsa so the battery can live outside , have a nice spot for it

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Does know one else think they look bloody awful…..
I'd say that, like wind turbines, they looked out of place when they first appeared but nowadays they're just part of the environment and don't bother me at all.
Historically, I bet back when electricity pylons were first put up there was an outcry from the same types who these days don't want wind turbines. Eventually anything new that becomes widespread just gets accepted.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say that, like wind turbines, they looked out of place when they first appeared but nowadays they're just part of the environment and don't bother me at all.
Historically, I bet back when electricity pylons were first put up there was an outcry from the same types who these days don't want wind turbines. Eventually anything new that becomes widespread just gets accepted.

Also how often do you actually look at your own roof can't say I look there often

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can’t believe that they aren’t obligatory for house builders to fit and include in the price. All this retro fitting is a waste of time, resource and energy - buying in bulk and fitting during build would also considerably reduce costs.

Theirs a whole new village of new builds going up near me. 2 infact .. all seem to have panels which is great

There are so many unused roofs out there.. imagine how much electric we could save with them having panels